Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

jagger on bass
Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 22, 2005 12:33

on look what the cat dragged in, are jagger and darryl both playng bass(look at the booklet) but I just hear one bass line who knows whats up here???

Re: jagger on bass
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 22, 2005 19:44

I think Jagger plays the main bass part and they overdubbed a few Darryl bass licks, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure?

All I know is that now that Jagger is playing bass, the band finally does have a member on "bass and dancing," as Wyman was sarcastically refered to in the credits on Love You Live. One of my favorite Stones jokes ever!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 22, 2005 19:53

It could mean DJ overdubbing a few licks (maybe in the higher register). It could mean Jagger having laid down the original Basstrack and DJ come in later and punching in on the same track to fix a few mistakes. It could mean that the bassline was so much one guy's idea that he received equal billing, even if the other guy actually played it. It could even mean that both of them play Bass at the same time, and it was all recorded on to one track at once.(Although I doubt that last one..)

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 22, 2005 22:11

Pro Tools makes it so easy to edit or punch in, move bits around or loop them (compared to tape) that it probably becomes difficult to track what is actually kept of each players' performance.

You can go as far as just keep a single ride or snare hit from Mick from the backing track on top of Charlie's drums just because it sounds good when they mix the song and Charlie is not available to overdub - even though Don Was probably has gigs of loops from Charlie he could take a snare it from.

It's really as simple as a cut and paste in your word document. That said, it's just a very convenient tool - and you won't go anywhere without a good ear.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 23, 2005 02:50

"You won't go anywhere without a good ear"!

Have ears, will travel.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 23, 2005 05:22

Where on the album do people think it's definitely mick on bass? I'd like to get a sense of his playing style.

cc

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 23, 2005 05:58

<Where on the album do people think it's definitely mick on bass? I'd like to get a sense of his playing style.>

Sweet Neocon, Dangerous Beauty...

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 23, 2005 06:05

Mick is a machine. My cousin who is a long distance runner saw the Stones in T.O., he said he cound not keep up with Mick.

Mick writes most songs, he plays guitar, he plays harp, he plays bass, he can play drums, his singing is better than ever. He's a perfectionist.

He will live to be 100.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: October 23, 2005 06:58

I'll put a sawbuck on it that Keith outlives them all. The irony of life.

Milo, NYC
It's crazy, but it's true

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home