Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABB Tour better than Licks?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:24

I tell you honestly, when I heard the first bootlegs from the Licks tour I was quite disappointed. Yeah, I know it's an old story, but mainly because the guitars were so damn low in the mix and Chuck and he horn section was so dominating!
Of course there were some very nice performances as well and we got to hear a lot of rare songs.

But compare the recordings from the Licks tour to A Bigger Bang recordings!
The sound is so very much better, it's fantastic - the guitars are crisp, the drums sound very good to me, Mick is in top form! I mean, during the Licks tour we all complained that Ronnie cannot play anymore, but we mainly complained about that because we couldn't hear him in the mix. Some people said that it would be different if he was just higher in the mix - I agreed, and imo the recordings so far just show that this was the right thing to do! Sure, he hits a bum not more than just every once in a while, but the guitars are loud and the band sounds very tight on some songs! Some songs just sound great, Ruby Tuesday, She's So Cold, Sweet Virginia, YGMR, All Down The Line, Night Time (yeah, I do love Lisa on that!), etc.

And seriously, I don't care so much about the setlist. I rather hear the more or less same, great working songs in a great atmosphere with some surprises thrown in than hearing a Vegas version of the Stones doing obsucre songs in a puzzled audience!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Re: ABB Tour better than Licks?
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:27

Musically : They play much better on this tour

Set-List : No point... Still today, we donĀ“t give credit to what they does on the Licks Tour... So many differents set-list, so many not usual songs... Someday we will value the Licks Tour how this deserve...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:30

Have to add something: the only thing that I don't understand is why they don't play more songs from ABB. But now we already got Rain Fall Down added, guess there is hope for some more smiling smiley

Kaskatanas: I see your point about the setlist - but if i can choose between rare songs and rather bad performcance and more popular songs and better performance I choose the latter and therefore the ABB tour!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-21 00:36 by Lorenz.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:34

Hi!!!
i agree with you kaskatanas, just one thing: I'd like to see Keith singin Happy, Before they make mu run, as in Licks tour, or Little t&a just like the old days!!! It'll be great!

Posted by: arnaud ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:40

in 2002/2003 they play differents set list in different place ....
in 2005/2006 they play the same set list except one or two songs....
there is a show in big place (40000/50000 places) technology take a biiger place...

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:46

yeah, they play the same set list every night, like the seventies tours, but who care, they're the Stones!!!! Anyway i think they will play lot of other songs as the tour go on, especially in Europe.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:52

i think the 5 weeks off in dec-jan will bring more variety to the end of the u.s. tour.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:56

the playing is not noticeably different. the mix at the theater shows and some of the other Licks shows was comparable to ABB tour. Bottomline was that the Licks tour represented an incredible variety in the setlist and this is virtually absent this time - I give the overwhelming nod to Licks at this point in time.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 21, 2005 02:30

Lorenz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tell you honestly, when I heard the first
> bootlegs from the Licks tour I was quite
> disappointed. Yeah, I know it's an old story, but
> mainly because the guitars were so damn low in the
> mix and Chuck and he horn section was so
> dominating!
> Of course there were some very nice performances
> as well and we got to hear a lot of rare songs.
>
> But compare the recordings from the Licks tour to
> A Bigger Bang recordings!
> The sound is so very much better, it's fantastic -
> the guitars are crisp, the drums sound very good
> to me, Mick is in top form! I mean, during the
> Licks tour we all complained that Ronnie cannot
> play anymore, but we mainly complained about that
> because we couldn't hear him in the mix. Some
> people said that it would be different if he was
> just higher in the mix - I agreed, and imo the
> recordings so far just show that this was the
> right thing to do! Sure, he hits a bum not more
> than just every once in a while, but the guitars
> are loud and the band sounds very tight on some
> songs! Some songs just sound great, Ruby Tuesday,
> She's So Cold, Sweet Virginia, YGMR, All Down The
> Line, Night Time (yeah, I do love Lisa on that!),
> etc.
>
> And seriously, I don't care so much about the
> setlist. I rather hear the more or less same,
> great working songs in a great atmosphere with
> some surprises thrown in than hearing a Vegas
> version of the Stones doing obsucre songs in a
> puzzled audience!
word. Licks was worst tour ever, ABB is best since 75

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 21, 2005 05:09

Licks had more variety. We may still get more variety on ABB tour than we have been, but it won't match up to Licks. But I'll take a great new album and five (and counting) new songs over rarities any day. And the guitars are up! ABB tour is better.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:55

Agree with kaskatanas, musically they play much better on this tour. Also louder guitars.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 21, 2005 11:39

It's funny but the same people told the same stories comparing the Licks Tour with the B2B-Tour ... *lol*

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 21, 2005 11:59

For me, the defining characteristic of this tour is that they've FINALLY got the sound issue sorted. Maybe I've just been slightly unlucky with where I've been stood/sat in the various venues I've seen them over all the recent tours (including Licks), but it doid seem to me that the common denominator between all of these tours was that there was inevitably less than perfect sound wherever/whenever. By comparison, I was at the MSG, Giants and Albany shows on this tour with three friends, and absolutely all of us remarked on the dramatic improvement in the sound.

No comment about setlists, that's one subject that's been thrashed to death.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 21, 2005 12:07

I agree 100% with you Lorenz.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: October 21, 2005 12:18

It's difficult to say ANY tour was better than 40 Licks... the shows I saw on that tour had an incredible level of musicianship and consistency...

I feel that ABB has some great high points at every show, and the highs might even be slightly higher than 40 licks... but song-for-song 40 Licks was a masterpiece of a tour.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2005 17:19

'Licks had more variety. We may still get more variety on ABB tour than we have been, but it won't match up to Licks. But I'll take a great new album and five (and counting) new songs over rarities any day. And the guitars are up! ABB tour is better.'

I totally agree with you, ohnonotyouagain!

Posted by: salar ()
Date: October 22, 2005 17:37

Soundwise ABB IS better...so far.
Setlistwise.....we have to wait till the end of US leg to compare fairly.
IMO they have to put more new tunes from ABB into the setlist.
Stagedesign....ABB seems to be better stadiumwise...can not compare the arenas, they sem to be equal
Lighstshow.....seems to be equal

Have to say that I did not see one single show from ABB tour so far.
I will join the tour next year.
All my infos are from internet, cd`s,mp3,boots some videos and so on.
I ask myself if I change my opinion after being to some ABB shows.
we`ll see.

Cheers
salar

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 22, 2005 17:46

Guys...this talk about adding more ABB song's to the setlist...as much as I want it to happen as well, I doubt it will. Song's could be added but that means other's will be taken out. I don't think Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again will ever leave the set. If you notice, Rain Fall Down has substituted for Back Of My Hand so I feel these are the two that could be taken out in place of other songs. I know they have rehearsed She Saw Me Coming and they even did it at a few soundchecks so possibly after this week they have off we will get some different songs. I also feel Keith is going to drop Infamy for This Place Is Empty eventually. Perhaps next week we'll get Streets Of Love and She Saw Me Coming in the set rather than Back Of My Hand and Rain Fall Down. Although if Rain is the next single, who knows...these guys confuse the hell out of me. As for the sound, I think it's great. Guitar's are up front and raunchy...backup singers not used on every song, keyboards and horns low in the mix.

As for Licks, there were some shows with bad sound but look at the setlists we got! Stray Cat Blues, If You Can't Rock Me, That's How Strong My Love Is, etc...
I didn't attend any shows on the tour but I have heard many recordings and all I can say is that first MSG show in '03, 1/16/03, is killer. It's the boot called "Alive and Dressed To Kill".

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: October 22, 2005 18:28

I wish I could say with confidence that variety will come to the setlist but I just don't believe in my heart it will. I loved the Licks Tour because they were willing to experiment. I also understand that they weren't touring behind a new album which leads to why don't they play more from ABB. It is the ABB tour right? The performances have been great but frankly this tour pales in comparison to Licks. Some people like to hear the same songs over again because they play them so well but I would prefer a rough version of something never tried before. To each their own I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-22 20:33 by FAH3.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 22, 2005 18:38

my sentiments, exactly, FAH3.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 22, 2005 18:56

saw 3 licks shows & 4 abb shows ,,,IMO this tour crushes licks ,, i liked no security tour much better than licks also

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 22, 2005 19:05

licks is much better, the set list, the venues win hands down, no contest

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home