Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ok so this is how young i am....
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: October 20, 2005 15:40

i was born in the year when tattoo you came out.
but i am curious, when the 80's rolled around, and some of you were hardcore stones fans. what did you think when emotional rescue came along? like really, the stones had to have been the most noted rock band, and then this album came along.... what was your initial reaction? sure you may like the album'now' but did it shake you as a stones fan? what about undercover? or even black and blue to an extent. it does seem like these albums came out of left field.

im curious to know, from those of you who weren't infants at this time, how these albums affected you when they first came out.

Re: ok so this is how young i am....
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 20, 2005 15:59

Good question! I was 16 when it came out and I remember hating the title song(it came out before the album) so much, I mean I really thought what the hell is this crap! It was not until I heard She's so cold on the radio I bought the album, I thought it was just ok then and It really did not get better with age, There are a few standout tracks like Dance and She's so cold and I think All about you is one of Keith's best ever but it is in general much weaker then Some Girls and Tatoo You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 16:00 by Ket.

Posted by: short&curlies ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:01

I just fiqured the Stone's golden age was over. They would still come up with a good song now and then but they pretty much shot their wad from 69 to 73. Same thing with the Who and Zepplin. Townsend was genius 67 thru 73 but then was pretty much through. Zep was done after Physical Grafetti for the most part. IMO that seems to be the pattern in R&R. The drugs,sex and R&R zaps that creativity. How many GREAT songs did Lennon/McCartney write after the breakup? Yes, I know there are exceptions, but do you agree with the overall pattern?

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:08

In fact we were to enter into the most disastrous decade in terms of rock and roll.
Anybody remembers tchno-pop, spandau ballet, wham and all this crap?

If I could I'd erase the eighties, although nowadays it isn't much better

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:14

I missed ER (was born in 68).

Tattoo You was the first I bought at the time it was released. Loved side 1. Hated side 2 (and you can still see this on my original LP).

Still Life I did like, but I wanted a double, therefore I was somehow disapointed

Undercover I loved.

Dirty Works I loved.

Steel Wheels (my first stones CD) so and so. Honestly I was excited by the release, but expected something more. It slighly grew up on me later in the years.

Also consider that at the time DW was released, the only evidence of "classic" stones I had was the compilation Rolled Gold (on tape) and the great Love you Live.

C

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:16

ER was the first Stones album that I bought "new" (I had a few Stones albums but all had been out for a while by the time I got them. I bought this one on the day it came out - something I've done ever since, with the exception of Live Licks which I boycotted in disgust until I got it in a bargain bin...but I digress)

I was outraged and embarrassed when I heard the title song which was the first single. My initial reaction was literally "what the hell is this - the Bee Gees?" Even now, I'd rate it as their weakest single, although some of the music on it has grown on me of late.

I thought that the album was a big disappointment after the greatness of Some Girls. In some ways, I still do although I've appreciated it more with time. Some Girls just was a hard act to follow, yet when you hear Tattoo You (which I loved from the first block chord when I woke up one morning on my school holidays and heard an interview with Jagger followed by Start Me Up on the radio) it shows that they still had it at that period.

The songs I like at the start were Where The Boys Go, Shes So Cold and Let Me Go. I thought most of the rest of it was passable apart from a couple of stiffs. I couldnt get "All about you" for many years but now I love it. "Where the boys go" is still by a mile my favourite track on it and I never tire of it - although for some reason, most folks here dislike it.

ER could and should have been a better album. Another part of the anti climax was that the bloody thing's released date ended up being delayed for about 6 months! What I DO love about this album is the sound. The mesh of guitars around that period was never better IMO. And its one of the few Stones albums ("Dirty work" being another) where the outtakes are in many cases as good as the released product..

..oh, and the Stones never sounded as funky before or since as they are on "Dance" - but especially on Dance Pt.2 - which was only released on Sucking In the 70s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-21 14:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:19

I was 18 when Emotional Rescue came out.Was already a big fan for many long years (since sticky fingers).
ER was a shock ,all my friends were teasing me with the title song and Mick's falsetto voice.I've found this album terrible and still do.The LP is gathering dust in my collection and I have probably listened to the CD only once.I like She's so cold and also All about you.The rest is negligeable to me.
As far as Black n blue is concerned it's a different feeling.It was during my teens and discotheques were playing slow songs at that time .So Fool to cry was the perfect song for a date..besides Hand of fate,Melody and Hot Stuff are pretty good songs IMHO.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 16:20

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 20, 2005 19:12

canadian.sway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was born in the year when tattoo you came out.
> but i am curious, when the 80's rolled around, and
> some of you were hardcore stones fans. what did
> you think when emotional rescue came along? like
> really, the stones had to have been the most noted
> rock band, and then this album came along.... what
> was your initial reaction? sure you may like the
> album'now' but did it shake you as a stones fan?
> what about undercover? or even black and blue to
> an extent. it does seem like these albums came out
> of left field.
>
> im curious to know, from those of you who weren't
> infants at this time, how these albums affected
> you when they first came out.

canadian sway...i bought "emotional rescue" the day it came out...my initial reaction was dissapointment....i had high expectations after "some girls" so my anticipation was high...but in true stones fashion the music "grew" on me quickly and i came to like it alot

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 20, 2005 19:22

canadian.sway Wrote:

Sway: Your mother wouldn't be Linda, a blonde from Ottawa, would she?

Just kidding!!! cool smiley

I was 21 when ER came out. Some Girls had been the soundtrack to one of my best summers, and I can't tell you how many times my friends and I partied to it. So ER was a major disapointment, as it just wasn't good party music at all. Over the years I've come to appreciate a few of the tunes, but still consider it a lackluster effort.

Undercover almost made me ill upon its release. I still think it is one of the worst Stones' releases. Black n Blue was cool, it was quite a change in sound for the band. Being the first post-Taylor release, it was interesting to hear the band dynamic change. It is an album that has improved, for me, with time.

Karl

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 19:25

I got into the Stones because of EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER was the first album I bought the day it came out ...waiting for the mall to open. I didn't know any of the songs from BLACK AND BLUE but it did throw me when I first listened to it. I realized then it was one of their most underrated albums. The only real "shock" I have ever recieved is seeing the stupid BRIDGES TO BABYLON cover... an overdosing cowardly lion with curlers in his hair... more meow than a roar... sad day indeed. I waited till the last minute to grab the disc and buy it. Shame shame shame... But... I ran to get BB!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 20, 2005 19:26

i was 21 when it came out - was still on the SG "high" - and I was not disappointed one iota. I think I recognized it wasn't quite in SG's league right away but was smitten by Where the Boys Go, Down in the Hole, Indian Girl, She's So Cold, Let Me Go and All About You right from the get-go. Still love the album. First disappointment in a Stones album didn't come until UC, where I realized the magic was waning...it wouldn't be until 85's Dirty Work where I began to wonder "what the hell is going on?" I'm still wondering....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2005 19:26

pained smile: yeah i remember how stunned i was the first time i heard ER (the song).
i recovered my poise (sort of, a little) by deciding the Stones must mean it as a joke.
the scary part was that one had no way of knowing for sure that this was just a sort of fluke -
i mean, for all we knew at the time, the Stones were going to sound like this all the time from now on [ack ack ack!].

my ER Snit wasn't as bad as my Angie Snit had been, though -
with time you get better at ducking when the Stones throw some sort of Major Weird-Out at you.
LoFL: look how fast i recovered from SOL! :E

but ER is still far and away the Stones album i listen to least,
and i still turn strange colours when the title track comes on.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 20, 2005 21:36

I was 10 when ER came out and not into the Stones yet. It has always been one of my least favorite Stones albums. The only one I like less in Undercover. I can enjoy ER's title track to some extent because I regard it as camp, a parody of disco (whether that was the intent or not). I love She's So Cold, but can't get into any of the rest of them (although All About You has grown on me some).

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 20, 2005 21:37

I'm younger than you. So I don't remember at all.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 22:18

My parents did not even know each other when ER came out. I was born when UC came out. The first Stone's album i bought was BtB. I love all three albums.

Josh

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 20, 2005 22:39

canadian.sway Wrote:
> but i am curious, when the 80's rolled around, and
> some of you were hardcore stones fans. what did
> you think when emotional rescue came along? like
> really, the stones had to have been the most noted
> rock band, and then this album came along.... what
> was your initial reaction? sure you may like the
> album'now' but did it shake you as a stones fan?
> what about undercover? or even black and blue to
> an extent. it does seem like these albums came out
> of left field.
>
> im curious to know, from those of you who weren't
> infants at this time, how these albums affected
> you when they first came out.

Sway...great question i was a senior in high school in 82.....i loved ER...shes so sold let me go i had the poster !!...i started getting into the stones in 10th grade my older brother had the "hot rocks" album ....we used to play paint it black and SFTD before our high school hockey and lacrosse games as warm up music....i saw THE STONES in phily 1981 for my 16th b-day, george thoorgood and journey, the fans Booed journey off stage!! been a huge fan ever since ..my mom bless her heart bought me a ticket for my second show in 81 , at syarcuse for 17.50$...on the floor!!! love the stone s been to 34 shows as a younger fan what do your friends think that you like em do other kids or people your age like em?? i also always get the new albums the day they come out ...tuesday's ..... all the best Tat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 22:40 by tat2you.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: October 21, 2005 00:32

i was just turning 14 when it came out and the first thing that surprised me about it was how 'clean' the guitars were in the production. hardly any distortion at at all. i was also surprised at the amount of slide/lap steel on it.

since i was already a big stones fan at age 11 it didn't matter much what they would release, i still liked it...but it didn't rock enough for me. i like it now and just see it as photograph of the time.

i still like the video of 'shes so cold'. i remember staying up late to see it on midnite special or some video program.

Date: October 21, 2005 00:57

what do your friends think that you like em do other kids or people your age like em?? - tat 2 you

a lot of my friends like a few stones songs ie- paint i black, gimmie shelter, sympathy for the devil etc.
but few understand 'the stones' or why i am so into them. i like the stones because i see them as a few seperate bands.
i see an oldies rnb band (62-66)
i see them as the best rock band ever (67-73)
i see them as a band pushing what is rock (74-79)
and a dance based band (77-83)
and then sort of the modern sound (dirty work on)

i sort of see each section of the band as a different band, and can appreciate each 'band' on its own terms.
really though, for people my age, in ontario, the stones is more about the image, ie- the lips t-shirts, keith image shirts etc. it gives that rock and roll look that is hip, so i think that is really to the extent that most people like the stones... ie for what they look like, not so much about the music.

people my age like zepplin, pink floyd etc. but somehow they just kind of miss what the stones are about. i can see from this post that i can't totally put it in words, but the stones have something, and its like a secret club, or being in on the seceret and give everyone else here 'the secret wink' cause we are in on it.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: October 21, 2005 01:05

ER was widely panned at the time. It had seemed the Stones were going Disco
by a lot of their Rock fans. The music scene was quite sharply divided along those lines back then. Disco was considered superficial, quite commercial, by many of the rockers anyway. For many it seemd the Stones had sold out.

I always enjoyed the Stones funk and r+b sound, and their more hard rock stuff too. I didn't think it was as strong an album as SG. Sometimes blew hot and cold on it but kept listening to it, and over time it has quite grown on me. Maybe not a classic, but I don't think it deserved the bad reviews at the time.

By the way, the title song was a big hit here in Toronto at the time, and album sales were good.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: October 21, 2005 02:50

I was 16 when it came out and I was so pysched it wasn't funny. I would stay up late on Friday night in hopes that they would play the "She's so Cold" video. What a great video btw. Still love the album front to back. There's nothing wrong with ER as far as I'm concerned.

Date: October 21, 2005 04:26

I was seven or eight when ER came out, but I didn't really understand who the Stones were until Hangfire was on the charts in the summer/fall of '81. The first Stones album I bought was Undercover, then Hot Rocks, then Sticky Fingers, then Suckin' in the Seventies.

To me, I love the disco/dance/R&B side of the Stones. Miss You was #1 on the R&B charts and that proves that skinny English guitar freaks can STILL tap in to that raw disco/groove/dance/R&B vein.

I bought ER a LONG time after it came out, on cassette, from a thrift store. I wore it out. It think it's a damn fine album; lively, rockin', well-sequenced. My tape player had auto repeat/auto reverse, and I can remember listening to ER many times over in single settings.

When I started getting into the Stones in middle school, they were considered somewhat effeminate compared to the hard rock/heavey metal of the day; i.e., Motley Crue, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Metallica, (and even... Bon Jovi.) Now, some metal I can apprecitate, some "Hard rock" I can listen to. I hate Motely Crue and Bon Jovi; AC/DC is good; priest okay; Metallica makes me wanna puke (reminds of my first real bad taste of Bud, hangovers, etc.).

But no band does it for me like the Stones.

Date: October 21, 2005 06:03

hey guys
thanks for making this my first post that went over 20 replies, and it is now on the second page.
the way i have been introduced to the stones was through the 60s and 70s stuff. i knew a bit of B2B and VL. but finally one day i uncovered my dads records and found emotional rescue, tattoo you,undercover, dirty work and steel wheels. this really changed how i saw the stones. at first i wasn't terribly into it, again, this era i kind of see as a different band.
however, i have to admit i am a fan of undercover (as an album, not so much the song). dirty work and steel wheels are kind of right offs to me, a few good tracks, but not a complete album).

however, as far as emotional rescue goes, i am a fan of dance, summer romance, let me go and down in the hole. to me its far from a great stones album, but had some other band put it out, i would probably be pretty into it. i do like it as a whole, but wouldn't say that any one individual track really stands out.

just some thoughts

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:15

I was only 7 years old when ER was released. Still one of my favorite Stones albums....even though it gets bashed on a regular basis in here.

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:19

I hated it. I still don't think much of it. To me, it was the beginning of the end for the Stones as a band whose album releases were big events to look forward to.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:23

I was 21 when it came out and I was expecting another Some Girls, I guess, when ER came out. But it wasn't even close, in fact, it sucked! My best friend and I were so bummed (we rocked out all summer to SG when it came out). To this day - well, I don't even own it on CD.

I thought Undercover was terrible (still do) and Black and Blue was just ok.

Date: October 21, 2005 12:59

I was im my mid twenties when TY came out, loved it as well as the tour. Was dissapointed by everything that followed from the studio and the jury is still out on ABB

Date: October 21, 2005 15:45

as a lot of you have now mentioned, i sort of feel emotional rescue was the end of an era for the stones. even post exile stuff was still pretty good rock, but after emotional rescue, nothing since has quite had the same 'sound'. not to say that there aren't good songs, but somehow the stones feel left the band.

emotional rescue feels like a mick album, so do undercover, steel wheels and brdiges to babylon. feels like a band looking for hits/ a contemporary sound rather than the stones.

Re: baby you're too tight for me ...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 22, 2005 15:40

>> after emotional rescue, nothing since has quite had the same 'sound'.
not to say that there aren't good songs, but somehow the stones feel left the band. <<

okay, i have been brooding over how restrictive it sounds to say that the Stones have lacked "the Stones feel" for over half their career.
it sounds especially unfortunate coming from one of the younger fans.
here's a really nicely-done essay that i'm hoping you'll find worthwhile, especially if you read it thoughtfully:
[www.timeisonourside.com]

thank all that is praiseworthy that the Stones have broader horizons ...

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-22 16:08 by with sssoul.

Re: baby you're too tight for me ...
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 22, 2005 18:51

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> after emotional rescue, nothing since has
> quite had the same 'sound'.
> not to say that there aren't good songs, but
> somehow the stones feel left the band. <<
>
> okay, i have been brooding over how restrictive it
> sounds to say that the Stones have lacked "the
> Stones feel" for over half their career.
> it sounds especially unfortunate coming from one
> of the younger fans.
> here's a really nicely-done essay that i'm hoping
> you'll find worthwhile, especially if you read it
> thoughtfully:
>
>
> thank all that is praiseworthy that the Stones
> have broader horizons ...
>
> "Music, to me, is the joy, right?"
> - Keith
>
> - september 1965
> (courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

I definitely wouldn't say the Stones lost their sound/feel around that time, or ever. To me, everything after Exile has been hit and miss, with the exception of Some Girls. That doesn't mean it has been bad, just that through Exile they were on an exalted level that few bands ever obtain, and since then they have been "merely" a great band.

Yeah, I'm not that crazy about ER, Undercover or Steel Wheels other than a few songs from each, but I feel the same way about Goat's Head, It's Only Rock 'N' Roll and Black and Blue. I know that is blasphemy to some on this board, but so be it. And here's more blasphemy: I like Voodoo Lounge, Bridges and ABB better than any of the other albums I mentioned in this paragraph. The Stones roll on, still a great band even though not quite at the level of the '60s thru '72!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home