Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

San Diego '69 and Oakland '69 Boots
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:07

just listening to San Diego '69....i think i read that this was the same taper who did the Oakland '69 show (liver than youll ever be)....i can't get over how good the sound is on these audience recordings.(especially in the context of when they were recorded)...all instruments are very clear (drums a little low but still there)...has a good "full sound"....cranked up they sound FANTASTIC!!!.............feedback anyone?

Re: San Diego '69 and Oakland '69 Boots
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:14

I have both of these shows as a well and they rank amongst the best sounding of the '69 tour (IMO) and are among my favorites of any Stones live shows. Highlights? Hmmmmmm, that's a hard one but "I'm Free" and "Under My Thumb" from this tour and these shows were especially good. Hell, I'm going to listen to them right now! Thanks for the suggestion Leonard!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:17

i only got liver than. so san diego is worth getting then?

Date: October 19, 2005 23:18

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i only got liver than. so san diego is worth
> getting then?

Hell Yes!!!...right up there with liver.....guaranteed satisfaction

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:20

thanks leonard. i'll get crackin' on it!

Date: October 19, 2005 23:31

Drop us a an e-mail with your address Mr Flash and I'll send you a copy!

Posted by: Roger457 ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:37

Absolutely agree Leonard!!!!!

I actually think San Diego has better sound than Liver. As a matter of fact, I think San Diego is the best sounding of the 69 boots. The version of I'm Free and Under My Thumb are incredible!! Those two should have been on Ya Ya's. I've got the Swingin' Pig version and the Sister Morphine title called Nasty Habits, Water Rats & A Womans Touch of the San Diego show. The Sister Morphine title is a nice upgrade over the Swingin Pig Version. Highly recommended!

Roger

Date: October 19, 2005 23:45

Roger457 Wrote:
> Absolutely agree Leonard!!!!!
>
> I actually think San Diego has better sound than
> Liver. As a matter of fact, I think San Diego is
> the best sounding of the 69 boots. The version of
> I'm Free and Under My Thumb are incredible!!
> Those two should have been on Ya Ya's. I've got
> the Swingin' Pig version and the Sister Morphine
> title called Nasty Habits, Water Rats & A
> Womans Touch of the San Diego show. The Sister
> Morphine title is a nice upgrade over the Swingin
> Pig Version. Highly recommended!
>
> Roger

Hey Roger, still hoping for an "expanded edition" of ya-yas with: gimme shelter, under my thumb, i'm free, you gotta move, prodigal son & satisfaction for all of the '69 tour fanatics.....but i'm not holding my breath...best wishes

Date: October 19, 2005 23:50

I won't hold my breath either, Leonard. However, if it ever happens I can die a happy man!!

Sad thing is they are probably in the vaults all mixed and ready to go but were shelved when the record label scratched the double lp idea.

Sad...

Roger

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: October 19, 2005 23:57

I got this Boot (Vinyl) called 2nd Incarnation from World Records/Wizardoo and once someone here in IORR told me is from San Diego in 69!!its Great!!

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:08

Oh how great it would be to get a 'complete' remake of "Ya-Yas" as CD and DVD from the tapes that do f...ing exist!!!!

But the Stones themselves are not interested in archive recordings. The record companies involved prove their unawareness / uninterest in putting out something like the 'new' rarities CD (and, an experience I made myself, aren't interested in fans or experts advice! Hello, people from Virgin, Germany...remember Munich 1998....lol)

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 20, 2005 00:14

if youre reading this Mr.Jagger/Mr.Richards....how about hiring an archivist whos sympathetic to the fans to organize and package your "sonic" history?....more "chump change" for yourselves and some extremely happy and grateful fans

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:15

same taper for all the west coast shows - he set up reel-to-reel on the stage. san diego is the best recording, IMO - but the 2nd Oakland is the hottest show

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:17

Leonard, forget about the archivist thing, it's been tried and ended in kinda disaster!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 20, 2005 00:19

StonesTod Wrote:
> same taper for all the west coast shows - he set
> up reel-to-reel on the stage. san diego is the
> best recording, IMO - but the 2nd Oakland is the
> hottest show

yes, it was a different world then....sets up a reel to reel on stage!!!....too bad he wasnt at every show in '69

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:20

These are both excellent 1969 tour recordings and are worth getting. Nice recordings, but you know the setlists were pretty much the same on that tour. Just a little levity...

Date: October 20, 2005 00:24

G. the Cock Wrote:
> Leonard, forget about the archivist thing, it's
> been tried and ended in kinda disaster!
>
>
> Truth is stranger than fiction
>
> stoned greetings
> G. The Cock

damn it!!! now you've gone and rained on my parade.....LOL!!! they need to "screen" their archivers better...LOL!!!

Posted by: artur34 ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:26

well san diego may be the best sounding boot but like oakland shows the performance is not so hot.. unfortunaly only these shows and in many different releases ,show up on torrent trackers

Date: October 20, 2005 00:29

also "liver than you'll never be"(the second oakland show)has excellent sound too...but suffers from technical problems

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 00:31 by Leonard Keringer.

Date: October 20, 2005 00:31

I thought they missed a golden opportunity when the Abkco remasters were done. I know many will disagree because the intent of the remasters was to upgrade the original releases. But geez...Ya' Ya's could have been a dream for all of us if they had gone the extra mile. At least they could have put the complete Sympathy on it!

Oh well...

Roger

Date: October 20, 2005 00:31

Filstan wrote "but you know the setlists were pretty much the same on that tour. Just a little levity..."

Indeed! But at least they were new songs!

Date: October 20, 2005 00:33

now we've reached the "pinnacle" of criticism...the sacred '69 tour setlist..lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 00:36 by Leonard Keringer.

Date: October 20, 2005 00:37

Exactly Chris!!! 10 of the standard 15 song setlist were less than 2 years old!! Add Little Queenie and you have 11 "new" songs being played. Plus, many of the live versions were much different than the studio recordings. Examples are Sympathy and Stray Cat Blues.

Roger

Date: October 20, 2005 00:41

thats what i've always loved about ya-yas....the difference between the live and studio versions...its like your getting a "new" song....especially stray cat blues, midnight rambler, sympathy for the devil, street fighting man (the "kick-ass" factor was taken up a huge notch with these versions....i was never a big fan of copying studio tracks note for note live...i love the live improvisations...best all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-20 00:42 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 20, 2005 00:42

devil's disciple pretty good & cocaine on a dentist chairs disc # 2 versions of vain , gotta move & p. son R excellent quality ,,does any1 no y its only those 3 tracks on disc 2 thats in very good quality,,thats strange since its the whole show from champaign ,ILL. Nov. 15

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 21, 2005 03:31

Well of course there were lots of "new" songs played in 1969. The band was only 6 years old at the time! LIB had not been released yet when I saw them so MR, LWM, GS were really new ones. HTW was the current single. JJF was still fresh as well as was Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: October 22, 2005 04:01

G. the Cock Wrote:
> Leonard, forget about the archivist thing, it's
> been tried and ended in kinda disaster!
>
>
> Truth is stranger than fiction
>
> stoned greetings
> G. The Cock

Really?

Do you know when? Do you know why/how it fell through? Please tell.

I've always loved history, and I once worked in an archive, and the idea of an all Stones archive would be really cool to see.

Date: October 22, 2005 07:16

Filstan, I was merely extending your levity!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home