Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Film Maker ROMAN POLANSKI Arrested in ZURICH on 31 yr. old arrest warrant !!!
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 28, 2009 01:16

Is anyone truly surprised at Helter's position on this topic? He's so infatuated with Hollywood & Celebrities etc...
He's "Mr. People Magazine".... "Mr. USA is always wrong"..."Mr. I Wanna Be Outrageous" on the IORR board.

Hey Helter...I'm really not saying anything that's not blatantly obvious...and I respect
some of your opinions on other topics but..I don't even think you expected this
much backlash. (Hey MicksBrain....this is a NO BRAINER.)

And...the fact that RP was friends with MJagger is supposed to sway my opinion?

The fact the Mick was friends with RP & Papa John is swaying my opinion about Mick.

IORR............but I like it!

Re: OT: Film Maker ROMAN POLANSKI Arrested in ZURICH on 31 yr. old arrest warrant !!!
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 28, 2009 01:18

SPECTOR - POLANSKI

...WHO's next?

Famous or Infamous

HMN

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:08

It's nice to see that most people on here don't tolerate what Polanski has done. Gives one a little faith in humanity.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:14

(09-27) 16:35 PDT LOS ANGELES, (AP) --

A surprise arrest at the Zurich airport, detention at the hands of Swiss authorities, and a high-profile extradition process that could take weeks or months. The irony is that for Roman Polanski, the acclaimed director accused of child rape three decades ago, this latest ordeal could lead to the one thing he's lacked since: his freedom.

Polanski's arrest as he arrived Saturday in Switzerland for a film festival honor could potentially spur on his legal team's recent motion to dismiss charges that have dogged him since he fled the U.S. for France in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

But it could also elevate his case into an international ordeal — involving the governments of Switzerland, France, Poland and the United States — and potentially complicate his possible extradition.

"The big issue is whether it would have been better for him to negotiate a surrender when he had the chance," Loyola University law professor Laurie Levenson said. "Now it has become an international incident and the district attorney may be under pressure not to negotiate a sweetheart deal. They've gone to all this trouble of getting Switzerland involved. It could make it harder on him."

Nevertheless, some believe the arrest of the 76-year-old Academy Award winner could lead to a resolution that will allow him to once again travel freely.

"I think he will finally get his day in court," criminal defense attorney Steve Cron said, "and there's a good chance his case will be dismissed or the sentence will be commuted to time served."

Meanwhile, Poland and France intend to make a joint appeal to Switzerland and the United States to have Polanski released from his detention, Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski told the Polish news agency PAP. Sikorski said he and French counterpart Bernard Kouchner also plan to ask Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to offer Polanski clemency.

"The good news for him is he's been living under a cloud all these years wondering who would swoop in and arrest him," Cron said. "Now he can get this thing finally worked out."

Polanski, the director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby," reached a plea deal in 1978, but was threatened with more prison time than previously agreed upon and fled to France before he was formally sentenced.

France has no extradition treaty with the U.S., and while he traveled throughout Europe, he avoided arrest in part because of lax policies on apprehending foreign fugitives. But in recent years, many countries have gradually tightened their efforts to find suspects abroad and extradite them.

It's also not clear how hard authorities was searching for him. The Swiss Justice Ministry said in a statement that U.S. authorities have sought Polanski's arrest around the world since 2005, although he has been a fugitive much longer.

"There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," Swiss Justice Ministry spokesman Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. He rejected the idea that politics may have played a part in the action.

Previous attempts to nab Polanski when he left France were thwarted because authorities didn't learn of his travel soon enough — or Polanski didn't make the trip, said William Sorukas, chief of the U.S. Marshals Service's domestic investigations branch.

"This is not the first time we have done this over the years," said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office. She said warrants had been sent out whenever rumors circulated that he would be traveling to a country outside France.

In this case, the honor for Polanski's work proved to be his downfall, Gibbons said.

"It was publicized on the Internet that he was going to be at the Zurich Film Festival," Gibbons said. "They were selling tickets online."

Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said the director will remain in Zurich until the conclusion of the extradition proceedings. The United States now has 60 days to file a formal request for Polanski's transfer, she said.

A U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman in Washington declined to comment on the case Sunday.

Polanski's French lawyer, Georges Kiejman, told France-Inter radio that it was "too early to know" if Polanski would be extradited. "For now we are trying to have the arrest warrant lifted in Zurich," he said.

Polanski's long-running legal saga gained new momentum late last year with the release of an HBO documentary, "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired," which claimed misconduct by the now-deceased judge who handled 1977 case and reneged on a plea deal. With the new evidence presented in the film, Polanski sent a team of lawyers to court in Los Angeles seeking dismissal of the charges.

But despite acknowledging "substantial misconduct," a judge ruled that Polanski would have to appear in person to pursue his motion. Polanski's lawyers said he decided not to risk arrest on a fugitive warrant, and planned instead never to set foot in the United States.

His victim, Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement. But she has since joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over and at one point offering to come to court in Polanski's place to argue for dismissal.

Geimer's whereabouts could not be immediately determined on Sunday.

In Paris, Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand said that he was in contact with French President Nicolas Sarkozy "who is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved."

Mitterrand added that he was "dumbfounded" by Polanski's arrest, adding that he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them."

Those comments referred, in part, to the fact that Polanski, a native of France who was taken to Poland by his parents, escaped Krakow's Jewish ghetto as a child during World War II and lived off the charity of strangers. His mother died at the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp.

Polanski worked his way into filmmaking in Poland, gaining an Oscar nomination for best foreign-language film in 1964 for his "Knife in the Water." Offered entry to Hollywood, he directed the classic "Rosemary's Baby" in 1968.

His life was shattered again in 1969 when his wife, actress Sharon Tate, and four other people were gruesomely murdered in Los Angeles by followers of cult figure Charles Manson. Tate was eight months pregnant at the time.

Eight years later, the Polanski rape case was a sensation when it broke: He was arrested for having sex with the girl, whom he had hired as a model for a photo shoot at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away. He was accused of giving her part of a Quaalude pill and champagne, taking her into a hot tub and having sex with her.

Polanski was initially indicted on six felony counts and faced up to life in prison. Instead, he pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor and the other counts were dismissed.

The maximum sentence he could have faced was 50 years, although prosecutors had said at the time that the typical sentence was 16 months to three years in prison

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:45

oh, its a big thing here in ZURICH where i live.
it seems switzerland is getting famous for arresting people. last year we arrested gaddafis sun (hanibal) and now polanski.
even if it's a long time ago an the girl forgave him i still think that everybody should be treated equaly. law is law. sexcrime is not getting "better" if comitted by an artist...
dont know the details though...

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:02

You guys are seriously misunderstanding me (but that's the magic of writing on a computer instead of SEEING the person speak his mind)

First of all, this Polanski thing is just a BIG SHOW
The victim, the girl he had sex with/raped has said "let's get past this, let's move on" for years and years now so since it should really be her call why isn't her opinion important? ANSWER: Cause it's a SHOW, someone wants to look good at the DA office, elections are in 2010. It's the typical SUPERFICIAL "Law and Order" SHOW people fall for ALL THE TIME.

Is Polanski a threat? NO. Did he pay his dues to society? Somewhat, he did do time in Jail (Chino) and did pay an extraordinary amount in cash. He spent 31 years looking over his shoulder. He could hardly travel having to worry about extradition, He heard the night before his sentencing that the judge wasn't gonna stick to the deal that had been put together (Reality Break - TONS of criminal cases end up with deals being cut) so he freaked out and jumped on a flight back to Europe.

Human nature just always fascinates me. Health insurance companies in the US are killing thousands of people a year by denying them treatment or tests (even when they are members and pay into that company) but no one says a word about MURDER yet Polanski steps out of line sexually/morally 31 years ago and he should be burned at the stake. Wow, great set of priorities, maybe it's the mentally simplest offense that always has all the light shinning on it because it takes too much energy and time to think through more complicated situations these days. Murder vs Statutory rape - yeah, burn the little rapist at the stake , let the murderers go.......

BTW, the Swiss arrested him (with a request from the Los Angeles DA's office), ever give a thought to who's money they protect with their secret bank accounts? Bin Laden's Alqeda?, Drug Cartells?, Terrorist group money?, Mob money?.... oh, let's stop thinking and have another juicy hamburger.....

"STEAL A LITTLE AND THEY THROW YOU IN JAIL/STEAL A LOT AND THEY MAKE YOU KING" B. Dylan (Sweetheart Like You)

"Stray Cat Blues" our boys - I have no problem with it, it's only a SONG !!!

I just saw the Los Angeles DA rep say on LA News TV "Polanski always wanted this case played out on HIS TERMS but now it's on OUR TERMS" Oh my, how macho - you caught a 76 your old man walking off of an airplane, good work boys, sounds high risk.... (yet 62% or something like that murders go unsolved)....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 04:15 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:28

Children molesters get what they deserve...not matter what their self-proclaimed attorneys like HELTERSKELTER articulate in their defense, no matter how long it takes and no matter if they are celebs and even friends with Mick or whoever. AND RIGHTLY SO!

That the victim has got over it does not mean a thing. Justice also means that other children need to be protected from becoming victims too.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 28, 2009 04:50

Sorry alimente dude, I am VERY far from being on the side of Child Molesters.... but, and call me stupid, I feel Murder is a bit worse than child molestation, sounds silly but hey, that's me..... Wonder how many Congressman, Senators, Performers, and beloved Sports figures have been with girls (or boys) under 18?.... hmmm, just some food for thought..... I'm just saying let's take a look at the priorities......

Date: September 28, 2009 05:06

Sorry Dude but your sympathy was very clear in your original post...nothing to do with "the magic of writing on a computer".
In fact it was one of your most CLEAR posts ever...usually your posts are disjointed rants in some sort of California lingo.

re: HS - "Wonder how many Congressman, Senators, Performers, and beloved Sports figures have been with girls (or boys) under 18?"

What's your point?....they deserve the consequences too.

I don't care if he spent lots of $$ and had to look over his shoulder for 31 years

re: HS - "Health insurance companies in the US are killing thousands of people a year by denying them treatment or tests"

And.....???....I thought this post was about Polanski. Disjointed rants again.

Helter....seems like you've backed yourself into a corner. Had enough people embraced your sympathetic
view of a pedophile...you'd be all GUNG-HO!

What's next? Manson deserves respect for being an honorary BEACH BOY?

Date: September 28, 2009 05:08

some sort of California lingo.

As opposed to the oh so clear Wisconsin lingo....Oh yeah you betcha.

Date: September 28, 2009 05:13

sweetcharmedlife

That's Fargo ND. Funny movie too. winking smiley

Date: September 28, 2009 05:13

Date: September 28, 2009 05:19

sweet neo con
sweetcharmedlife

North Dakota,Wisconsin. It's all the same.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 28, 2009 05:23

sweetcharmedlife
sweet neo con
sweetcharmedlife

North Dakota,Wisconsin. It's all the same.eye rolling smiley

I know that's what you think. just curious...are you in Helter's camp
on this topic (Polanski)?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 28, 2009 05:35

Do all of you that think Polanski needs to be thrown in jail also think Wyman should join him there? And if not, why?

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: September 28, 2009 06:03

Sure ,Wyman should have been punished for what he had done but his and Roman's cases aren't comparable because Bill didn't force anyone into having sex.His crime is only slightly less heinous that Roman's.I think that out fondness for these artists and their work shouldn't prevent us from thinking rationally about these cases.What Polanski did is wrong on so many levels that it just can't be justified.He may not pose a threat to anyone and perhaps he sincerely regrets his crimes.However, such crimes must not go unpunished because that way the message being sent is that one can get away with sexual abuse of minors.

Health insurance in the states and hypocrisy of the governments around the world have nothing to do with this case and they can't be used as the means to justify such deeds as those.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 28, 2009 06:04

>Bill didn't force anyone into having sex.

How do you know this?

Date: September 28, 2009 06:08

Glam Descendant
Do all of you that think Polanski needs to be thrown in jail also think Wyman should join him there? And if not, why?

Mandy's mom too...for giving consent. Basically she acted as her pimp with the hopes of cashing in
on Mandy's music career. A music career which was to be springboarded by dating (& marrying) a
Rolling Stone.

No secret that I've never been a fan of Mr. Wyman.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: September 28, 2009 06:08

Glam Descendant
>Bill didn't force anyone into having sex.

How do you know this?

I'm not defending Bill I think that he should do time as well.You are right, I don't know it for a fact but based on what we know it seems that he didnt rape Mandy.Still just having a sexual intercourse with a child is so horrid and wrong that it really doesn't make much difference if Mandy willingly had sex with Bill or not.

Date: September 28, 2009 06:11

[www.news.com.au]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 06:15 by sweet neo con.

Date: September 28, 2009 06:20

I'm sure if Roman Polanski was a Catholic Priest and did the same thing....Helter and I would agree
that he should be locked up & the key thrown away (I hope). Not sure why Helter gives celebrities the
benefit of doubt. I don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 06:20 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 28, 2009 06:21

It's not as though he learned his lesson after he raped this girl, a few years later he started dating Natassja Kinki who was 15 - he was in his 40's. Not saying he raped her but it's not as though she was of legal age either.

He certainly likes them young, his wife is at least 30 years younger than he is.

I love Mick as a rock star, his younger looks, his wit, but is he a scum bag? Definitely. Bill - yup, Chuck - yup, Errol Flynn, Roman, his buddy Jack & Warrent - the list goes on - the good ol boys who use people and think they're kings. Famous people think they can get away with whatever they want, and we let them.

Did you ever seen Jack & Warren sitting front row at the Academy Awards, with their smug faces - thinking everyone worships the ground they walk on... they think it because that's the way they are treated. It's f*cking gross.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 28, 2009 06:39

Are you giving "reasons" why its ok to rape a 14 year old? His mom died in a nazi death camp. Sharon Tate 9we all know). Still can't pardon raping a 14 year old!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 28, 2009 07:32

HelterSkelter
Sorry alimente dude, I am VERY far from being on the side of Child Molesters.... but, and call me stupid, I feel Murder is a bit worse than child molestation, sounds silly but hey, that's me..... Wonder how many Congressman, Senators, Performers, and beloved Sports figures have been with girls (or boys) under 18?.... hmmm, just some food for thought..... I'm just saying let's take a look at the priorities......

This makes no sense. Leave the Polanskis of the world alone until we catch all the murderers and other famous names? Your "food for thought" is not edible.

All you're doing is creating strawman arguments. It makes no difference if the victim no longer wants to pursue this. She's got a couple of good reasons for feeling that way- One, Polanski paid her a nice, tidy sum of money. Two, she's not willing to re-live it again because Polanski's yet again in the news. Who would want to hav to re-tell how some creep got her drunk and high and then butt f'ed her? I don't blame her. Yet, butt f'ing a 13 year old????? And therein lies the issue. This has NOTHING to do with the D.A. being "macho"- how shameful to even say that. It has everything to do with what has been repeated many times by now. NO ONE, no matter who you are and how long you run, should get away with what he did. NO ONE.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:00

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:46

sweet neo con
Sorry Dude but your sympathy was very clear in your original post...nothing to do with "the magic of writing on a computer".
In fact it was one of your most CLEAR posts ever...usually your posts are disjointed rants in some sort of California lingo.

re: HS - "Wonder how many Congressman, Senators, Performers, and beloved Sports figures have been with girls (or boys) under 18?"

What's your point?....they deserve the consequences too.

I don't care if he spent lots of $$ and had to look over his shoulder for 31 years

re: HS - "Health insurance companies in the US are killing thousands of people a year by denying them treatment or tests"

And.....???....I thought this post was about Polanski. Disjointed rants again.

Helter....seems like you've backed yourself into a corner. Had enough people embraced your sympathetic
view of a pedophile...you'd be all GUNG-HO!

What's next? Manson deserves respect for being an honorary BEACH BOY?

Indeed. A discussion about Polanski goes from "I hate the U.S." to the Nazis to who's looking for Osama to 9/11 to a Zeppelin tune to a Dylan tune from Infidels
to health care. IT's like talking about this year's baseball playoff picture and then talking about Lyndon Johnson. I hate to repeat my earlier post, but Polanski did plead guilty to the charge and then he split for Europe. Some people just think artists are above the law (especially if they admire the artist in question). Remember, too, a fugative is still considered pretty romantic in certain circles. "Hey, I'm a fugative in the States, but I got an Oscar, Hollywood and the Village in NYC love me, the European film community loves me,
I stuck it to the man, I'm an artist, don't you understand? it was all about sex anyway..." blah blah blah.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home