Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Two Blues Questions (well, three actually)
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:24

The Blues Album; with Howlin´ Wolf
singin´ Little Red Rooster with Charlie & Bill / Clapton (St. Winwood) etc
- can anyone tell me some more on that one...
Heard the Rooster-version and its fookin smookin.

Second question is about what main inspiration sources Wyman & his
rhythm kings seem to have? Is it sheer dinosaur-/extincted music?

Third is aimed to stone tough good ol Rockman; can ya pull out your
thumb & write me an email & I get ya mine...
See, I´m planning a smokin surprise. And I mean real smokin
(no it aint no weeeed)... More like rnr...

Toronto-pic from rehearsal/Phoenix-days, I´m sorry I no longer have the name of the shooter...

And Maverick ya keep ya hole shut right!

Re: Two Blues Questions (well, three actually)
Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:30

Hi Baboon Bro! Guess you mean Howlin' Wolf London sessions!

Check this one out:

[www.amazon.de]

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: October 14, 2005 02:31

Yeah, yeah, Ove Tingvall told me...
More, tell me, please...
Do you have this album, G?

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:34

Have and old copy on vinyl on Rolling Stones records if I remember correctly. It's fantastic! Worth buying it on CD which I'll do these days. Thanks Baboon you reminded me of this real gem!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:36

It's a great album Bro! I have the orignal vinyl but it was reissued on CD with extra tracks about 3 years ago! It's well mixed and there are some great performances from the Wolf, Hubert Sumlin and Eric Clapton, not to mention the stellar rhythm section! Get thee to muisc store pronto and buy it now!

Date: October 14, 2005 02:41

"buy" = ?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 14, 2005 03:00

I agree, the 2 cd 'deluxe edition' is the way to go - it's Wolf & Sumlin, with the Stones & Clapton. This is SF-era Stones & Layla-era EC,(how cool is that?) & Wolf's last really great record ("Back Door Wolf" has its moments i.e. 'Coon On The Moon'), Winwood overdubbed his stuff on a few tracks later (& Ringo/Voorman are on one - tellingly, rather clunky - track)...Rooster is cool, but try shakin' a tail feather to 'Highway 49', 'Do the Do', 'Wang Dang Doodle' 'Who's Been Talking?' etc. Plus the deluxe version has informative notes. Even tho Charlie, Bill, & Stu are the basic Stones here, Jagger is also present (tho not singing) in the studio, & is in booklet photos & those in zines articles of the period...Wolf, 60 & frail, has been more feral on Memphis & Chicago sides, but this is one fine, fine collaboration.

Date: October 14, 2005 03:07

Stu too!! Well. Well; guess I have to get this one.
One way, or the other.

Many thanks, John & the others!!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 14, 2005 03:33

The London Howling Wolf Sessions record was a treat when it came out. It allowed the disciples to pay tribute to one of the kings of the blues. It was fun for the some of the blues minded young Brits at that time to play with one of their heroes, and it helped make the ailing Wolf some needed money. The lineup is massive with the Stones rythym section along with Stew stoking the engine. Clapton, Albert Lee? on guitars, Stevie Winwood sitting in. Wolf clearly seemed to enjoy these sessions and the tracks that were released are all standouts. This album is a must have for blues fans and especially for fans of the Stones. Charlie, Bill, and Stews contributions really stand out. I only have the old vinyl release which remains in good shape hence my reason not to get the cd. If you like that one check out the Chuck Berry London Session as well and the Muddy Waters London Sessions. Chuck Berry lays down a instrumental track on this album that is to die for and is worth the purchase price alone.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 14, 2005 04:20

Be sure to give Howlin' Wolf's heyday material a try after you get the Stones-related disc from late in his life. The "rocking chair" album is one of the all-time greats. And his pre-Chess stuff is wild!

cc

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 14, 2005 04:57

hey - like a lot of Stones fans - it was the first of what is now a collection of thousands of blues albums i bought.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2005 01:30

Bro just flippin' back thru posts I missed yesterday and spotted your request. I'm not hidden so just send e to me.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home