Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"It May Be the Last Time" by Otis Rush
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 7, 2005 20:51

Does anyone know if the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time" is um - let's say inspired -- by the Otis Rush song? They seem kind of similar, esp. lyrically: Otis' refrain is, "It may be the last time, oh I don't know."

I'm very new to the blues, in fact I just heard the Otis song for the first time today -- he rocks! I was startled at the resemblance to the Stones song though.

Re: "It May Be the Last Time" by Otis Rush
Date: October 7, 2005 21:34

Some say the song was inspired by "It may be the last time", but not by the Otis Rush version. They say it was inspired by the Staples Singers (including Pops Staples, Mavis Staples etc), an US American gospel group that recorded the song in 1955. There is some similarity but since the song is a traditional Jagger/Richards just turned the lyrics around (getting some girl involved) and thus produced their first no. 1 hit ever.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:00

Haven't heard that track by Otis Rush, but he is a fantastic blues performer. Actually I'm surprised the Stones never hooked up with him. I saw him live a few years ago, and he didn't seem like the friendliest guy -- which made for a great atmosphere -- maybe that's why.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:04

cc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't heard that track by Otis Rush, but he is a
> fantastic blues performer. Actually I'm surprised
> the Stones never hooked up with him. I saw him
> live a few years ago, and he didn't seem like the
> friendliest guy -- which made for a great
> atmosphere -- maybe that's why.

I used to live in Otis' neighborhood in Chicago. I'd see him play about once a month. And on other nights in the same place he played, you could see him playing pool. He's totally cool, asked my once if I wanted to play. And he's not unfriendly, he's a bit shy is all. He's just not gregarious.

If you get a chance to see him, by all means do.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:11

Otis Rush's "cobra" label recordings are extremely awesome

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:22

Wow... that's so cool about Otis Rush! camper, what's your instrument?

I just came from a long weekend in Chicago. What clubs would he play? I was bummed to find out that the Checkerboard recently closed, but I enjoyed B.L.U.E.S., though I didn't make it to any south side places.

I liked how serious he was when I saw him at Chicago Blues in new york (since closed). Compared to how some guys seem to fall over themselves to please the crowd... and his playing/singing were superb. I have I think 3 of his records, plus a couple of older tracks on compilations.

cc

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:37

I was searching the 'net for info on where Otis Rush might be playing, and got some bad news. A web page called "We Love Otis Rush" has an update on "Otis' condition" but it does not say what went wrong -- sounds like maybe a stroke? Here's the text:

As you can see from a picture of Otis taken with Carlos Johnson at a birthday dinner for Mrs. Masaki (July 17, 2005), Otis looks well with a big smile on his face. It looks like he lost some weight, but according to Masaki, he was a bit overweight before and his current weight is the best ever. He has overcome diabetes, and his condition has been improving. His rehabilitation has been going well, and he can almost talk without a problem. Good news is that he is holding a guitar in his hands again. He played "All Your Love" for Masaki on mother's day. He is advancing steadily towards his coming back.

August 8, 2005

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 8, 2005 03:56

cc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow... that's so cool about Otis Rush! camper,
> what's your instrument?

I play guitar (acoustic and '62 tele), left-handed, just like Otis . . . another reason he's one of my heroes, in addition to his playing and singing.
>
> I just came from a long weekend in Chicago. What
> clubs would he play?

The club I saw him at is now closed.

I was bummed to find out that
> the Checkerboard recently closed, but I enjoyed
> B.L.U.E.S., though I didn't make it to any south
> side places.

>
> I liked how serious he was when I saw him at
> Chicago Blues in new york (since closed). Compared
> to how some guys seem to fall over themselves to
> please the crowd... and his playing/singing were
> superb. I have I think 3 of his records, plus a
> couple of older tracks on compilations.
>
> cc

Yeah, he's all about the music, not really a showman. But a great voice and a great player. Good enough for SRV to name his band after one of his tunes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home