Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

To The So-called Audiophiles
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 1, 2005 06:21

Unless you have actually played in a band, and actually listened to the sounds of a bass drum or ride cymbal, how can you tell what its supposed to sound like?

This is what makes me either smile or cringe when I read about you guys debating over the subleties of recorded sound reproduction. It's a form of geekness, and I guess you get into it, but my simple rule of thumb for a quality record, dependent on the studio gimmickry, is simply this -- does it sound real, and alive? Given this general rule, the distorted cassette sound of the 1968 "Stret Fighting Man" is as real as the processed/compressed version of "She Saw Me Coming" from ABB. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Re: To The So-called Audiophiles
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 1, 2005 07:35

all i can say is....its all just "sound".....comes from different intruments recorded in different rooms by different machines run by different people

Date: October 1, 2005 07:39

Robert Johnson anyone?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 1, 2005 07:42

robert johnson has the greatest sounding recorded music ever...pure & simple genius

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-01 07:42 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 1, 2005 08:43

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> robert johnson has the greatest sounding recorded
> music ever...pure & simple genius
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/01/05 07:42 by
> Leonard Keringer.

So why all this fuss over lossless and remixed "audience recordings" of the 2005 tour? It somehow seems ludicrous.

"A trained ear?" That's my favorite bit of elitist bullsh*t. This ISN'T
a performance of a Mozart piece-- it's a f*ckin rock n roll show.

Get over yourselves, you pompous asses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-01 08:46 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 1, 2005 08:56

It gets to the point where its rediculous but I would be one of those "so-called audiophiles". Example, I dont think my recording of Columbus sounds perfect, but it does sound pretty good and I'd hate to hear it mashed into an mp3 file for convenience. Same for any recording really.

I guess it boils down to whether you can notice a difference in quality. Vinyl vs. cd. SACD vs cd. Some people get into it. I for one love vinyl and I love hearing the complete soundwave whereas most people would rather hear it on cd just avoid hearing crackles and pops, despite the fact that you loose certain points in the soundwave via digital cd.

Dunno if its worth debating really. Its all about preference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home