Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The 60's: A forgotten era?
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: September 29, 2005 03:47

With all this talk about Sway, the 70's, Exile, Mick Taylor, and Ronnie Wood on most Stones boards, I can't help but feel that the 60's Stones have been totally neglected. Not only has this period been neglected by many Stones fans, but by the band itself. I went to the show at Soldier Field, Chicago (which, despite the 'Hot Rocks' setlist, was outstanding), and counted only two pre-'68 songs: Satisfaction and Ruby Tuesday. Only two pre-'68 hits? I have surfed through various Stones boards now for three years, and what astonishes me more than anything is how little the 60's era is mentioned. By reading all the posts, one would think that the only guitarists to ever play for the Stones were MT, Woody, and Keith. What about Brian Jones? Why do stellar albums like Aftermath and NOW! get overlooked in favor of those like GHS and Some Girls? I don't know, is it completely strange to believe that the most glorious period for the Stones were the 60's? Not only did the Stones produce such great music during that time, but they successfully established their own identity as the bad boys of rock rivalling the Beatles. What a great time that was! It just seems like now that is such a glossed-over era and its a real shame . . .

Re: The 60's: A forgotten era?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 29, 2005 03:52

nice refresher course neptune!!...no arguments...the 60s stones were awe inspiring in their own right.....tons of great songs...and brian jones...just listening to his slide guitar break on "i wanna be your man" gives me chills..not to mention his contributions with different instrumentation (a vital ingredient to many of their songs)...and that youthful jagger "snarl"...paint it black, get off of my cloud, under my thumb, sympathy and on and on....a "different" stones...but still amazing stuff...nice post...best wishes

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 04:37 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 29, 2005 04:26

I have to agree, it's a strange and perhaps sad thing. Personally, I view Aftermath as a seminal work. It's exclusion from conversation and tour play baffles me a bit. I'd love to hear 505 live in '05 . . . or '06.

Date: September 29, 2005 05:51

Yes, there has been a lot of talk about 'gems' from the Big Four and beyond, but there are so many from '63 to '67. There are a good number from Aftermath alone, such as Think, 505, I Am Waiting, etc. Not to mention their blues and rock numbers from the very early days. 12x5 is an album I never get tired of listening to. Confessin the Blues, Congratulations . . . what great guitar work from the ORIGINAL guitar weaving team of Keith and Brian . . .

Date: September 29, 2005 06:01

They wouldn't have built the foundation for their reputation with their shitty post '73 work, that's for sure.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 29, 2005 06:22

Love 60's Stones and can't understand their reluctance to dig into that decade.

Date: September 29, 2005 06:37

Great point. I just put "Between the Buttons" on - such a great album. The Stones were trying a lot of things out on this album.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 29, 2005 10:24

No other album sums up the turmoil and chaos of the '60's like 'Beggars Banquet', in my opinion. I still think it stands as the album with the Stones' best lyrics.

Re: The 60s
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2005 11:08

i'm always surprised when people say they don't know/aren't into the pre-68 stuff.
those first albums especially - listen to how unearthly GOOD those cats are at such an absurdly early age, just listen to that ROLL!

... and it's so extraordinary, when you think about it: that handful of skinny English cats had every opportunity to turn into totally shallow flash-in-the-pan pop stars: all that head-turning money and idolatry at such a young age, in a business that no one expected to be anything but silly, superficial and transient. and instead of succumbing to that, the Rolling Stones changed all the parameters forever - by playing the music they love, the way it's meant to be played: with feeling, baby, with sssoul
and to keep on and on like that, without losing heart, despite so much unbelievable oh-lordy -
the Rolling Stones ain't fakin - and that has made all the difference.

- 1967, by David Bailey (courtesy of BrownEyedGirll)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 11:32 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:42

If you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there! (I forget who said that, but I always loved that quote).

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:45

I love the 60's music, but I can't say it's forgotten.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:51

they played a lot of the early stuff on the last tour and i think the boys want to sell some of their newer works...no cash for klein with the early recordings as well..
i would kill to hear, empty heart, road runner, little by little, off the hook, i'm alright, last time and have you seen your mother?

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:01

Skip Night Time Is The Right Time, Mr. Pitifull and GUSU... i want to hear Out Of Time, Mercy Mercy and Heart Of Stone.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:11

I have brought this up many times in the past and really wish they would do more songs from their early days. Glad to see they did Get Off My Cloud last night. I have been waiting forever to hear Mother's Little Helper. I don't think Mick would have a problem saying "What a drag it is getting old" if he singing about a new color dye for your hair. He also makes other references to age in songs.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:38

hot stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they played a lot of the early stuff on the last
> tour and i think the boys want to sell some of
> their newer works...no cash for klein with the
> early recordings as well..

I think this really might be the reason. I mean, I just downloaded a 1970 show and was reminded that they did not 1, not 2, but 3 chuck berry covers in a 13-song set. Nothing from before "JJF," not even "Satisfaction."

In 1969 they played "Satisfaction," "Under my Thumb," and "I'm Free." The latter is just a bad choice. But the other 2 sounded great, as they always do. But even then the set was light on earlier material.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:53

you are so right thats the reason i become fan way back then

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:57

Many great gems from that era - among them "Out Of Time", "Heart Of Stone", "Stupid Girl", etc.. Too many to name, you know 'em!!

Problem is only 3 or 4 fans still alive from then!!! LOL

Date: September 30, 2005 06:19

What a surprise, they played GOOMC and Paint It, Black last night! That's more like it. But I still think their 60's work is way underrepresented, considering how awesome it was. The Stones, for some strange reason, don't dwell much on the 60's. Are there a lot of bad memories (Brian's death, Allen Klein, etc.)? I don't know, it just seems strange. Anyway, I just think the 60's were their greatest years because they did everything: Chicago blues, garage/punk rock, pop, psychedelia, country, soul, Indian raga, Elizabethan, synth-rave, folk, and even jazz. They did it all, and with such professionalism and ELAN. In comparison, the post-Beggar's Banquet Stones were a little too one-dimensional for my tastes. Long live the pre-'68 Stones!

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 30, 2005 06:29

Can't argue with that... I've been revisiting those pre-Beggars albums and I am appreciating them like never before (maybe the better sound on the reissues helps!) I think they are probably neglected by a lot of people because of the sound quality of the material, especially in bygone years before better remastering technology.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 30, 2005 06:31

neptune Wrote:
> What a surprise, they played GOOMC and Paint It,
> Black last night! That's more like it. But I
> still think their 60's work is way
> underrepresented,

1 GOOMC,
2 PIB,
3 HTW,
4 JJF,
5 SFTD,
6 Satisfaction,
7 The Night Time is the Right Time . . .

Seven songs from the 60's in the most recent concert in 2005. Hmmmm, doesn't sound like they under-represented that decade to me. That's a third of the show. What would be a fair representation of just one of five decades in which they've produced music? 8-9-10 songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-30 07:08 by camper88.

Date: September 30, 2005 14:45

What I was really referring to is their pre-1968 material. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Satisfaction, JJF, HTW, and SFTD are the 'Hot Rocks' warhorses they play almost every night. I didn't count those songs . . .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:26

I agree with you neptune.

The Stones had 5 back to back number one's in the UK singles chart in the mid-sixtes. It's All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Saitfaction and Get Off Of My Cload all hit the top spot. These should be in the setlist EVERY night. There is no excuses, they should MAKE ROOM for them.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:17

camper. to count Nighttime as a Stones 60's point is crazy. I think the point here is they don't play much from the Brian Jones years, which were mainly 62-67 since by 68 he barely contributed. And that one night you mentioned they played Get Off My Cloud which could be considered rare. Even Paint It Black is not a song they do every night. So basically from that time period it would be safe to say that Satisfaction is the only guarentee when it comes to them playing songs from that era.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 30, 2005 17:23

i would be very happy if they only played 5 or 6 from thier new album and sway,
and the rest before 1968...
open with;
1. i'm alright
2.empty heart
3.its all over now
4. time is on my side
5. paint it black
6. stupid girl
7.have you seen your mother,
8 to 14 new stuff
15 ruby tuesday
16 miss amanda jones/ or sway
17. t &a
18. j.j.f
19. let spend the night together
20 iorr
21 end the show with, last time.....
anyway they have soooo many great unplayed tracks....i think we all love to hear more...please more brian jones era songs for the set list!!!!!!!!

Date: September 30, 2005 18:24

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> > Satisfaction is the only
> guarentee when it comes to them playing songs from
> that era.

Yes and that's the problem. Are we seriously to be believe that such songs as Tumbling Dice and It's Only Rock 'n Roll were as big a hits as The Last Time, Get Off Of My Cloud and so on? They weren’t!

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 30, 2005 18:27

I actually think the 60´s stones is the best!! from 66-69 they ruled!!

Date: September 30, 2005 18:29

Jimmie Wrote:
> I actually think the 60´s stones is the best!!
> from 66-69 they ruled!!

From 63-69 they ruled!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home