Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

#3 opening is outstanding
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 15, 2005 16:42

For a 43 year old Rock Band...in a music world where "rock" is no longer king...that is a great accomplishment!!! We fans and the Stones themselves should be very proud.

Re: #3 opening is outstanding
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 15, 2005 16:53

No it's not. They're the greatest artist ever. Even a #1 is too low!

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 15, 2005 16:56

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No it's not. They're the greatest artist ever.
> Even a #1 is too low!

I agree...but it is not reality. We now live in a world where the "Rock" of the 60's, 70's and 80's is all but dead. Hip Hop is king now...as much as we might hate it.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:34

No for the US . It is not outstanding but Disappointing for such a tremendous album as a whole and if we take into consideration that US are their homeland in terms of audience.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:32

sladog Wrote:
> Reptile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No it's not. They're the greatest artist
> ever.
> > Even a #1 is too low!
>
> I agree...but it is not reality. We now live in a
> world where the "Rock" of the 60's, 70's and 80's
> is all but dead. Hip Hop is king now...as much as
> we might hate it.
>
>
>
>

Yes, unfortunately you're right. It is amazing that they can hit #3 after 43 years. But let's face it, 95% of the kids think they're shit. It's just allot of old guys and a few strange kids(like myself) that buy it.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:34

In accordance to RS - here are the charts:

Austria #1
Canada #1
Denmark #1
Germany #1
Italy #1
Holland #1
Sweden #1
Switzerland #1
Iceland #2
Mexico #2
Norway #2
Spain #2
UK #2
France #3
USA #3
Australia #4
Japan #5 (#3 on International charts)
Portugal #5
Belgium #9
New Zealand #9
Ireland #18
Argentina #1
Hong Kong #5

9 # 1, 5 # 2, 2 #3

That's very good - I am surprised with a number 1 in Denmark.... but that's a good surprise....

Let's enjoy it and not being to upset about RS not being number 1 all over the world....

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 15, 2005 20:46

It´s great and in Portugal it will rise for sure!!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 15, 2005 21:11

According to early sales projections the album will drop like a stone next week in US, something like 3-15.

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:38

country honk Wrote:
> In accordance to RS - here are the charts:
>
> Austria #1
> Canada #1
> Denmark #1
> Germany #1
> Italy #1
> Holland #1
> Sweden #1
> Switzerland #1
> Iceland #2
> Mexico #2
> Norway #2
> Spain #2
> UK #2
> France #3
> USA #3
> Australia #4
> Japan #5 (#3 on International charts)
> Portugal #5
> Belgium #9
> New Zealand #9
> Ireland #18
> Argentina #1
> Hong Kong #5
>
> 9 # 1, 5 # 2, 2 #3
>
> That's very good - I am surprised with a number 1
> in Denmark.... but that's a good surprise....
>
> Let's enjoy it and not being to upset about RS not
> being number 1 all over the world....

This is really amazing in my opinion. It has reached #1 in countries in three different continents. They are still #1 in the whole world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-15 23:41 by Dobril.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:43

Dropping like a stone to # 15 is NOT good - hoping the Giants (Stadium) & 3rd NYC show would keep it in the top 10.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 15, 2005 23:59

I don't think that The Stones have ever been #1 in the world in the way that say Elvis, or, The Beatles were, (god, am I actually saying this!) , even though they have alway's been MY 'personal' favorites. So, all things considerd, (career longevity, current music maket etc,..) I think that what they have accomplished at this point in history is truely amazing, and, deserves MUCHO respect.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 16, 2005 00:20

georgelicks Wrote:
> According to early sales projections the album
> will drop like a stone next week in US, something
> like 3-15.

What sales projections???

I think that Stones`s CD`s buyers are no young kids that rush in the first hour to the shops (Well I did, and bought at 00:00AM the first ABB copy in Portugal...) so people will buy it in the near future...

Stay cool.

Date: September 16, 2005 02:19

>>What sales projections???

Early US sales of this week, Tuesday and yesterday. The album is not selling good this second week.

>>Dropping like a stone to # 15 is NOT good

Bridges with WAY more airplay falled 3-11 on the second week.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 16, 2005 03:25

georgelicks, will be ABB platinum in the USA?

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: September 16, 2005 03:27

How many has it sold so far this week? I can't get the Hits Daily Double chart to update for some reason from it's "final tally" from last week. What am I doing wrong, Sr. Licks?
Remember last week, though....it was up and down...let's hope for the best!
If 'Jump Back,' etc., have slowly built sales, so can 'A Bigger Bang.'

Date: September 16, 2005 03:32

"But let's face it, 95% of the kids think they're shit. It's just allot of old guys and a few strange kids (like myself) that buy it."

Old guys rarely buy CD. In the Europe the Stones have a notable number of young fans (i mean at age 19 - 30). You can see that at the stadium concerts of the band.

Date: September 16, 2005 03:38

Clearing up: of course a lot of old fans are buying ABB. My point is that without many young buyers, an album cannot sell so well, as ABB do in Europe.

Date: September 16, 2005 04:40

>>georgelicks, will be ABB platinum in the USA?

I don't know, but Bridges To Babylon got a Platinum certification on its week 5 with only 400k sold. The RIAA certifications are for shipments, not sales. Live Licks is GOLD according to RIAA but the album didn't sell 100k yet.

>>How many has it sold so far this week? I can't get the Hits Daily Double chart to update for some reason from it's "final tally" from last week

Hits updates are on Monday/Tuesday, the numbers of this week will on Hits next Monday/Tuesday.

>>If 'Jump Back,' etc., have slowly built sales, so can 'A Bigger Bang.'

Jump Back is a steady seller because it's a greatest hits album. ABB needs a hit single on the Hot 100 or it will fall down from the Top 200 sooner than you think. I've seen BIG #1 albums with radio airplay problems out of the Billboard 200 in 10-15 weeks, Maddona's last album got a Top 40 hit on the Hot 100 but the album falled of the Billboard 200 in 14 weeks. I don't know how many Stones diehard fans didn't buy the album yet, but with a 3-15 possible fall next week, not many. Sadly, the current market is only interested on the rap and modern rock. Don't be surprised if the Stones album is out of the Billboard 200 in 10 weeks.

Date: September 16, 2005 04:48

stickydion Wrote:
> Old guys rarely buy CD. In the Europe the Stones
> have a notable number of young fans (i mean at age
> 19 - 30). You can see that at the stadium concerts
> of the band.

Just see Argentina: the 70% of the Stones fans here are young people (12-30 age) and the 90% of the rock bands here are carbon copies of the Stones. ABB sold 20,000 copies here the first week, a record. You can bet that they sold the double of that if we count illegal copies.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 16, 2005 04:52

wrong...criticize it if you like, but if the NFL continues to feature the Stones and Rough Justice, NASCAR features Driving Too Fast...ABB will keep going and perhaps even gain strength after a brief lull.

Date: September 16, 2005 05:18

"The RIAA certifications are for shipments, not sales".

Georgelicks, that surprise me! So, can we say that the whole thing about "platinoum" is a bit ...delusion??

PS, Georgelicks, please, inform me of the whole sales of their last albums (i mean in the USA): Oasis, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Madonna, M. Jackson. Grateful...

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: September 16, 2005 05:34

<<but if the NFL continues to feature the Stones and Rough Justice, NASCAR features Driving Too Fast...ABB will keep going and perhaps even gain strength after a brief lull.>>

Sadly that is what it takes to move a Stones album today. Back in the 1980s, the Stones turned down offer after offer to play the Super Bowl. In their minds, and to some degree they were correct, they were too big to play such an event. Now they need all the help they can get to move records, particularly as this album has no strong single...not even an attempt at a single!!

And your opinion is also a bit off-base considering what happened with the NBA tie-ins with 40 Licks. No one seemed to care.

I think they learned their lesson this go around and realized the music won't sell itself, so the NFL commercials, Ameriquest commercials, and AOL banner ads are dazzled with imagery and dozen of tongues. In the minds of the record-buying public, the band is hardly relevant or cool, but at least their logo is still seen in that way.

ABB will fall out of the top 40 faster than Bridges and will never be heard from again. Bridges at least had a chance, but the band opted to not release Saint of Me as its first single, a rather poor calculation.

But this go around there is simply nothing commercial or of great consequence; Rough Justice is a good Stones song, but is most certainly a B-quality piece of material. It's more corny that cool.

I hope the band learns their lesson and gets back to writing rock & roll. But it probably doesnt really matter; the damage has been done and it is doubtful if they will ever be able to cross over into the younger market as they did with Voodoo Lounge.

The motivation for this album was clearly not about the music; as Jagger has said repeatedly in interview, it was about legitimacy. If there was no album behind the tour, they were just another oldies act. Is this the attitude or frame of mind that brought us Some Girls or Beggars Banquet? I would presume not. The conviction is gone and it shows dearly.

ABB is just Emotional Rescue, ala 2005 and minus a single. Nice cover, lots of fill, marginal effort, and lots of spin to move the units. The only other difference is the level of muscianship. On ABB the Stones play at their best since Some Girls, but it is a matter of necessity; they tried to extend themselves to conceal marginal material.

The sad thing is there are some great sounds on ABB; they just dont amount to great songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-16 05:38 by JamesBurton.

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 16, 2005 05:48

I wanna know what the @#$%& the people in Ireland are listening to!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:06

Georgelicks you point out "Bridges to Babylon" (first 3 weeks US # 3 - 11 - 15, total weeks 27 on top 200 chart) got an RIAA platinum after 5 weeks & 400,000 copies sold, but it eventually sell 1.2 or 1.3 million copies, pretty good, & at that less than either VL or 40L.That album had more airplay overall but no real top 100 hit ('Saint Of Me' peaked at # 94 in Feb. '98). I think the tour & the attendent publicity will despite major airplay problems keep ABB afloat a bit longer than 10 weeks. Also would help if like Dylan's Time Out of Mind it gains any sort of crital cachet. I could be wrong (the No Security tour didn't put NS back on the charts), but I hope.

Date: September 16, 2005 07:23

Of course, the album will remain there during months but without important airplay I don't expect positions on the Top 100 during more than 10 weeks. B2B dropped of the Top 100 after 14 weeks with 3 singles in the rock chart and a tour behind.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:30

JAMESBURTON, that is the smartest post I've read in along time. You nailed it. That is the sad truth that sums up the Rolling Stones in 2005. I love them more than any band in history, but that's where they are at.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:44

JamesBurton, (I wonder if the REAL JamesButon was a Stones fan?) the whole musical landscape has changed since the release of BTB, (8 years!). That's the problem ABB is having, not that it's sub-standard material as you suggest. There are plenty of tunes on it worthy of being singles, (why is SOL doing so well in Europe?) BUT, there's no place for them to receive airplay.

Rock 'n' roll as a viable art form with a market place is on life support,.. The Stones as a musical force are doing just fine. Put that convertible top down AND turn it up!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home