Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABB sales very well in the "rest of the world"....
Posted by: salar ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:37

Hi folks,
instead of being "shocked" that A BIGGER BANG is "just" Nr.3 in the US
and "only" Nr.2 in England.....which are cool results, by the way,
the album seems to sell pretty well in the rest of the world....just have a look at the european countrys, in which the album is mostly ranked btween 1-3.
Just watch the german speaking area.
In all three countrys, GERMANY, AUSTRIA and SWITZERLAND ABB is at Nr.1.
So is Italy and the Netherlands.
Just those above mentioned 5 markets have a total population of about 150 million people.
I am sure that, until the tour comes to europe next summer, the album sales will still raise.
So, all in all....do not panic, folks.
This band is still a major act in all kind of ways.
Whether it`s about live gigs and /or album charts.

To me personaly it is not that important if the new album is nr.1 or not.
but as a hardore Stones fan I love to see, that the Stones can still satisfy
a large crowd worldwide.
And it is nice to see that , if you say that you are a Stones fan, people do not ask you any more, that they haven`t made something NEW for about 10 years.
If I talk to Non-Stones fans NOW, they all react like:
" Oh yes, they just made a new album right now....which sounds pretty cool, doesn`t it ."
All that media hype since the pc on May 10th made me realize that the Rolling Stones in 2005 are totaly up to date, man.

As I said above...it is not THAT important to me...but it feels damned good, man
Well done, Glimmer Twins.

CuonABB-tour
salar

Re: ABB sales very well in the "rest of the world"....
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:48

YOU4RE RIGHT // USA ARE NOT THE CENTER OF THE WORLD .

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:00

Yes...the USA is the center of the world...or at least we think we are! smiling smiley

I'm not sure what people are so concerned about as far as their sales and charting is concerned. It's not as if the Stones will stop recording and touring if they don't chart well.I don't think that 80% of the buying population considers the Stones as "popular" artists. They aren;t seen as the force that they were in the 60s and early 70s.

I sometimes think people want them to chart well simply to justify their own love of the Stones.

I don't care how they chart as long as they put out good music.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:08

Yanks don't know there arse from their elbow.... 50 cents for christ sake! And I won't even mention voting Dubya back in......
They don't even get cricket! Whats THAT all about.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:13

Cafaro Wrote:
>
> I sometimes think people want them to chart well
> simply to justify their own love of the Stones.

Not as such. More as an excuse to give two fingers to everyone else. I LIKE to see the Stones being successful.
>
> I don't care how they chart as long as they put
> out good music.

its possible to achieve both, in fairness. The latter is obviously more important, however - just as playing good shows is more important than selling more tickets and making more money than everyone else.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:22

The first sales of ABB are simply well in the USA and very, very well in "the rest of the world"...That means ADMIRABLE STABILITY, after decades. The Stones had never been "monsters" as album sellers. They were and they still are the best selling and most popular live act in the world (no doubt that we will see it once again, looking at the numbers of ABB tour and U2's tour when both will have finished). But ONLY as live act...

Even in the so "difficult" album market of the USA (hip-hop, country, etc), the Stones have the stability which not only other "veterans" like Dylan or Clapton, but also a lot of younger "huge" rock acts can't imagine anymore. How many copies had TOTALY sold the album of Oasis in 2002? If i remember correcltly, about 120,000 or 130,000, like ABB's first week!

Salar says "To me personaly it is not that important if the new album is nr.1 or notbut as a hardore Stones fan I love to see, that the Stones can still satisfy
a large crowd worldwide."
Agree, i have the same feelings, but don't overrate the factor "peak position". I say it once again, the most important element is the whole sales. In other weeks ABB could be #1 selling only 100,000 copies or 80,000 copies. So what? On Billboard you can see the albums of Foo Fighters and Killers. The first one is platinum geting # 2. The second one is 2platinum with peak position #7...

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:31

If #3 in 2005 is an "unsuccessful" (!) position, that means the Stones in USA were a successful act ONLY in the years 1971- 1981 (consecutive #1). Not before 1971, not since 1981. If anyone believes that, OK, he can nagging for the "bad" (!) #3...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:33

cricket-isn't that a bug!

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:35

I'm wondering if ABB is making for the moment (I mean 8 days after its release) better sales than BTB ..

Date: September 15, 2005 18:39

"cricket-isn't that a bug! ".... cheeky sod! At least cricket players where protective gear for a reason unlike some mamby-pamby football game I can mention.....

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:57

ablett......didn;t you get enough sleep last night? Why so nasty? Did a cricket have a pee in your cereal this morning?

What's wrong with 50 Cent? He's pretty good.

Gazza: I agree with both responses.

I love the fact that the Stones are back and happy to see them play and hear new music. Other than your point about beiong able to flip off others, I don't see much reason to worry how they chart.

Date: September 15, 2005 19:04

Nasty? Stop being so delicate......

Posted by: terry ()
Date: September 15, 2005 19:55

i cant get me head around american football...but thats another subject...seems to be some panic over a biggerbang sales...i think its doing very well, and when all said and done the sales figures will be healthy...you cant keep a good album down...the stones in 2005 are doing very well...so anyone for a game of cricket...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 15, 2005 20:03

They're #1 on the Internet Sales chart.

[www.billboard.com]

I expected a third position for ABB. What I find rather strange is that 40 Licks isn't in the pop catalogue top 20. When a band tours, the album that will sell is the compilation of the career.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 15, 2005 20:13

Forty Licks is #25 on the Catalog chart and #197 on the Comprehensive chart (current albums+catalog titles)

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 15, 2005 20:28

The only thing worse than my fellow Americans voting Shrub (that's Bush jr. for some of you) in once let alone twice, is that pansy Blair being his little puppet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home