Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:11

Like why on why oh why, is such a mediocre Stones "rocker" as "You Got Me Rocking" in a setlist for two tours in a row (Licks and On Stage, who knows maybe others as well)?????

I mean they have many superior "rockers" that they could replace it with, very, very, very perplexing!!!!!!!

Anyone agree?

Sorry for the double-post balls up.....

SD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-11 13:19 by SonicDreamer.

Re: You Got Me Rocking
Date: September 11, 2005 13:14

Like why on why oh why, is such a mediocre Stones "rocker" as "You Got Me Rocking" in a setlist for two tours in a row (Licks and On Stage, who knows maybe others as well)?????

I mean they have many superior "rockers" that they could replace it with, very, very, very perplexing!!!!!!!

Anyone agree?

SD

Re: You Got me Rockin
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:15

Because they like it.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:24

You got me rocking grew on me a lot, I think it's a great live song. A show needs moments like this. The way they play it live, with first the guitar riff and then the drums kicking in, works like hell. This riff is a killer, can't think of so many better ones. Actually you could very well make the song a show opener IMO.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:36

SonicDreamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like why on why oh why, is such a mediocre Stones
> "rocker" as "You Got Me Rocking" in a setlist for
> two tours in a row (Licks and On Stage, who knows
> maybe others as well)?????

Every tour since 94.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: September 11, 2005 14:19

I like it, they managed to make this one a classic and not without a reason. Look at twickenham, it works. Why do you call it a "rocker" in quotation marks is beyond me. It's one of the coolest concerts-friendly numbers they did in the new era, catchy chorus, cool lyrics, not too long, perfect somewhere at the beginning of the show to warm the crowd up.
But still, if they decided to replace it with something from the excellent new album they probably can't do wrong...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 11, 2005 15:34

This song rock big time. I LOVE IT.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: September 11, 2005 16:33

I agree wiyh you Sonic. This song is crap nut it seems the Stones like of it. Even Sparks Will Fly or Sad Sad Sad are better.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: September 11, 2005 16:40

It's simple in my opinion. YGMR has that more "recent" (and broader) commercial appeal that the Stones can integrate into the set that will give quicker recognizability for its audience.

I'm not sure another "superior" rocker would achieve the same thing if its not as well known as say JJF, HTW, BS, etc?

I looked for reaction from some folks after Midnight Rambler (my fav) from a prior tour and much of the impression was "yeah this is cool, and its seems to rock, but it's not the mainstream Stones I was expecting"

Date: September 11, 2005 17:05

Crossfire what you said is depressingly true, sigh......

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 11, 2005 17:24

This song and its ongoing spot in the setlist (damn near every show since "Voodoo Lounge" was released) might illustrate a point for the "oh, well they can't please everyone" setlist apologists...

I happen to think it's a forgettable tune that deserves a big rest, if not outright retirement. But you know what? The Stones see it as a (relatively) recent success that has really connected with audiences. My guess is that this is one small piece of validation for their ongoing recording career.

That's why "Out of Control" (a true classic in my mind) is such a welcome addition to the list--it's the Stones really believing in and making an argument for their recent work. Not just plugging new songs in and then diposing of them, as described in the NY Times "A Bigger Bang" review.

What all that means is that for this "nagger," "whiner," and "complainer," anyway--the Stones don't have to necessarily give me what I want (cause it sure ain't "You Got Me Rockin'") but I respect and enjoy them when they stand up for their own material and their continuing vitality.

Picks for the Day: "Back of My Hand," "Little Baby," "Goin' To A Go-Go," and, of course, "Prodigal Son"

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 11, 2005 17:34

Before I started reading IORR I always thought that YGMR was a cool song and works great in concert...

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: September 11, 2005 18:48

I love YGMR.

Especially since the BtB tour where Charlies drum intro was skipped and Keith does the honours. On the VL tour it's not one of my fav's, but after that it is.

I only hope they will give She Saw Me Coming the same treatment, even if they force it down our throat.

(They put YGMR on VL, out as a single, on "No Security" as opener, in almost every show since 1994, on Forty Licks and twice on Four Flicks. You can't have missed it. It's one of the newer songs that everybody will know. It's the Stones' experiment of creating a warhorse. I don't mind, it's a great tune.)

Date: September 11, 2005 18:52

For all you YGMR haters out there, one thing is very clear: you weren't at Milwaukee or Chicago...

When this song is played well it SMOKES and somehow you probably know that, but won't admit it because it's become so "fashionable" to knock this song...

It's just real simple... the crowd IS ROCKING so just hit them with a song that says "You Got Me Rocking"... so elegantly simple, that's why it works when it's played at the right time in a set.

I remember even back on the Voodoo Lounge tour this song worked great... plus it's great for a stadium, the whole place bounces with it.

Question for all the YGMR haters: when the song comes on, what do you do? Cross your arms and frown or sit in your seats or go buy a beer ? Is YGMR your bathroom break song ? From the way you knock it so relentless you'd think it is!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 11, 2005 18:59

it's fashionable? since when? I've hated this song for 11 years and running now and have been very vocal about it for that entire period.

What do I do? - I can tell you what I don't do and that's applaud.

There's nothing - absolutely NOTHING redeeming about this song. Cheesey riff - even cheesier chorus and lame, throwaway, rote solos.

It plays to the lowest common denominator of drunken, out of touch rock fans...and that's cause enough to loathe it.

Date: September 11, 2005 19:02

StonesTod Wrote:
> it's fashionable? since when? I've hated this
> song for 11 years and running now and have been
> very vocal about it for that entire period.
>
> What do I do? - I can tell you what I don't do
> and that's applaud.
>
> There's nothing - absolutely NOTHING redeeming
> about this song. Cheesey riff - even cheesier
> chorus and lame, throwaway, rote solos.
>
> It plays to the lowest common denominator of
> drunken, out of touch rock fans...and that's cause
> enough to loathe it.

Have you ever asked yourself why the rest of the 99% of the audience is dancing their ass off to this song and screaming applause while you are frowning and yawning and can't wait for the song to be over?

It must be really frustrating for you to understand how cheesy it is and have to put up with tens of thousands of screaming people when you clearly understand in excruciating detail exactly why that the song is no good.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:35

Why?

Because they can... and besides it is a great rocker, gets the croud going every time

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 11, 2005 20:24

Hey, hey, hey!

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: September 11, 2005 21:47

Sing it loud 'n' proud billwebster: HEY HEY HEY YOU GOT ME ROCKING NOW!!! I loved this song when it first came out and I still love it to this very day! It's one of those rockers that's in your face from start to finish IMO. Gotta love a song that can do that to you!smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2005 21:56

love the song, it just rocks, can't deny

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 12, 2005 02:21

I think it is a very good song but not a great one. I like Love Is Strong from the same album (Voodoo Lounge) alot better.

I do think it is cool, though, that they have taken one of their more recent songs and given it warhorse status. It is not the one I would have picked, but it does seem to really connect with audiences, even with the audience members who probably only own the greatest hits. I'm in favor of them playing more stuff from 1980 and up and less from the 60s and 70s, so at least making this song a warhorse is a step in the right direction. I'd like to see Out of Control played at every concert as well.

They should add even more (relatively) recent stuff - Love Is Strong, Flip The Switch, Might As Well Get Juiced, Saint Of Me, One Hit To The Body. And three to four more songs from A Bigger Bang!

Date: September 12, 2005 02:42

CreedenceLives Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Have you ever asked yourself why the rest of the
> 99% of the audience is dancing their ass off to
> this song and screaming applause while you are
> frowning and yawning and can't wait for the song
> to be over?
>
> It must be really frustrating for you to
> understand how cheesy it is and have to put up
> with tens of thousands of screaming people when
> you clearly understand in excruciating detail
> exactly why that the song is no good.
>

Your premise is way off the mark. there is no such crowd reaction, particularly when the song is buried in the setlist (b-stage - what a waste). when they do it early in the show the crowd reaction would be great for twinkle, twinkle little star....so you can base reaction there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2005 02:53

agree with Tod...I dont see a great crowd reaction for it, and ANY song would get a big reaction at the start of a show.

I remember seeing them play it on the b-stage at the Staples Centre in LA on Halloween 2002 and noticing that the crowd around the b-stage (a part of the audience who you'd just ASSUME would know it and would be going nuts with the band playing within a few feet of them) were almost to a man/woman NOT getting into it at all, despite Mick's frantic efforts to get them to participate.

I applaud them for trying to promote their later work, but its simply not one of their stronger songs, even though its consciously tailored for live performance (hence its frequent inclusion)

If youre looking for songs from the post-Tattoo You era that really succeeded in getting a crowd going, then the two that spring to mind for me would be Saint Of Me and Out of Control. Both of them were real highlights on the BTB/NS tours and proved that the Stones could indeed still record new songs that their audience could really get into and wanted to hear when they were played in concert.

Date: September 12, 2005 02:59

I would argue that I Go Wild is a much better choice from VL - it was THE centerpiece song of the 94/95 tour - and has virtually been ignored since. Crowd reaction was tremendous for this then and I suspect it would be today.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2005 03:03

yeah, that worked well too....it helped that it came at a "pivotal" point on the show - remmember how Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Darryl would all come down towards the audience and stand in a line and play it (sort of E-Street Band-like)

It was certainly a song they performed well and a definite highlight on that tour. Better song than YGMR too

Date: September 12, 2005 03:07

StonesTod Wrote:
> CreedenceLives Wrote:
> -----
> > StonesTod Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > > Have you ever asked yourself why
> the rest of the
> > 99% of the audience is dancing their ass off
> to
> > this song and screaming applause while you
> are
> > frowning and yawning and can't wait for the
> song
> > to be over?
> >
> > It must be really frustrating for you to
> > understand how cheesy it is and have to put
> up
> > with tens of thousands of screaming people
> when
> > you clearly understand in excruciating
> detail
> > exactly why that the song is no good.
> >
>
> Your premise is way off the mark. there is no such
> crowd reaction, particularly when the song is
> buried in the setlist (b-stage - what a waste).
> when they do it early in the show the crowd
> reaction would be great for twinkle, twinkle
> little star....so you can base reaction there.

The Stones played YGMR ON THE b-Stage at Milwaukee and it rocked everyone in the house... they played it second song in the set and it kicked things up a notch at Chicago Soldier Field...

The simple fact is the vast majority of the audience loves the song...

You weren't at Milwaukee or Chicago so I suppose you were "attending by setlist" ?

Date: September 12, 2005 03:45

CreedenceLives Wrote:

>
> The simple fact is the vast majority of the
> audience loves the song...
>
> You weren't at Milwaukee or Chicago so I suppose
> you were "attending by setlist" ?

Fact? What the hell are you talking about? It's all opinions, mate. You polled 60 thousand people, you're gonna tell me now....sheesh....

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 12, 2005 08:23

It's a great song.
Livewise it doesn't come off as well as it should I think cos Mick doesn't go for it vocally in the chorus and Keith's guitar is too clean.

On the lp you got dirt and sreaming.
Just gotta get that on stage and I think people might warm to it as a live number.

Anyways, we want some f'n songs out there representing post 1981!

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 12, 2005 09:25

I think the vast majority of posts in this thread should tell anyone what people think of this song.

I'll add one more, IT KICKS ASS! As for I Go Wild just play them back to back at home and the reasons they opt for YGMR live should be abundantly clear. I Go Wild (which I like) is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too slow.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-12 09:41 by RankOutsider.

Date: September 12, 2005 09:32

RankOutsider Wrote:
> I think the vast majority of posts in this thread
> should tell anyone what people think of this song.
>
>
> I'll add one more, IT KICKS ASS! And it's
> WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than I Go Wild. Just
> play them back to back at home and the reasons
> they opt for YGMR live should be abundantly clear.
> I Go Wild is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too slow.
>
> The longer I post on this board the clearer it is
> who the REAL Stones fans are. The same @#$%&
> people dog them ALL the time for one reason or
> another.
>
>
>
>
> "Once upon a time I was your little rooster, but
> now I'm just one of your cocks"

Rank... in defense of the YGMR haters, I think they don't like the song because it is JUST SO SIMPLE...

"You got me rockin..." that's a one-sentence song, but what we YGMR lovers like about it is that when it's played AT THE RIGHT TIME IN THE SET it just connects with the fans at a very simplistic basic "rock" level.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home