Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"And In Flies A Guy, He's All Dressed Up Just Like A Union Jack"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 9, 2005 18:16

Townshend, right? Well, according to Who legend, it was Entwistle who "invented" the Union Jack jacket and it was Entwistle who was the first member of the Who to wear one. Any historians out there know any stories relating to the most garbled lyrics in Stones history?

For years, I didn't know they were saying "Hey, hey, you, you". To me, it always sounded like four different words. Not that I had any idea what the four words were!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-09 18:21 by tatters.

Re: "And In Flies A Guy, He's All Dressed Up Just Like A Union Jack"
Date: September 9, 2005 18:41

Mick Jagger (1995): "That was Keith's melody and my lyrics. It's a stop-bugging-me, post-teenage-alienation song. The grown-up world was a very ordered society in the '60s, and I was coming out of it. America was even more ordered than anywhere else. I found it was a very restrictive society in thought and behavior and dress."

Keith Richards: "Get Off My Cloud was basically a response to people knocking on our door asking us for the follow up to Satisfaction. Satisfaction was such an enormous hit worldwide. This, to us, was mind-blowing. I mean not only was it a #1 record but, boom! We thought, 'At last. We can sit back and maybe think about events.' Suddenly there's the knock at the door and of course what came out of that was Get Off Of My Cloud. Because within 3 weeks, in those days hey, they want another single. And we weren't quite ready for that. So it was our response to the knock at the door: Get off of my cloud. And I'm surprised that it did so well. I mean it has a certain charm but I really remember it as a knee-jerk reaction. And it came out better than I thought."

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 9, 2005 18:55

Could be a thing where they were prepared to rest on their laurels for a while, but then, here comes the competition, in the form of the "guy all dressed up just like a Union Jack". My Generation went to #2 on the UK singles chart, so the Stones may have felt like they were being drawn into a game of See If You Can Top This! And they did!

Date: September 10, 2005 00:11

Wasn't it Pete Townsend who 'stole' the swinging of his arm before hitting the cords on his guitar from Keith?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 10, 2005 00:16

yes. keith used to warm up by swinging his arm . pete supposedly asked him if he could use it.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 10, 2005 01:53

I love reading this kind of shitsmiling smiley The Stones have been SOOOOOO pivotal to what we know as rock 'n roll. Pete getting the arm swing from Keith just thrills me to the bones.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: limeybstrd ()
Date: September 10, 2005 04:25

Hey - does anyone know the story behind the version of Get Off My Cloud that appears on the Stereo Rarities boot? I really like it, but I can't find out any info. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home