Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is it just me...
Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 8, 2005 06:53

Or does it seem like on some of the of the songs on the new CD they left out one of the guitar tracks? I don't mean this as a slam, ABB is great, but on a few songs it almost seems like there are holes screaming for a half way decent lead and all we get is nothing - or another harp break or a littel fiddling around with half a lead or some slide guitar that isn't really called for. I know Ronnie wasn't at most of the recording, and he's had personal problems, so how about a guest or two to fill in? That would have been cool.

Well, our heroes are getting on in years, and it seems some "virtuosity" is falling by the wayside. That's my take. ABB contains many great songs, and I love it. I'm just making the observation that several would definitely benefit from a little more "opening up" with the hot lead guitar stuff... I don't know how else to say it.

Just an observation. Make sense to anyone? -Jimmy

Re: Is it just me...
Posted by: deg01 ()
Date: September 8, 2005 07:18

Yes, I have been missing this from many albums since Mick Taylor left the band.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: September 8, 2005 07:23

I think I understand what you mean. You are used to the Stones making sonically "dense" songs (3 guitars, several vocal tracks layered, piano or other instruments) which has been their way, album wise...a lot of stuff going on at once.

BANG has that on some songs ( Justice, Oh No, She Saw Me, Cat) and on other songs it is very minimalist. I do not feel that anyhting is missing.

It reminds of the movie Amadeus when the Sire says that Wolfgang's opera was great except that it had "Too many notes" and Wolfgang replies that it had neither too many nor too little, it had just the right amount of notes required.

Thats how I see it.

Milo, NYC
Now you've grown into a foxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 8, 2005 07:29

Pretty cool response. Thanks, Milo. I'm going to think about that when I play the CD again.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 8, 2005 07:50

Good call Milo, it is a very minimalistic album, very tight arrangements and production. The strength is in the songs themselves. There is only one song that makes me wonder what MT could have done and that is LIND. I think the song as it stands is an R&B classic, ((god the hand clapping/chanting at the end just blows my mind, (Marvin Gaye?/Temptations?))

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home