Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sweet Neo Con
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 4, 2005 09:33

I think maybe the political tone of this song has influenced its perception. I think it has a great groove and i love Mick's singing - i think it's up there with the very best on the album.

Re: Sweet Neo Con
Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: September 4, 2005 10:02

I agree with that to a point - I picked the album at at 12 midday in perth, australia - i've just finished playing it through, and it's a great track and groove with nice harp - oh, and there ain't no filler either!

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 4, 2005 10:52

Srange how we all differ.
It's the first song along with "BOMH" that I'd get rid of if it had to be a 12 song lp.

Hi Tom
I'm in Perth too. I forgot about city Sunday trading.
Which shop did you get it at?

I only have mono mp3s of most tracks that I found on the net.
Can't wait to hear the album cranking in the car on the way home!

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 4, 2005 12:44

Yeah this song has a great groove. it is the lyric's that make people iffy. I like it

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 4, 2005 12:46

I think it's, along with Streets Of Love and Look What The Cat... among the worst three songs of the album.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 4, 2005 12:51

That's funny. I actually like Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con and Look What The Cat Dragged In. The riffs are great on the two latter songs IMO.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 4, 2005 13:38

musicaly, NEO CON IS SO GREAT... IT'S MADE FOR THE SHOW. HARP COULD BE LONGer AND FUNNY. a song made to laugh with the public.

Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: September 4, 2005 14:25

hey kyle m - I got it from JB hifi in the city, i couldn't break the tradition of getting the new album as soon as I could - it's friggin' outstanding!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 4, 2005 14:38

smiling smiley "Opinions are like a*sholes-everybody got one, and they stink" Dirty Harry smiling smiley
I would let go of SOL and Sweet Neocon, cause I donĀ“t think they are up the standard of the rest of the songs.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-04 14:40 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 4, 2005 15:48

That's one of the best political songs I've heard: the lyrics just nail it (they sum up perfectly the point of view of most people here in Europe), and the groove is steady, but doesn't draw the attention away from the lyrics. I like it. Ah, and the harmonica, of course!!!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: pafult01 ()
Date: September 4, 2005 19:07

I like the music, the groove and the harp on Neo Con. Also agree with the message 100%. Bush sucks! But the lyrics seem a little juvenile, like something an angry 14 year old would write. Too much "moon" "spoon" "june" simple sort of rhyming. The lyrics are direct though - maybe Mick is sick of speaking in metaphor.

I kept this one on my edited version of the album, along with Cat, BOMH, etc. Can't stand SOL, IMO only truly bad song on album. People seem to either love or hate Cat. Can't understand how anyone can not like BOMH, though? Can someone please explain that one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-04 19:09 by pafult01.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2005 04:22

"Sweet Neo Con" should have been released as a hidden track in the US states that voted for Bush only. That would have been a statement.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 5, 2005 04:52

Gee Tom Petty and Monkey May...I am in Perth too...! Unbelievable 3 of us on this board!!!

I picked up my copy at 12.50pm Perth Time at T**X in Mandurah on Saturday. They had heaps on the shelves!!

Great record, isnt it?

Rod

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: September 5, 2005 04:59

Lyrics are great, i do agree 100% with Mick, the song sounds excelent, great song

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 5, 2005 06:08

Roddy and Tom.
Esky (here on the board) is also in Perth.
Every so often we have Stones nights at my brother's place - also a Stones freak but not on the board - and stay up listening to, watching, talking about Stones and drinking lots of beer.
Maybe we should organise sometime for the lot of yus to get together and say hello?
Over a beer of course.
yawning smiley)

You got it Saturday Roddy??
Was driving my wife up the wall all weekend saying how I wish it were Monday so I could get the album!
Could have saved her taking a few disprin if I'd known to look on Sat! haha.

Hi pafult01

I do like "Back of my hand". It is excellent blues but nothing that hasn't been done a thousand times before.
It's just a song that doesn't much enhance the album but would be a great b side.
Let's face it, almost any half bad songwriter could churn these types of songs out all day long.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 5, 2005 07:52

It's a good song. They lyrics work well. I think it if it had a better riff it might be a bit more effective. But it's good none the less and definitely not the worst off the album.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 5, 2005 08:09

Kyle,

gday...yep Saturday at T**X in Mandurah. Also have a promo copy. Nuthin different, just sticker on back, "Sample not for sale".

It's a really good record, immproving with continued playing.

Rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home