Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Bigger Bang - Fan Thoughts ?
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 1, 2005 20:16

i'm sure there is another thread here discussing our own thoughts on ABB. but i can't find it. so i've started this one

post your own song by song thoughts. its all about personal opinions obviously but it'd be nice to read other folks' thoughts on each song

anyway. here are my thoughts for what its worth.

rough justice : 9/10 - excellent, goofy rock n roller. swaggers like it should

let me down slow : 5/10 - filler. pleasant enough but nothing of substance

it wont take long : 6/10 - as above. not sure what to make of it. its ok, doesn't really do much to warrant more comment

rain fell down : 8/10 - really nice and funky. maybe a tad too long though.

streets of love : 1/10 - rubbish. crap. garbage

back of my hand : 8/10 - verging on stunning, gets better and better with each listen

she saw me coming : 7.5/10 - not sure why i like it. but i do

biggest mistake : 3/10 - middle of the road tripe. wouldn't sound out of place on a solo Jagger effort. not a good thing!

this place is empty : 7/10 - another great Keef song. but i can't help thinking it'd be far better on a new solo Keef album rather than a Stones one

oh no not you again : 7.5/10 - a great tune, but would've benefited from a better opening. a simple opening riff would've improved it, the start is too messy. no shape to grab you from the off

dangerous beauty : 7/10 - decent, 80's era sounding Stones track. could sound even better live

laugh i nearly died : 8.5/10 - shit hot!

sweet neocon : 5.5/10 - average, was hoping it'd be a corker to back up the hype

look what the cat dragged in : 6/10 - not sure what to make of it. its ok, doesn't really do much to warrant more comment

driving too fast : 6/10 - not awful, not great. would've benefited from a more ballsy guitar track. they sound a bit limp. again could be great live

infamy : 7/10 - good song, not my fave Keef one, not sure its a Stones track though. maybe it'd fit better on one of Keef's solo albums

overall. i'd give the album 7/10

Re: A Bigger Bang - Fan Thoughts ?
Posted by: KristinL. ()
Date: September 1, 2005 20:25

Andy..I really agree with your review. I logged in to this discussion JUST so I could comment on 'Back of my hand'...I was so freakin' happy when I heard that tune. I was so happy, I CRIED! I LOVED IT! It's been a long, long, time for them to get back to this bluesy sounding type of song.
I absolutely love when Mick sings the blues!
I really only loved this..and the Laugh, I died. The others...eh..not too thrilled.
I was so wishing they would have done an album like Exile...complete rough and just plain..THEM! What The Stones are so good at..Rockin' out the blues!
I don't care..been a fan for over 30 years...I'm just glad as hell they're still playing stadiums and making new music.
By-the-way..for the girls...MICK IS STILL WAY TOO HOT!
Too bad my teen daughter just doesn't get it! What's wrong with kids these days!
Bye!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 1, 2005 20:27

actually - averaging your individual responses - you give the album a 6.1875. About what I would rate it overall.

Posted by: apolodoro ()
Date: September 1, 2005 20:59

I love "Infamy". The best song in this album, no doubt. Highlights are "she saw me coming", "oh no...", "rough justice", "laugh, I nearly died", and "STREETS OF LOVE", in spite of the critics... Also "biggest mistake", "let me down slow" and "back of my hand" and "rain fall down" are great moments. I don't like "sweet neo con", although the lyrics are very apropiated to the geopolitical situation.
I hope they play much more new stuff, and of course midnight rambler and gimme shelter in Europe.
Regards.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 2, 2005 21:01

I've been impressed reading how many tracks are played by just the three of them (Mick, Keith, Charlie)!

Also, I do like Sweet Neo - Con: the music is ok, but the lyrics really nail it!
It's true: 65 minutes of music flowing like 65 seconds...
good Job, guys!!!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: yeti ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:40

rough justice 9/10
let me down slow 7/10
it wont take long 8/10
rain fell down 5/10
streets of love 5/10
back of my hand 8/10
she saw me coming 7/10
biggest mistake 5/10
this place is empty 7/10
oh no not you again 9/10
dangerous beauty 8/10
laugh i nearly died 8.5/10
sweet neocon 4/10
look what the cat dragged in 5/10
driving too fast 7/10
infamy 7/10

overall 7/10

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 3, 2005 00:45

PUT YOUR RATINGS ON MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home