Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Got Me Rockin'
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:29

Why does Mick think this song is a classic? It gets played as much as any of the so-called warhorses. It is way down my list of Stones tunes (even way down the list of songs from VL). I'd personally rather hear some of the obscure or semi-obscure stuff from the often overlooked period of 66-67.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-24 22:29 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: You Got Me Rockin'
Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:31

I like it, it has a solid groove, infectious guitars, & works well live.

Date: August 24, 2005 22:35

It always sounds a bit forced to me. I think it is the tom-toms. Also, I always thought Mick should say "Until" or "But" before he says "You Got Me Rockin'".

Posted by: Kahuna ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:40

I don't think that Mick think it's a classic at all. I just think that he really get's his "rocks off" singing the song!! (for one reason or another, I clearly won't speculate that it's somehow got anything to do with sex... ;-)
If it keeps him happy/motivated - more power to the song!! Sure I would prefer lot's and lot's of other songs, but if it keeps him sharp, then fine by me!

Date: August 24, 2005 22:44

I think they need it to balance out the setlist

Since they just about ignore Steel Wheels
Plus VL won them thier first Grammy (as if that matters but whatever)
It's not a fave of mine but i can see how they have made it a 'modern warhorse'

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:46

I think it's a favorite of Keith's actually.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:53

I also think its one of Keith's favorite. Don't want to mis-quote him but he has spoken very highly of it in the past. I didn't mind it before but they have played it to death in my opinion. Rather hear something else from VL like Brand New Car or Mean Disposition.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:02

YGMR is simplistic and caveman-like... light years behind from the quality writing (musically and lyrically) they're capable of... Plus, the chord structure is super derivative...
"Hey, hey, hey, you got me..."
(Homer Simpson-like: "wo-o-o-w!")
This takes an hour to get to the point!
Other RS songs were about getting laid too, but so much more subtle!
I hate it!!

Date: August 24, 2005 23:06

Well, all points quite valid I agree, but must say the real hard, gutbucket versions this week are great body music, - very hard-hitting, no audible piano, all slashing chords and crazy rooster slide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-24 23:08 by john r.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:09

It seems to jump start Mick and Keith when they play it...just watch them come alive (as they usually do during Tumbling Dice, too)....

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:35

Never find anything special in this song. I agree 100% with Elmo. This a poor song, with a poor structure. Prefer Sparks Will Fly. Not a classic but better than YGMR.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:46

Odd-beat is dead-on. this song plays to the lowest-common denominator amongst the casual fans. That's why I hate it so much. It's one of the very few songs in their live rotation over the years that I genuinely despise. It must go and go soon....hopefully to replaced by an ABB tune in the near future....

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:54

When I saw this song in Nashville in 2002, it ROCKED!! I loved it, and I love the studio version as well. While the lyrics aren't the best they've ever written, I think it's a fun song.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 25, 2005 00:16

For me it's just an attempt of Mick to get another stadium rocker like "Start Me Up".

Poor attempt at all...

I even like "Miss You" more than that one.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 25, 2005 00:18

The song is excellent but it definitely shouldn't be played so often.I guess that the guys are really enjoying themselves while playing this one

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 25, 2005 00:33

I'd rather hear I go wild. It was great when they all went to the front of the stage with their guitars.

Date: August 25, 2005 00:35

What's wrong with Miss You?

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 25, 2005 00:52

Miss you is an amazing song,one of my favourites.I never thought of it as of disco song.Actually it's the song that introduced me with The Stones.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 25, 2005 01:05

I dont have a problem with Miss You either...
But I believe its the pumpin swellin overloaded dull disco bass
Bill (?)´s playing there, that gives people the creeps.

But better a pumpin bass from the 70´s than some stiff-legged routine-
dozen-half-achieved-rocker from the 80´s (What would that be?)...

It also has the handicap of being popular...
Like with Angie; so many die-.hard fans sey they despise it, but all
their wives & girlfriends just luuuv it.
- This reminds me, an old Bowie-fan, of when all the schoolmates ran around-
andround talkin bout Ashes To Ashes, with "that great David
Bowie" who we all had listened to since at least 1971-72... Not good.
Not to mention when the fooker grew really h-u-g-e in the 80´s.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 25, 2005 01:18

It's not the bass overload, but that I've heard it on just every Stones gig I visited, from '82 on. It just bores the daylight outta me, as does YGMR, YCAGWYW, Shattered, TD, Beast, Satisfaction, IORR...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2005 01:26

black n blue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd rather hear I go wild. It was great when they
> all went to the front of the stage with their
> guitars.

Yeah, great song!

Date: August 25, 2005 04:03

Yeah, I'd much rather hear "I Go Wild". It was great in 1994 as was "Love Is Strong". Both are much better than YGMR. Never dreamed this post would get such response.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: August 25, 2005 09:31

I think YGMR kicks holy grail ass, I don't know what's wrong with you people.

Odd-beat wrote: YGMR is simplistic and caveman-like... light years behind from the quality writing (musically and lyrically) they're capable of... Plus, the chord structure is super derivative...
"Hey, hey, hey, you got me..."
(Homer Simpson-like: "wo-o-o-w!")

Derivative of what? Rock 'n' roll?

It's 'primal' yes, but isn't that what rock 'n' roll is supposed to be?

I think the lyrics are great too, it speaks of people losing their touch, and then being re-inspired by someone, which is why Mick and Keith probably like it so much. Like maybe "we're not to old to rock 'n' roll"

I GO Wild is my other favorite rocker from VL, it just drags a bit compared to YGMR. Play them back to back.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-25 10:12 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: August 25, 2005 09:37

So what if it is simplistic?

Satusfaction is one of the easiest riffs ever to play.

The verse in Start Me Up is basically two chords.

Easy never means bad, AC/DC is the perfect example. There stuff is soo basic, but no one can play it like them.

The Stones are more "complicated" than AC/DC but their simple stuff still kicks ass.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2005 09:47

a band should play what feels good to them - if a number (or a set list) doesn't groove the band, it isn't gonna groove anybody else.
YGMR real clearly feels good to the Rolling Stones, and that is 100% fine with me. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 25, 2005 15:20

My point about it being "simplistic" is not so much in the chord structure (however derivative it is, re. to the Stones or Richards solo catalogue... have no specific example coming to mind, so I'll shut up on this I guess), but in the melody.
Take your Satisfaction; chord structure infantile, but melody line out of a dream (literally I gather). Often this is what "classic" RnR is all about, or any old music for that matter.
Or Shattered with its two major chords alternating. But it's not simplistic, because a whole lot of crazy, speech-like rhythm stuff is going on in the vocal part (and it's not anything goes/all improvised, like I used to believe, 'cause MJ sang it live just the same way). Plus some inventive, fun words and rhymes like "success, success / sex n' sex..." You also have an elaborate bridge where the guitar solo takes place... Not to mention the "shattered" and "shaydoobee" and "shattered, shattered" choruses which seem to come in odd places but they don't...

Posted by: salar ()
Date: August 25, 2005 15:37

after it`s release on VL they played the song regularly on the VL tour....
it was KEITH who loved that tune during that time....
keith said in an interview that it was not one of Micks favorite during the VL tour.

When dicussing about the setlist for the Babylon tour Keith was totaly surprised,
that it was now Mick , who wanted to play that song night by night.
It grow to Mick and it became one of his favorite live tunes from tour to tour.

To me personaly: I love to hear it live...but not always.

salar

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 28, 2005 05:54

It's just good. Especially the MSG show in 03. Watch it!

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: August 28, 2005 05:56

it is a classic

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: August 28, 2005 07:06

I like it. I love the live version at twickeinum(?) . Better than Start Me up. It has good crowd feedback too. On the hey hey hey's

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home