Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Streets Of Love - I love it!
Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: August 24, 2005 03:39

I must admit, it's awful bright...

Seems like everybody is bashing SOL, but I think it's really a catchy tune. I love the melody, love Mick's singing (only Mick can sing that i-i-i-i), even love the lyrics (since when do we judge the Stones by the lyrics? for lyrics we listen to Dylan). The repeat of 'awful' is a great vocal hook. Of course it's also a typical Mick song in Alfie style, but that soundtrack had a few great tunes.

I would love to hear SOL live, coz then it gets better, without the - indeed - strawberry backline. Some close to nasty guitars would make it a 9/10 rated song.

Re: Streets Of Love - I love it!
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 24, 2005 04:45

The board goes *SILENT* and stares at this post

"CRICKET"

"CRICKET"

"CRICKET"

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: johang ()
Date: August 24, 2005 04:50

OK I will break it, its a BAD BAD BAD song,

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: August 24, 2005 04:50

I agree. It's a kick ass ballad. Mick's singing is awesome and I love the heavy guitars that come in below the chorus.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: August 24, 2005 05:35

I had started to like it better after about 15 listens, but stopped...I'm waiting to listen to it again within the context of the album.Still, I'm doubtful I'll ever love it, but perhaps may end up thinking it's okay.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 24, 2005 05:49

its ok for me , middle of the road track

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: August 24, 2005 06:00

Saintmick - I must agree with you that it is the catchiest tune I've heard so far from the new songs. I also think it has mass appeal......... I really want to hear it live.

Posted by: LolA ()
Date: August 24, 2005 07:09

I also love Mick's voice on it. I think it's great and only he can do it like that.

Otherwise I think this song was clearly created to get them airplay and from what I hear it works, so great! It doesn't bother me, I find it funny, shows that Mick is well in control!!

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: August 24, 2005 07:34

I like this song a lot too. I was disappointed when I saw they didn't play it live the first night. I know I'll get a lot of crap for saying that, but whatever. They should've played it b/c it's a "single" and I don't know why you wouldnt play one of the 2 singles to a very large crowd when ur trying to push an album. Unless they can't play it live well enough yet, they should've played it. Bad move on their part. And yes i'm prepared for all the comments that are probably going to fly at me for saying that.

Posted by: Knut ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:00

i like it!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:32

i like it to tugs the heart a bit

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:36

I like it too. Should be as powerful as Angie. If they can catch up audience with that song : great.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 24, 2005 11:41

Johan!
For once (and only this once?) I agree with you...
At SOL Jagger really hasnt touched the heights, but the bottom.
Still, I´m sure it will climb high on the charts.
Hope not Keih will humiliate himself by doin any chois job on it.

Anyway, I dont care much; cause ABB so blastin good & the tour seem to
rock AND roll... One swop-stopper or -slower doesnt make much difference.
You must have the lower moments to appreciate the real good stuff!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:48

its a great song jaggers vocals so good....well you could say its AWFUL good song...just wish he didnt over use the word AWFUL..

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:52

i think it's not a bad song.. don't particularly like it more than other stones songs. but the way people bash it is ridicoulus.
it was not a good choice for a single, but it's not a BAD song or something. it's got what every song needs.. a smooth build-up, nice vocals, nice tune. it's a bit poppy, but i don't mind listening to it.

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:58

This awful this awful that is @#$%& forced in the lyrics. And the you broke my heart-shit. I throw up, when I hear it. The song is real shit.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 24, 2005 13:37

I really don't like the song!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: percystokes ()
Date: August 24, 2005 14:26

Great song.....really grows on you......A song that matures like a fine wine,Mick and Keith are very clever at writing songs like that.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:27

Bought the single today and it's my first listen to both songs.

1.SOL

The worst part is the beginning. His vocals are way to loud in the mix. And then having to hear him enunciate every syllable with such precise clarity - as if he is giving someone a lesson in how to pronounce the letter 't'.

So, simply, that ruins the whole song, which otherwise builds nicely in a rather predictable way. Drums give atmosphere which a usual Jagger solo song lacks. Guitars could have been done by anyone. Therefore, it isn't a Stones track.

He sings well, but without an ounce of any genuine emotion.

AND now for the shocking part.....

it's much better than Rough Justice - which everyone has been raving about but which is really not as good as half Jagger's solo rockers - even if K and R are playing. It just isn't a very interesting riff, chord sequence or anything really. So forgetable. It may have a certain attitude/stance and a nice slide break. But so what. It is conceptually weak. Thru and thru.

Have played both 3 times. The one that has stuck in my head is SOL. So it was probably a good choice for a single - because the general unwashed won't care about the falsity of the opening but will just like the "I, I, I,...." chorus.

btw it is the thickest vinyl single I have ever bought. And it still had crackles. Never had that on a new single before. Wonder if they were deliberate!

Am not now looking forward to the album - but have ordered one on vinyl too.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 24, 2005 22:38

yeah---SOL will be another Stones-classic. Lets talk about that in 15 years

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:37

Does anyone else cringe at the line "...and I was so bad"? I just picture Austin Powers with a finger on his lip saying "I'm soooo naughty!" when I hear that line.

Ugh!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 23:40

FSW - thanks for the honesty. I think RJ/SOL are incredibly odd choices for first-outs on this album, which contains many far better tracks. These two songs will be footnotes (at best) in the Stones catalogue, IMO.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 25, 2005 00:39

I don't think it will be a hit. And I do listen to the Stones for words as well as music.

Date: August 25, 2005 01:11

JohnR, It might be a minor hit in the UK.....because...and this is shocking....it (SOL) is the sort of stuff that the youth market buys here. There are a lot of 'boybands' here doing sicky ballads with bland and forgettable tunes. Well, this song has the same type of corny sentiments, (albeit by a man-band) but has a stronger structure and better hook. So, it may work. I really think Mick was trying to capture the youth market again.

If he'd only given the intro more thought/care then it might have worked. The transition from sparsely-instrumented intro to full-blown instrumentation is to sharp/clumsy. But thereafter it builds well. I actually like the bit where the guitar 'solo' comes in and that guitar break is well structured and just the right length.

Apart from Brand New Set Of Rules, the other Jagger song it reminds me of is Hard Woman. The 'thousand years bit' - done so much better in HW. All his vocal mannerisms are so familiar to us from these songs and sound repetitive - but they might seem fresh and interesting to younger folk not acquainted with his (relatively) obscure solo work.

Regarding RJ - just listen to, for example, Shoot Off Your Mouth for a better Jagger rocker. Killer Beck guitar but dreadful drum sound and annoying keyboards. Still a far better composition though.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 25, 2005 06:22

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FSW - thanks for the honesty. I think RJ/SOL are
> incredibly odd choices for first-outs on this
> album, which contains many far better tracks.
> These two songs will be footnotes (at best) in the
> Stones catalogue, IMO.

Alright my man, I'm just not understanding your consistent indifference (not just this post) with why the boys released SOL/RJ single from what is by most advanced critiques a great album (and I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, BUT you seem like you're on a mission!) And don't misunderstand, I recognize the fact that you're a life-long Stones fan whose brings a substantial pedigree to the table as a critic (at least that's my perception on this board).

Did you happen to give pause to the notion that maybe they (stones) didn't want to shoot the wad right out of the gate (but IMO RJ is firing both barrels)? And BTW as a sampling on this board (AND THIS IS JUST A SAMPLING); SaintMick, Josh2131, 4Tylix, ShatterednVA, Lola, JJGreg, Knut, Mandu, Terry, percystones, Havo, "Debra's" Husband, Jackass, PHD, Stone-relics, GThe Cock, sender, etc., all seem to kinda of favor SOL. Just trying to understand what that says about your idea of why this song sucks?? Please enlighten me. And I'm not trying to pick one out of a crowd, but I think you're in a minority opinion here.

As for Rough Justice, well, (ANOTHER SAMPLING- Shorter because I'm tired-and again you're definitely in the minority), ShatterednVA, Jackass, Gthe Cock, Drake, Myself, Havo, Humanriff77, Milo, Hound Dog, Sender and (dare I say) Gazza all seem to think this one rocks! Another throwaway rocker?? WTF does that mean? I don't understand. This one rocks like a bitch in heat in my headphones and I'm sure yours as well except I honestly can't grasp your point of view.

In sum, I'm not saying either one of these tunes will shoot up the charts and be showstoppers on the tour, but what I am saying is that these tunes are not overproduced, slicked up BS that we've seen before (at least the last couple of past Stones efforts) and I honestly can't understand why there's not more regard? Oh well, I guess I'm not getting that free lunch in San Fran. Sure hope you find more in the silver lining with this album, because I haven't even heard it all the way through as you have, but I know for sure that its a keeper and I'm sorry to tell you that Rough Justice will be the first track I play when I get the disc-And the volume will be up LOUD!!!!!!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 25, 2005 06:57

I'm amazed to read negative opinions regarding Rough Justice from the hardcore elite. I have quite a few friends who are into indierock, hardcore, screamo, crazy thrash metal stuff... Even these kids seem to really dig Rough Justice. "This is the Stones?" is the immediate reaction. I guess when people have only heard whats on the oldies station they're amazed to hear anything "new". I know very few people my age who have heard ANYTHING from 69+ aside from the FM staples.

Streets of Love has definately grown on me. I'd agree with others in that the radio edit chops off some of the groove on this track.

Anyways, tough to comment without hearing the whole record in completion. Maybe other bands will start to catch on and bring back album oriented rock. Screw singles, I'm listening start to finish!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 25, 2005 07:25

SOL - Mick's vocals just plain blow. Even if the melody were any good (it's not, imo) and the chorus wasn't the cheesiest thing I've ever heard by the lads (it is, imo) - I would not be able to stomach this song for the vocals alone....for the same reason I bypass a good part of Mick's solo catalogue. Had Mick adopted this vocal persona back in "the day" - I probably would not have become a Stones fan at all, as a matter of fact. It's completely without conviction, soul or depth. I could imagine perhaps Van Morrison salvaging this lame ballad into something bordering on listenable.

RJ - just not a good song. Ok, it "rocks." I got news for you - all rock and roll songs "rock." That alone doesn't make it good. It's a "nothin'" riff with no bite to it at all (IMHFO of course). Ronnie's solo - mailed in. Doesn't really even fit the song, if as you ask me. Vocals - not bad - but there's nothing to deliver. I'm not suggesting this is a horrible song or anything. But, it's definite rote and by-the-numbers (you could certainly say that about alot of Stones rockers in the Ronnie era, of course). Bottom line - it doesn't get me up to dance - not even sure I could dance to it, actually. That's really the deal with these kind of songs - they either work for you or they don't.

Hope that clears things up for you, crossfire. It's the honest opinion of a life-long Stones fan and former rock'n'roll disc jockey and critic.

As to "majorities" or "minorities" of opinion - I'm not what that has to do with the price of eggs. Everyone's entitle to one's opinion - there are no rights or wrongs. With one exception - I don't know anyone on this board on a personal basis - and I really don't have a "feel" for where other folks are coming from. My 3 best friends - all who happen to be Stones fanatics - don't post on these boards. And, they all independently are in agreement with me on SOL...2 of them like RJ (don't love it, but like it) and the other basically is on the same page with me. Those opinions matter to me, because I understand their context.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-25 08:25 by StonesTod.

Date: August 25, 2005 11:16

Was listenig to Primitive Cool again last night. RJ is very similar in pace and beat to Shoot Off Your Mouth. Now, the latter and its successor, Peace for the Wicked, if they had had the benefit of Keith, Bill, Charlie and Ron, would have been Fantastic Stones's songs. As it is they suffer. But they were well structured songs - as you'd expect from MJ.

RJ could have been on PC and it would have been lampooned. It would not have had a Stones touch and 'rocked' so hard - and it has no memorable riff anyway - so, it might not have even made the album. The lyrics aren't even that good, not as good as "Now I'm back in town and feeling mighty fit.....I'm sick and tired of eating all your chicken shit". It might have been an out-take from PC or perhaps single's B-side, (backside! or arse!)

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: August 25, 2005 13:39

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was listenig to Primitive Cool again last night.
> RJ is very similar in pace and beat to Shoot Off
> Your Mouth.

And so what! RJ is a decent rocker any way IMO
Here are Keef's words from 1994 about LIS:

I started that one. To me, it's intimately related to Wicked As It Seems, which I did last year. All of our songs are like... this one's the cousin of that one. They're all offshoots of themes and motifs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-25 13:40 by KillRill.

Date: August 25, 2005 13:54

Killrill,

Thanks for quoting just one sentence. I then went on to explain how Shoot Off and Peace For are better rockers, but without Stones' touch. i.e. RJ might be a 'decent rocker' but it's not as good as some of Jagger's solo rockers (which could have been great with Stones touch)... and that it is hardly PC out-take quality. The only thing making it possibly half-decent is Charlie, and to some extent the guitars, though they just make the best of a weak, almost riffless, tune. (Not even sure if there's a tune).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home