Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I love Steel Wheels!
Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:16

Who the HELL is with me? I'm tired of hearing it bashed all the time. I think every track is fantastic! The tour was great too...

Re: I love Steel Wheels!
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:23

Yeah it's the best Stones record since '85.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:30

their best work of '89

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:30

Every tour of the Stones was great, including SW/UJ of course. But SW album in my opinion is just a passable album, nothing more. I loved much more VL and B2B. So, i am not with you bigbang, but it just a matter of taste...

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:33

BigBang,

I'm with you 100%. Bluesy, Rocky, Balady. Good songs all. Guitars on song.

Just ignore the negative replies you get from the conservative fans.

We are R&R Rebels!

Posted by: Knut ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:34

Yes! Continental drift and Almost hear you sigh are really great!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:35

IT SUCKS! IT REALLY DOES!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:42

The only LP from the stones that I really thought was complete crap, even worst then Statanic Majesty, I have no idea what they were thinking with that one, it just does not sound like the stones to me, more like a holiday inn lounge band, But in my opinion everything since then has been much much better and Bigger Bang from what I have heard so far is REALLY promising!

Date: August 19, 2005 21:42

No. IT BLOWS!

Date: August 19, 2005 21:47

Stone Walls - which side of the wall/fence are you on here?

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 19, 2005 21:59

steel wheels = good /// tattoo u = great,,,IMO

Posted by: sir_carlos ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:00

It sure is better then DW & Undercover, because it's more clean rock, but I still don't think it's a real stones album. It feels like it is done under rush, but though, their best of DW, Undercover & SW.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:11

i thought undercover was vastly underrated. good thru and thru

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:17

I sort of have mixed feelings about it. Not sure how a Stones fan can think an entire album just completely sucks. There are always a few good things about the worse ones. But this album was almost sort of a "we're back" sort of album. Everyone thought the Stones were done so when this album came out everyone was very upbeat about it. Mind you it has some halfass songs and that crisp 80's sound to it. But there are a few experimental songs here that are interesting like Terrifying and CD. And then there are a few songs that I think are pretty damn good like Almost Hear You Sign, Sad Sad Sad, Break the Spell and Slipping Away. So to judge this album I think you need to look at the time it was made and the state the band was in. I think Voodoo Lounge is a hundred times better but I would not just simply say the SW is crap.

Date: August 19, 2005 22:21

Hound Dog - good points. by the by, ABB has the potential to be the next SW - for reasons you indicate in your post - there is this euphoria right now because it's been 8 years - but in time I have a hunch their will be a revisionist backlash. Look for my post on this subject in 4 years....

Date: August 19, 2005 22:27

1 good thing about Steel Wheels thou ,,,Don Was didn't get his paws on it

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:33

T&A, I think the difference now is that the Stones have been playing live since their last album with two huge world tours. Before the whole future of the band was in doubt. And they had not even performed together in seven years, not counting the gig in 86 for Stu. But you are right there is a lot of anticipation with this album since its been so long. Can't wait to hear them play the new songs on Sunday, I am not going to be able to sleep Saturday night.

Date: August 19, 2005 23:25

i understand the distiniction, Hound Dog. But, the band has never had this big of a break between albums, nothing even close. I do think there is a sense of relief and anxiety in the Stones/fan community and the natural reaction is one of "euphoria." The longer-view reaction will be more realistic with the "actual" quality of the record, as is the norm.

Date: August 19, 2005 23:52

Maybe that's it... Don Was... I really liked Voodoo Lounge when it first came out, but it hasn't held up for me over the years (NEVER liked BTcool smiley. Perhaps, if you listen closely, you can still hear some of that cartoonish mid-80s sound in SW, but I think the production values for the most part are much more Stonesy than anything they've put out since, and all during the rest of the 80s (except maybe ER, now THERE'S an aweful album)... Now ABB may end this streak, we'll see...

Posted by: kees ()
Date: August 20, 2005 00:42

With Statanic and DW one the worst albums they made.
The tour was ok/bit slow because it was not centred around SW, but I think we were already glad they toured again. But compare it with the 78 and 81 tour and you will see that these were not the Stones like we used to know them. Clearly the synergy between Jagger and Richards was over and the Stones became a R&R $ based institute. Charging $400 for tickets.

Date: August 20, 2005 00:52

kees ,,just checked my ticket stubs ,,89 Steel Wheels Front Row Floor tickets were 28.50,,,Voodoo Lounge Front Floors were 50.00,,,saw 4 shows each tour,,,u may be referring to scalper prices i beleive

Date: August 20, 2005 00:59

In SW I hear a band as an integrated unit. I hear layers of Keith in Mixed Emotions. I hear lots of sharp Keith lead. I hear lots of tasty Ronnie Frills. I hear a dirty, swinging bass. The unique Stones' blend is there. They sound alive and lively and I'd say they were having fun and enjoying playing together. NB Fancyman Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You too. Blues jams par excellence.

I hear two magnificent ballads, Slipping Away and Almost hear You Sigh.

I hear an astonishing flight of mystical fancy in Continental Drift.

Circular, bluesy, bass- and guitar-fuelled Hearts For Sale.

Pace and zest of Sad, Sad, Sad.

HOTYH is a bit obvious but it really hits home. That's the way to do it.

Love the fast rhythm guitar of Can't Be Seen - the whole feel and his vocals. The build-up of angry/frustrated tension, which is then released in the lines "set us up so they could shoot us down......" then the exquisite Keith lead guitar phrases - new sounds that he'd not created before.

Drums trip along in lively fashion throughout, (unlike dead and 'static' sound/style of VL).

Terrifying is my favourite. Simple, repetitive, (dirty!),circular bass pattern. Opening with clean, up-tempo guitar. Business from the word 'go'. Just love the lyrics. But the song oozes sex without them. Then all the percussion touches, esp the zylophone. Even a taste of trumpet. And Ronnie's tasty frills. It sounds so lively and spontaneous. Just a pure and natural expression of joyous rhythm.

SW was the last album that you get the whole band in natural swinging sync.

Fresh spontaneity and swing was in short supply on the next one. Perhaps largely due to loss of Wyman and acquisition of Was and Jones.

There were glimpses of spontaneity/swing/adventure on BTB. It was certainly a lot less calculated than VL, (their most deliberately planned output ever? - except for A Bigger Bang, I suspect!!!!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 02:42 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: August 20, 2005 01:08

Great review! Thanks! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 20, 2005 01:11

Keith's solo on Sad Sad Sad doesn't rock...it swings!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 20, 2005 01:12

Nice analysis, four walls - which begets the question - then why does it suck so bad?

Date: August 20, 2005 01:43

No. It begs the question......"Why do YOU suck?"!!!!!

but seriously folks.....I signed off to get a blast of Terrifying......and have now signed on again with important, exciting and ground-breaking news......read on.......

My record deck needs a new needle, so I decided to spare the beloved vinyl. Put the CD (for car use) on instead.

Wow, it sounded tinny and plastic. Drums so clean and forward/loud in the mix. Also, my other favourite, Hearts for Sale sounded synthetic and clean. So, I thought, "heck, perhaps it is all an artificial sounding product after all"...

then had to risk the vinyl.........

AHHHHH.........PERFECT!!!! Dirty bass restored. Drums underpinning everything instead of on top and annoying. A warmer, broader, more integrated sound.

So, there's a lesson. Perhaps many of you have not heard it in its true gritty glory?

But, other things to note:

Ronnie's solo on Terrifying. Mick's harp at end of Hearts For Sale.

Again, again, again.......Bill's natural swinging feel on both tracks.

Then listened on for Blinded By Love. Bill again at his simple, unique best. What warmth. And the blend of acoustics. Lovely lilt. Violin joins in so naturally you don't really notice. Then organ. Acoustic guitar frills. Utterly charming stuff.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 20, 2005 01:46

just havin' fun witcha Four Walls....glad you like the album. i think for many the downside is really in the dated production values. many of the songs themselves and the playin' is fine - something just "sounds wrong."

Date: August 20, 2005 02:38

Then I'm just blessed with bad ears!

The only track I didn't mention was Slipping Away. Bill in his element again, setting out his own narrative under everything. And even on a slow lament like this Charlie sounds animated.

Damn this thread has made me miss Bill - and the band as a true five-piece!

Basta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 02:49 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: August 22, 2005 08:07

I @#$%& love it. The tour, the album, everything. And I don't want to hear all the "proof" that it really sucks. Save it. I love and you can't change my mind. I think that tour really was the Stones in their prime as far a live shows. Again, if you want to tell me how bad it "really" was, save it. Not listening or replying. Steel Wheels was tough as balls.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home