Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Get off Shattered.
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 19, 2005 05:52

I have seen many people wish for Shattered. The song sucks, the 3 or 4 times I've seen it performed it sucked and have never seen good crowd reaction. Because, Huuuuuuuuh ,Oh yea it sucks.

If they play this its a defenite piss call.

Re: Get off Shattered.
Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:18

I think any tune they play this time around will be fantastic (except for Waiting on a Friend, they can shelve that permanently).

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:18

I think it's a good song, the recording that is, but I agree live it lacks a little something.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:25

Chitter chatter, chitter chatter..........

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:30

shmut, shmut, shmut

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:31

Does it matter.....I've be shattered!!!!!!!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:49

Shattered is probably the worst song I've ever heard them do live. It's awful live.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 19, 2005 06:57

The performance of it in New Orleans, 1994, was pretty damn good...not so on the last go-around...

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 19, 2005 11:09

Yeah I agree it sounds somewhat bad when played live. Keith is always way up in the mix and you hear him play the main riff(those 3 notes) real loud with a phaser on. Ronnie's solo is great though, both live and on the album.

I think the problem is there's like 50 layers guitars on Shattered, overdubbed. You can't get that sound on stage.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 19, 2005 11:20

Have thought this for years; already in 78 it did not come off live. It is a total studio song. It's not the guitars; it's the vocals. That rap has to be dead on otherwise it loses the effect. And live there's no dynamics either. Most of that vamp after the bridge is just the lines repeated over and over. They depend on dynamics to work. I don't agree though that they double, triple tracked the guitars on SG though. That is one guitar with a phaser recorded red hot. Several other guitar going on too but not that many. Accoustic and pedal steel ringing. It's funny: on the SNL TV version in the instrumental bridge the song sounds so small and ampty. You can barely hear any leadwork. Only the very straight chords by Keith. (Or Ron, can't remember who played the solo live)

Posted by: misplacedman ()
Date: August 19, 2005 14:19

i think the version on still life is a really good live version. i don't know if it was doctored in mixing but the guitars really work for me and i love keith and ronnie's back-ups.

the reason the version on snl sounds empty in the bridge is because everyone misses the cue. you can see keith signaling to charlie for the bridge at the very last possible second. that's back when he called all the shots onstage. it's really kind of funny.

that all being said, i do think it's a better studio song than live one.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 19, 2005 15:08

By the way on the Let's Spend The Night Together it's still pretty good shit. Mick does an excellent job but they can't get the guitars like on the album.

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: August 19, 2005 15:31

I was in the olympia (paris) in 1995 in shatteres was one of the highlights of the show with all the crowd singing with mick and the sound of Richards!!
The best version i'v known!!

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: August 19, 2005 15:41

Shattered captures the late seventies better than any other song out there. You may or may not like it live but it rocked our socks off then and still rocks now. In fact, Shattered was the song that drew many of my friends in Ohio to like and appreciate the Stones.

I've been to 11 Stones shows and have heard them play all of their songs poorly at one show or another - for instance the 78 show in Cleveland sucked - (maybe that is why the called the greatest hits sucking in the seventies) - The statium shows of 89 sucked. But that doesn't mean I don't keep listening to them and seeing them - I love their music.

And Virgil - all this "boring" chitter chatter. The real question is could you have you ever tried to give it away on 7th Avenue?
have you ever had rats on the westside?
bedbugs up town?

if you didn't have the chance to experience NYC during those years then you probably have no idea what they were refering to.

I had never lived there - but that song motivated me in 1979 at 18 to take my 200 bucks, a six pack of beer with a pocket full of qualudes and get on Greyhound bus for NYC. It was the best experience of my life - spent the entire summer experincing being Shattered! Let them play it for the memories!

peace

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 19, 2005 15:46

ShaterednVA you are right on...it does capture New York during that period...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 19, 2005 16:15

Shattered is right. But not only "Shattered". "Whip" and especially "Miss You". I lived in NYC, in Manhattan in 78 and never ever have I seen a sound, a record so dominate that city like in that summer. It was so cool. "Miss You" blared from every corner and boombox. And Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Whites all loved it. The tour and then Some Giorls came right after. Down in the Park and the Village it was all the rage. By then the Punks (I was a total punk back then) had also gotten into it. Keith got off and came down to celebrate at the Bottom Line. That was when I met him in an elevator. Both of us very drunk. Keith released "Run Rudolph" and the had "Befor ethey make me run"on the album, so all of us punks loved him. Plus Patti Smith praised him every chance she got. And Ronnie was at the pinnacle of his own career too. I remember he was onb the cover oif several mags. Now a fullfledged Stone, he put out "Gimme Some Neck" practically a Stonesrecord and was already getting the Barbarians togfether. In those days r7r radio still existed and we heard much off "Neck"on radio. Mostlty "Don't Worry".
And what was also huge; I don't know if people in Europe can appreciate it: the Stones appeared on Saturday Night Live. That was a major event.
And then yes, of course there was "Shatterd". The lyrix are total NYC. It's like the Stones take on Rap. When the Stones appropriate a music style they make it their own and surpass the original.
We named out band after a line from "Shattered". We were called "Some Kind Of Fashion". The summer of 78 was one of the best times I have ever had. And the soundtrack was Some Girls.

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: August 19, 2005 16:49

Chelsea you hit the nail on the head. The soundtrack for the summer of 78 was Some Girls. I miss those days when an album/band had that much impact on society!

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: August 19, 2005 17:50

I'd listen to Shattered 1 million times before Lets Spend the night together..with bernard and lisa doing bad vegas back ups on it...

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 19, 2005 18:12

Go listen to Gorgeous Girls Redux and report back.

Posted by: glastuk ()
Date: August 19, 2005 18:23

My son is 13 years old and has (because of his old man) been listening to Stones music all his life. His favorite song....Shattered. Also one of my faves...definitely in my top 5.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 19, 2005 18:59

glastuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son is 13 years old and has (because of his old
> man) been listening to Stones music all his life.
> His favorite song....Shattered. Also one of my
> faves...definitely in my top 5.

Your 13 year old son is StonesDoug? Wow. He looks much older than that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-19 18:59 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 19, 2005 19:07

The way the backing vocals are sung by Bernard and Lisa kills the song nowadays for me. They don't even sing it right and it sounds ridiculous. From 78-82 I liked how they played. Also at Gillette during the Licks tour they played this on the b-stage and they seemed to screw up constantly but the sound was also bad or sort of off so maybe that had something to do with it too.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 19, 2005 19:11

My fondest memory of ahh shadoobee was the opener in 89,,probly shortest 1 ever,cause during the song the power went out ,jagger trew the mike down & he looked pissed,,,power outage was due 2 lack of dry ice to cool down the equipment,,its on 1 of the A.C. boots

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 19, 2005 19:15

ShatterednVA and Chelsea Drugstore,

Thanks for sharing these incredible stories. I like them!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:18

love studio version hate live version.........

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:45

The version of Hampton, December 18, 1981 just about sums up everything I love about the Stones. It's raw, it's got energy, it's loud, bold and punchy. Jagger acts as the angry master of it all. This is TRUE weaving of the guitars, with Wood and Richards truly bouncing of eachother. If you don't like this kind of Stones, I understand why you would like Goddess in the Doorway of Streets of Love.

Mathijs

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:48

I remember SG was the album we rocked to
here while we were trucking back and forth
between Toronto and Montreal in summer 1978
too. Shattered perfectly captured the spirit
of the times.

The tight edit on Sucking in the Seventies
really works for me. I'd like to see a gritty
stripped down version of it played live too.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 19, 2005 22:49

Heee Mathijs welcome back, I agree with you, the `78, and also `81/82 version of this song rocks.
Nowadays it seems that they play it slower, but i still like the song.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 20, 2005 01:32

glastuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son is 13 years old and has (because of his old
> man) been listening to Stones music all his life.
> His favorite song....Shattered. Also one of my
> faves...definitely in my top 5.

Hi, glastuk

The reason your thirteen year old likes it ,is because it was written for Alvin and the Chipmunks. Im sorry the song reeks.

Please never play it live again.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 20, 2005 06:21

Rumor has it they will not do it again on tour. That's why I used it as a Name.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home