Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

it was 10 years ago today
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 9, 2005 18:27

I'm listening to the last GD show now and plan on listening to nothing but Jerry and the GD all day. 10 years sure flew by fast....

Re: it was 10 years ago today
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 9, 2005 19:11

Good to see another Dead/Jerry fan on the board. Yes the time has gone by fast. You know Jerry is one person who would still be playing live today if he were still around. Being a Dead fan I always wished the Stones would take some notes from them when it came to their fans and live shows. I'll have to play some Dead tonight since you brought this date to my attention..

Date: August 9, 2005 19:37

I am still mad at myself for not really getting "into" the Dead until about 1991...despite constant urgings from some my best music friends for 15 years. I only saw 3 shows, once in each of the last three years. I think they are/were a band that truly requires patience and time to really understand. But the rewards for doing so are tremendous. I have hundreds of their recordings now and listen to them very often.

There's no point in comparisons with a band like the Stones - the come at your from a completely different angle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-09 20:48 by T&A.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 9, 2005 20:44

I have been streaming great GD moments from archive.org all morning! Rest well, Jerome!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-09 22:13 by Ross.

Date: August 9, 2005 21:02

My Dead bootleg collection is only second to what I have from the Stones. It is incredible how you can find just about all their shows in perfect soundboard recording. Also have some great solo Jerry stuff with Stephen Stills and others that take on a completely different sound. Won't bother to go and see the new version of the band, The Dead. To me it can just never be the same without Jerry Garcia.

Date: August 9, 2005 21:17

I've seen the new "Dead" a couple of times (once on stage - my daughter is tight with Phil). You sort of have to go without thinking about comparisons with the GD. I realize that is hard. Having said that - it's quite possible the days of the Dead are no more - they didn't tour this summer and there's inside word of renewed strife amongst the surviving members.

Date: August 9, 2005 22:31

A few of my friends have gone and seen the new version of the band and they always say good things but for some reason I just have no desire to see them, same goes for Ratdog or Phil & Friends. I have the same problem with the Allman Bros. today, ever since Dicky Betts left them. I guess its like Mick or Keith touring solo and calling it the Stones. However I have also heard the Allmans still put on a good show.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 9, 2005 22:39

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Friends. I have the same problem with the Allman
> Bros. today, ever since Dicky Betts left them. I
> guess its like Mick or Keith touring solo and
> calling it the Stones. However I have also heard
> the Allmans still put on a good show.

Catch the latest version of The Allman Brothers if you get the chance! You will be probably be pleasantly surprised!

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks got the mojo! This is the best version of the band since Duane prowled the stage. (IMO)

Their latest live album (One Way Out) aint too shabby either!

Ross

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 9, 2005 22:48

I don't care much for "jam" bands, but the Allmans are quite good with their current lineup. Derek Trucks has got to be the best slide player I've ever heard. I think even Open G would agree with me!

I never had much interest in the Dead either, but you're absolutely right Hound Dog about their live shows and how they treated their fans. Would love to see the Stones have something like a Dick's Picks series.

Karl

Date: August 9, 2005 23:20

There was a cool story in I think the NY Times recently about Derek Trucks and it had a picture of him at his house and he was sitting in front of a cool early 70's Stones picture. In the story he mentioned how he can't believe he is in a band he grew up admiring so much. The Allmans back in the day were so good, just listen to Fillmore East or Ludlowe Garage albums, Duane Allman's guitar practically talks to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-10 01:27 by Hound Dog.

Date: August 10, 2005 00:05

HD - do yourself a favor and check out the new ABB. Trucks is indeed the best slide player I've ever heard (that includes MT). Since he joined the band I can honestly say for the first time that I don't miss Duane - he's that good. He's so good that the incredibly talented Warren Haynes practically sounds like a hack by comparison. Trucks makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck all night.

I miss Dicky, too - but his chops (and voice) have fallen dramatically in recent years. Meanwhile, so long as Gregg anchors the band, and the original drummers remain -it's still the ABB to me.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: August 10, 2005 04:41

It's a real shame that Jerry is no longer in our realm. He was a true pioneer for American music. As a big fan of the Grateful Dead, I want to say that the thing about them I love the most is that their music is available to anybody at anytime.
This is what makes them so unique. By having their entire live catalog available, one can experience every mood and phase the band went through. It's a great gift given by the band to their fans. It wasn't always pretty but there aren't a lot of bands that would play over 120 shows a year. Unfortunately that may have helped lead to Jerry's demise. Along with the drugs and whatever else was going on. But when they were on, they were untouchable.
RIP, Jerry...

Date: August 10, 2005 16:09

Also its worth mentioning that the scene at their shows were like no other. The parking lot is usually an experience in itself. Anyone who has been to a Dead show knows exactly what I am talking about.

Date: August 10, 2005 17:56

Hound Dog:

Exactly! I was absolutely amazed at the scene surrounding my first GD gig - 8/22/93 at Autzen Stadium, Eugene. My friend who accompanied me there and who had been to several dozen GD shows over the years commented to me a line I'll never forget:

"throw in a few camels and you've got the Middle Ages."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home