Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Comparing ticket prices US with Europe
Posted by: HappyRambler ()
Date: August 5, 2005 08:51

I'm curious.
I've never been to an american concert of the Stones because I don't fly.
But on this board a lot of times I read messages where people mention ticketprices between $ 300 and $ 500 to get a good seat in a row near the stage in America.
When someone gets lucky, he can buy a ticket for $ 99, i've seen.
Are these normal prices in America ?
If so, what am I complaining about ticket prices in Europe then ?
2 years ago the average ticketprice for standing on the field in Europe was between $ 80 and $ 100.
And with those tickets you where able to get as close to the stage as you wanted, when you sat outside the venue early in the morning, and ran like hell.
In front of the stage there's always a closed area, where only the first people in are standing ( like me ofcourse ), seperated from the rest of the field behind you.
You get a wristband to be able to walk in and out of that area to go to the toilet, or to get some drinks or food.
People next to you will keep your spot.
Some concerts had so called "FOS-Tickets", so you didn't had to run, and still be in the closed area.
These tickets were about the same price as the normal standing tickets.
I expect that next year the prices in Europe for standing will be somewhere between $ 90 and $ 110.
Is there really so much difference in prices between the US and Europe ?

And something I always wanted to know is why you must sit down at a concert in America.
I prefer standing, what about you ?

Re: Comparing ticket prices US with Europe
Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 5, 2005 09:00

As this wil be my first trip to the States I can only tell you from the experience how to buy tickets. It's much more stressful than in Europe (except perhpas for U2 this year). Yes I have tickets Row 9 for 99 USD and I have tickets one the side for 350 USD. Hollywood Bowl tickets for instance I did not have a single chance even with the presale code to get the most expensive tickets. The way ticketmaster realeases tickets is totally different to what we expect in Europe. As the demand is quite high they seem to release the lsome ess expensive seats first, then medium and high priced then again low. Very strange the whole thing. In England and Paris Bercy prices in the same range as the States.
But as you realize it is a trip to be financed, but I wanted to do it at least once and this might be the last chance.

For Europe next year I assume they have prices between 50 Euro (Southern countries )to 100-170 Euro (depending on arena type shows) for middle Europe and less again like 120 Euro for Northern indoor arena. People are not willing to pay more anyway. England will be by far much more expensive as they have been the last time.

Date: August 5, 2005 10:45

Thanks RF !
Are there any American people who can tell me more about this subject ?

By the way, in my first topic, I mean € instead of $.

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: August 5, 2005 16:08

Yes, Rambler, $300 to $500 are 'normal' prices in America for the upcoming tour. They've increased 25 to 50 percent per ticket since the Licks Tour.
In 2002, the cheapest tickets were $52.50. For this tour the cheapest are $100.
The most expensive tickets in 2002 cost $302.50. For this tour the most expensive cost either $400 or $450, depending on the venue.

It's not true that you 'must' sit down at concerts in America. At some shows, depending on the band, people might choose to remain seated, but that's pretty much because the vibe of the show is more casual and relaxed. But virtually everybody stands at pure rock n roll shows, and that's especially true for the Stones.
Frankly, there are actually some shows at which I prefer to stay seated. Some music just sounds better when you're sitting down. After all, when you listen to music in your home, you don't get out of your chair and stand in one place until the record is over, do you?

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: August 5, 2005 16:50

In the U.S. most venues require floor seating for most acts. The reason(s) stem from several incidents of people being trampled at concerts (the Who in 1979 in Cincinnati) and others as well.

This is not the case everywhere, but has become an accepted practice from venues.

As far as price goes, it is outrageous, yet we pay it anyway. I will say it has been easy to get a very expensive (say $350-$450) ticket. The $99 ones go fast and are usually the best because they are the closest. Some of them they sell as "limited view" because you're so close and the stage is above you may have difficulty seeing the enitre depth of the stage, like Charlie (maybe just his head). I saw them in Pittsburgh on the Licks Tour in the second row for $99 and had no problem seeing anything. There were floor seats, but everybody stands on the floor anyway.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 5, 2005 17:19

HappyRambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there really so much difference in prices
> between the US and Europe ?
>

Hi Rambler,

Remember that the Euro is about 75 cents to the US dollar right now, so you're getting a good deal on US tickets from that perspective. Also, the ticket broker business has, in my opinion, driven-up prices in America. I think that as we get closer to the actual show dates, bargains will be available for the high-price (300-450 USD) tickets.

Karl

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 5, 2005 17:27

I've had various arguements with people on this board about this in the past. I think that in Europe, people are less willing to accept higher prices because the crowd tends to be much younger. Older people (especially corporate ticket buyers) tend to want to stay seated and have more disposable cash to spend on getting to the best seats. THIS IS A GENERALISATION AND NOT TRUE FOR EVERYONE. I'm sure that there are plenty of grey-haired people on this board who party with the best of them.

I also think that European audiences must be generally better behaved and more pleasant than American ones. This isn't based on my experience, but is based on tales of people who have had gangs of bikers bashing them all over the shop in standing venues - I'm sure Debra can expand on this. (Just compare the hell's angels at Hyde Park 69 to those at Altamont).

I do think, however, that the UK is going more the way of the US with shows being seated and populated by corporate seats. It is a shame that the Stones need to look down on the first 20 rows and these people don't even know the songs that aren't on 40 Licks, but I guess they take the money so can't complain. I noticed a distinctly different atmosphere between the Wembley gigs of 95 and 99 and the seated Twicks gig - much less of a party atmosphere which was a shame.

I really hope that the UK shows (esp Wembley) are back to standing on the pitch and seated in the stalls, but I don't hold out too much hope. The attraction of money is too great for the stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-05 17:28 by sjs12.

Date: August 5, 2005 20:39

rockdoc8885 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The $99 ones go fast and are usually the best because they
> are the closest. Some of them they sell as
> "limited view" because you're so close and the
> stage is above you may have difficulty seeing the
> enitre depth of the stage, like Charlie (maybe
> just his head).

Is this anyone his opinion too, or just from the management ?
In my opinion the thrill of the concert is the most when i'm all the way there up front.
I want to see the laces in the shoes of the guys.

Posted by: herb ()
Date: August 5, 2005 23:40

Cheap seats at SF show are $64, don't know what the highest official price is, but mine in the low stands off first base were I think $142. I'm never going to spend $300 for a ticket, not even for the Stones (maybe if I could afford it I would), but there are definiteley tickets for under 100 bucks. Of course, those are pretty high up and away -- four of my gang are sitting directly behind home plate, up near the top. But they'll be able to see the entire spectacle -- including the SF Bay Bridge beyond left field, which they can enjoy while Keith is doing his pair of songs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home