Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: U2 opening night Chicago
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: September 17, 2009 17:56

I was fortunate to be at the Fenway Park opener for the ABB Tour. They played 4 new songs from the lp. I thought it was great, but most of the people going to the shows want the classic hits. Me I love hearing the new stuff but sadly I'm in the minority. For some reason when the Stones put out a new album, there is not much fanfare behind it. "Hard core" fans dismiss anything new saying they haven't had a good record since exile. I think by the end of the tour they were only doing Rough Justice.

Yet when other older bands come out with a new record, it's received like the second coming. Not sure why the Stones don't get the respect they deserve, and why people don't give the new stuff a chance.

IMHO, the material from Steel Wheels to A Bigger Bang is so underated. I think when the band is finally done, history will show that these LPs were in fact very good.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 17, 2009 18:05

and the BEST was hearing "Back of My Hand." Bootleg of it is terrific. They always do that = start with new songs then drop them. Like the way they dropped Love Is Strong for Sympathy during VL tour. Just stupid.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 17, 2009 18:18

mickscarey
and the BEST was hearing "Back of My Hand." Bootleg of it is terrific. They always do that = start with new songs then drop them. Like the way they dropped Love Is Strong for Sympathy during VL tour. Just stupid.

Well, On the VL tour Mick's getup was great. Placement of Tophat and harmonica in midstride of a concert really was enjoyable. And Love is Strong is a damn good song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 17, 2009 18:45

saturn57
I was fortunate to be at the Fenway Park opener for the ABB Tour. They played 4 new songs from the lp. I thought it was great, but most of the people going to the shows want the classic hits. Me I love hearing the new stuff but sadly I'm in the minority. For some reason when the Stones put out a new album, there is not much fanfare behind it. "Hard core" fans dismiss anything new saying they haven't had a good record since exile. I think by the end of the tour they were only doing Rough Justice.

Album hadnt even been released at that point, too.

I dont know, saturn - ABB got a lot of 'fanfare' and the best reviews of any Stones album in decades. There really was no excuse for their so-called fans being unaware of it after it's release.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 17, 2009 19:33

I believe the difference is the relative success of the new records. My first Stones' show was in 78 - Some Girls Tour. Miss You was a huge radio hit and went over very well. In 81 the new Start Me Up was better received than Brown Sugar. The Stones have not enjoyed a successful single since the STeel Wheels album.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 17, 2009 19:38

saturn57
IMHO, the material from Steel Wheels to A Bigger Bang is so underated. I think when the band is finally done, history will show that these LPs were in fact very good.

i think they will barely register a footnote in the stones' history....

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 17, 2009 19:45

Hat's off to U2 for not playing the same old crap all the time and having faith in their current materail.

Posted by: gavinsmoney1 ()
Date: September 17, 2009 21:20

As the Stones had their glory days, They have been behind them since start me up comon, They tour for the dough and glory not to support their below average recordings the last 20 years, I still love them but lets face it times have changed and we have itunes and rhapsody and stealing music for free, So any arguement to compare is absurd. We have hip-hop, rap and country rock now so its a tough arguement and radio stations change formats every few years.

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:31

Greg Kot (Chicago Tribune) and Jim DeRogatis (Chicago Sun Times) are both excellent music critics. Sure, they've slagged on the Stones a few hundred times, but that doesn't mean they don't kick ass at their jobs. They just have different opinions than some people. (including myself)

These guys know their stuff. Check out their radio show, Sound Opinions, on NPR sometime. It's pretty frickin cool.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:16

What single from Steel Wheels did so well Gazza? Mixed Emotions? That was their last Top Ten single in the States that I am aware of (from what I've seen anyway). Got as high as Harlem Shuffle - #5.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home