Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Solo Ronnie Wood
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 28, 2005 22:14

Just picked up the rest of the Ronnie Wood solo cds I didn't have and wanted to make a few comments. Never heard Gimme Some Neck before and it is great, just started getting Ronnie's solo stuff a year or two ago. I love his version of Seven Days, such a cool sounding guitar in that song.

Also on the Live and Electric cd, I love his version of Feel On Baby, this is how the Stones should have recorded it. That song just jams but the Stones version of it is sort of ruined by poor 80's production. Be cool if the Stones did this song live in a similar way. I also like his solo version of Black Limousine with Ronnie playing both lead and rhythm guitar. However you can tell Ronnie's voice is just shot, its obvious why he doesn't do backing vocals for the Stones anymore. Its sounds like it hurts when he sings.

And the last thing, on Ronnie's dvd Far East Man, I was surprised to see Ronnie not give himself a writing credit on Hey Negrita, it just says Jagger/Richards.

All in all, Ronnie solo stuff rocks. He is a great song writer and could have contributed many songs to the Stones. Imagine Breath on Me as a Stones live song with Keith and Ronnie sharing the vocals.

Re: Solo Ronnie Wood
Date: July 28, 2005 22:15

Sorry about the double post. I tried to change the title of my post and the computer crapped out.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 28, 2005 22:41

Am I the only one who likes "Not for beginners" I know its a home made record, but I really love it smiling smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 28, 2005 22:54

I like Beginners - but I seem to be the only one who regards 1234 as his best.

Date: July 28, 2005 23:14

I looked everywhere for 1234. Its not on Amazon and they have everything. I also like Not For Beginners. A few songs I don't really like but as a whole I think its a good album.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 28, 2005 23:40

While I love all of Ronnie's solo stuff, I have never been able to get into 1234. The songs don't get off the ground for me. But Beginners I really love. That album is inspired to me. Neck is even by Ronnie's words himself a victim of overproduction. Ronnie was at the height of his personal seuccess back then. The barbarians toured on that album and Ron and Keith actually did sing Breathe on me together on that tour.
The first two albums are incredible.
But did Ronnie do Feel on baby on Live and eclectic? I can not remember. I thought it was pretty beat up from UC.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 28, 2005 23:41

I think Not For Beginners is a haunted, powerful album with no commercial aspirations. Lots of layered guitars & emotion, songs that stayed w/ me after 1 or 2 plays - unlike the drunken shambles that is the Far East Man dvd (tho that has some likeable moments). I also like his album w/ Ronnie Lane, "Mahoney's Last Stand" tho the cd in print (minus original cover) is a thin transfer - a soundtrack, so lots of instrumentals, but also a song that ranks with the best Faces: "Just For A Moment." And Now Look is easily as good as the debut, maybe his best, thanks Bobby Womack! Plus great Keith & Mick T guest shots, fine soulful performances. 1234 has a few good songs, and I shoulnt say much because I havent played it in a long time, but the heavy coked out/LA vibe put me off, as did the vocals
Re Hey Negrita, he cant take credit if he doesnt have any copyrite claim. Maybe he could write "Inspiration by Ron Wood" after the J/R credit, but he knows we know....

Date: July 28, 2005 23:53

ChelseaDrugstore, sorry my fault I meant Pretty Beat Up. Also john r, on the Ronnie dvd he has for Black Limousine as Jagger/Richards/Wood so I thought he'd do the same for Hey Negrita. I could have sworn it said that on Black and Blue but I could be wrong.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2005 00:02

Hound Dog, i finally found 1234 on ebay, after months of searching for it.
you have to be patient, though - it doesn't seem to come up very often.
i still love Ronnie's first the best - but they're all mighty fine.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: July 29, 2005 00:06

Like IORR, HN was "J/R, Inspiration by RW" I did a post on Ron's pre Jeff Beck Group combo The Birds awhile back, and they are ferocious - check Bruce Eder's review (of the Birds' Deram label comp) at the online version of All Music Guide. It has all Decca & Reaction singles, & unreleased songs (like a "Run Run Run" that beats the Who's) The fact RW played such incendiary guitar at age 17 - 19 (& wrote the original songs) is astonishing.
"Not For Beginners" seems to be an album some of us love & others just cant get into. He revisits the Birds' "Leaving Here" on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 00:10 by john r.

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: July 29, 2005 00:20

I have worn out several copies of Gimme Some Neck. A top ten album for me by anybody, not just Stones. This is a good record to be listening to before the new tour, since they are going to have the guitars turned way up this time. Some Girls/Gimme Some Neck/Emotional Rescue are my three favorite guitar records, turned up loud, garage band sound.
Give that one several spins!
Kevin

Date: July 29, 2005 00:53

1234 is OOP - you have to look pretty hard for used copies/imports. But, it's well worth seeking out. Outlaws remains one of the great Stonesy songs on any of the solo albums. A good version exists on the Ronnie/Bo Diddley live album, too. I think it would surprise people who dismissed it back in '81 (released the same day as Tattoo You if memory serves). It has stood the test of time better than Gimme Some Neck (which I like alot too). Not a weak track on the album, IMO and Ronnie's guitar work has rarely been this solid.

Date: July 30, 2005 00:50

T&A and soul, looks like I'll have to hunt it down. Another thing that is next is the Carla Olson with Mick Taylor show, I have a bunch of songs from it on other boots but would still like to have it. Same goes for the Ronnie with Bo Didley cd.

Date: July 30, 2005 02:32

Hound Dog - also get the Olson/Taylor studio album from a couple of years back - there's an 11-minute version of Winter that will take your breath away...and Taylor is on almost all of the tunes....

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 30, 2005 02:46

"Gimme Some Neck", despite the too-slick production, is practically a Stones album (only Bill Wyman is missing).

I also like "Slide On...Live (Plugged in and Standing". Bernard Fowler does a great job at sharing lead vocals w/ Ron, and this is a great in-your-face live record.

I also still have the LP of 1974's "I've Got My own Album to Do", which confirms the respect Ronnie has with other musicians--special guests are all over it--how many times can you get Rod Stewart & Mick Jagger to be on the same album, hmmm?

Great thread, guys...thank you!

PS I suppose I'm in the distinct minority by stating that Ronnie is my favorite Stone, but he's the one I'd most like to have dinner with. Think of the stories he could tell--plus his notable sense of humor--he just seems to be the most accessible, a regular bloke who gets along with everybody. How could anyone not like him, or identify with him, even through his bad times?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-30 02:57 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 30, 2005 03:20

I loved Gimme some neck

Does anyone rememeber the New Barbarians Tour

Thanks

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2005 03:56

Gimme Some Neck is my favourite Woody album, like jagbo I just love the guitar sound from that Some Girls/Emotional rescue era..and GSN as bassplayer says is almost a Stones album!

Great version of "Seven days" (what a cool song for Bob to give away) and that intro to "we all get old" (an underrated song) is simply majestic

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2005 04:58

We All Get Old is my fave on that album - my only complaint with GSN is the production - that guy from Queen did what he could to wreck it, IMO. I still say 1234 is the sleeper...

Date: July 30, 2005 11:45

>> Does anyone remember the New Barbarians Tour <<

LoFL: can anyone FORGET the New Barbarians tour?!
i didn't get to witness the Barbarians in action - i have a chronic case of being in the wrong place - but their tour is still unforgettable.

- 1979, by Henry Diltz

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2005 11:57

withsssssoul...I too have tried in vain to find info of origins of Africa or How Do You Do but no luck. I have it on Barb Wire Tour Vol2 - Empress Valley set but ... will keep trying. Have a couple of other tricks...

Walk to your letter box in a week.

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2005 12:01

thank you kindly, Rockman!
it's weird, isn't it, that no one seems to have any background on that number.
i have it on that same set - the Lake Geneva rehearsals, i guess it was?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: kait ()
Date: July 30, 2005 13:08

i think ronnie was on top in 1992/93 when he released slide on this & slide on live. I like this great live-version of breathe on me with bernard; also seven days from the dylan-anniversary. have a lot of solo-stuff which i hear from time to time, but i always prefer those 92/93 stuff.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:27

Not For Beginners is a much better album than people give it credit for! I love it's overall mellow vibe. Some very intresting songwriting imo. + Ronnie sings some of his best songs here.

Date: July 30, 2005 19:01

Great late night album - my understanding is he was working on it just before he went into rehab (again) & it is emotionally raw. Plus there is a bittersweet quality, & anger (rare on a RW album) as well as vulnerability.Interesting to compare Birds' clasic 'Leaving Here' with this version.

Posted by: Beaver ()
Date: August 1, 2005 00:28

Got 1234 on both LP and CD and I really love it. 1234, Outlaws, Priceless are great. Never seems to grasp Not for beginners. Slide on this and Slide on Live are also great. Favorite is NB's Buried Alive. Recorded Capitol Center Arena in Largo, Maryland, May 5, 1979! They're all drunk! "...and Ron Wood if i could!"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 1, 2005 01:21

the partial MSG sbd is also pretty damned good...might be a better performance; sound quality almost as good as Largo...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home