Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: U2 in oslo tonight
Posted by: Heartbraker ()
Date: July 28, 2005 03:04

I have to say I´m dissapointed.I went there with high expectations to see one of the greatest in action for the very first time, but it couldn´t even compare with any stones-concert I´ve attended. My girlfriend who is a big admirer of the band (as I am, was?), was also very dissapointed."I´m left back with no impression from this", she said.For me this says it all. She´s groving into loving the Stones even more than she already does and can´t wait for us hitting another european tour with them.
Anyway, -Bono sang awful at times, is he starting to loose his voice?
-The Edge carried the band thru (and thru)
-Clayton and Larry did their job, nothing more.

Anyway, they call it the greatest band in the world, well they are not.
They have a lot of great tunes that are easy to like, but the best? NOPE!
By the way, the stage effects were really good.

For me the Stones rock them off even at 60 and for sure they´ll do it at the bigger bang tour..

I can´t wait!

Re: OT: U2 in oslo tonight
Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: July 28, 2005 04:41

That sucks! A good friend of mine was going to try to see the show there last night and I was telling him how great the last 2 Boston shows were. I was hoping he would get to see a great show also. So sorry to hear that! I know Bono is going to have off nights at times but that is sad news for Oslo!
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 28, 2005 11:07

I agree. It was better than the Zooropa and Popmart shows at "Valle Hovin" - Oslo, but not near "Kalvøya" back in 1983. I think this turn out to be a political show. - But the sound was good.
(I must say that I'm not a die-hard U2 fan and I need the "warhorses" from them.)
You can't compare them with the Stones - You can't even compare them with a Stones live-album!!
But remember: Valle Hovin is one of the worst stadiums in europe, maybe the worst!

Per-Arne

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 28, 2005 13:32

Valle is The Worst... Wonder if Keith will do The worst this time around...? Actually, I wasn't all that happy wit the U2-show last night in Oslo. But I seem to be the only one who's not going bananas over them. I think they have a great importance (BONO has) for spreading a political awareness (we have to share our wealth with the 3rd world). However, U2's importance musically is, in my opinion, not as impressive as their political importance. So, BONO's done a fine job making world leaders reduce the developing countries debts, but it's stll a fact that Johnny Cash did a much better version of "ONE"...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 28, 2005 13:40

shidoobee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
but it's stll a fact that Johnny Cash did a
> much better version of "ONE"...

You have got to be kidding me!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 28, 2005 16:35

A friend of mine who is a huge U2 fan recently saw his favourite band live. After the concert he told me: "I have to admit it once again, U2 are simply good, but they are not the Stones." When i mentioned what some fans of the Stones are remarking, that Edge plays much more than Keith and Ronnie, he answered: "Yes, Edge plays without breaks, but he basicaly plays in a monotonous, flat way. He has a kind of personal guitar sound, but i am not dying for it, even he carries the band now. I think the Stones is by far the best live act".
My friend had seen the Stones twice, in 1998 and 2003.

I appreciate U2, even i think their last great album was "Achtung Baby", in 1991. But live, in fact, they are nothing special (i saw them twice in 1997 and and need not to go at another U2 concert).

But now, who cares? The tour of the greatest rock band in the world starts, the new album is coming. "You have the air, the sun, the moon and the Rolling Stones!" In fact...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 28, 2005 17:57

I went to the U2 show in Oslo last night. Like I have seen U2 every time they have visited here before, I think. I am not a big fan of U2 but I play their music and some of their records are excellent. The show 20+ years ago at Kalvøya (Isle of Calf) outide Oslo was my favorite. Red revolutionary flags waving and Blood Red Sky and all of that. You felt you were part of it all. Popmart was a disappointment for me. Last night was strange. They have a hugh production with lots of lights. It did not get any dark until late in the show, so they had to rely on the music. For me it was ok, nothing more. I hear from the younger generation in my family they were really excited. They got 6 out of 6 score in both tabloid papers here.

I know what U2 is all about. I am a fan of equal rights and stopping slavery and ending poverty and all of that. But I just want to have a rock show. I am so happy I will see a real rock show in a few weeks time. And I though I would never follow U2 on tour, because it was not that exciting. Good. Nothing more.

PS. Funny report in one of the papers yesterday. The head stage rigger in Norway was asked if he liked U2. He said U2 played just soft music. He was a fan of real hard rock like AC/DC etc. He looked kind of ZZ Top. So I have to agree. Give me AC/DC. Or the Stones. I want to rock.

Bjornulf

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:46

Yeah! Give them The Nobel Peace Prize, and hand over the Grammies to the Stones.
It's True that heEdge (and a lot of other guitarists) play "all the time". But Keith's greatness lies not only in what he plays, but also that hen knows when NOT to play. Mick Jagger was quoted saying exactly this a few years ago, and I totally agree.
So, while U" will be remembered in a houndred years time for Bono's importance for eliminating poverty and reducing the Third World's debts, the Stones will be remembered for their magnificent contributions to modern music, the unique sound, the marvellous blend of blues, rock, soul, pop, roll, country etc. Or, should we say TRIBAL music - music that appeals to both brain, heart and groin... And I'm so looking forward to going on tour with them again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home