Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bernard Fowler with Robert Plant?
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 20, 2005 04:49

Bernard will backup Plant's show on July 21 and 23 in West Coast. Then he'll move to Toronto.
Is this an authentic information?

Re: Bernard Fowler with Robert Plant?
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 20, 2005 19:17

Back up Plant ????
Do you mean he'll perform as an opening act ?

I don't believe Robert needs a back up singer on tour. He did extremely well with Strange Sensation in Europe last month.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 20, 2005 19:25

i'm really looking forward to seeing Plant thisDecember in Wolverhampton

however, the last thing i want for him (or the Stones) are any poxy backing singers. and that includes Bernard!

time to banish this unnecessary nonsense if you ask me

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 20, 2005 19:55

I think Bernard is here to stay. I first heard him as part of Material, Bill Laswell's classic group, & the NYC Peech Boys (mid 80s), & Herbie Handcock's albums of the period. He joined the former Sugarhill house band (Doug Wimbish, Skip McDonald, Keith Leblanc) & Adrian Sherwood in Tackhead for 2 superb avant-garde-ish hip-hop/cut up/funk albums under the name Tackhead "Friendly as a Hand Grenade" & "Strange Things" the latter features Mick Jagger on a Little Walter cover. Bernard has acquitted himself very well on live shows & albums by Charlie, Ron, Keith, & Mick, as well as 2 superb cds by Nicklebag "12 Hits & a Bump" (1996, w/ Ron on Zep's 'Hots On For Nowhere'as well as cover art) - great soulful hard rock/funk, & 1997's "Mas Feedback".

Posted by: eric ()
Date: July 20, 2005 20:03

Andy Jr... you will totally enjoy Robert on his current tour. Not only does he have and HONEST new record out. His voice is incredible on this tour. Now if you listen to all the nay sayers on this board they will tell you how they saw him and his voice stunk... well guess what... so does Mick's 25% of the time. However, he is never using his vocals like what Robert does with his.... much more VOICE with Robert.If the Stones new record is half as much of a TRUE attempt at creating something really good as Roberts is... well then it will be a great hit for them. I am hoping it is. Robert is the best act touring right now with his band and the shows are all about music and vibe and the reviews are just great for him here in the U.S. He will be home soon... ENJOY! I think the Stones call look at Robert Plant right now and learn something about reinventing themselves and just be a parody of what they used to be. We will see.... I hope they can do it, because actually another same old same old Stones tour "bores the sunlight out of me"

Date: July 20, 2005 20:03

miss quote at the end but you get the idea!

Date: July 20, 2005 20:08

I ment NOT be a parody of what they used to be

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 21, 2005 06:17

eric wrote

"I think the Stones call look at Robert Plant right now and learn something about reinventing themselves and just be a parody of what they used to be"

The same boring, insipid conversation about "parody"...

Plant has nothing to teach to the Stones. The Stones are much better than him. Plant is an average small live act. Stones is a great huge live act and i'm happy for that "parody"! I saw Robert in concert a few years ago. Almost disappointing...

Date: July 21, 2005 10:52

to be fair. the man (Eric) has a point

Plant's new album is verging on excellent. no crappy 'made for airplay' songs, he does what he feels likes (maybe like Neil Young) and hence his true creative juices are still alive

for anyone interested :

ROBERT PLANT/STRANGE SENSATION UK TOUR DATES 2005

THURSDAY OCTOBER 27 EDINBURGH CORN EXCHANGE
SATURDAY OCTOBER 29 GLASGOW BARROWLAND
SUNDAY OCTOBER 30 WOMEX EVENT GATESHEAD THE SAGE
SUNDAY DECEMBER 4 LONDON HAMMERSMITH PALAIS
FRIDAY DECEMBER 9 OLYMPIA DUBLIN
MONDAY DECEMBER 12 WOLVERHAMPTON CIVIC HALL

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 21, 2005 17:18

andy is wrote "To be fair. the man (Eric) has a point.Plant's new album is verging on excellent"

Yes, his new album is very good, but the "conversation" about eric and me was about live performances, wasn't it?

Date: July 21, 2005 17:42

dunno

don't care

they Stones obviously play bigger 'showman' type gigs

but musically they're no better a live band than Plant

you can't knock him for wanting to keep it about the music rather than the razzamatazz

Date: July 21, 2005 17:43

Sickydion- I am not talking about SIZE but QUALITY. I am not dissing the Stones... they are my 2nd fav band. 41 shows and counting. I love them to death. But Plant has at 56 demonstrated that he doesnt need to be a parody of himself or his "OTHER" band to be an musical artist and one who is not just after the money. I mean really think about it if the remaining members of Zep got together and did a reunion tour.. nothing ( except for Pink Floyd... maybe ) could touch the $$$$ it would bring. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about his new music VS what the new stuff from the Stones will be. I am not lookin for another EXILE nor do I think that would be good. I am looking for something from the Stones that keep them INTERESTING and FRESH and at 61 plus I hope they still can create something that isnt a PARODY of themselves. Lets face it ticket sales are good but not what B2B tour was or Voodoo Lounge was and the demand isnt there either. Its a same.... I love the old warhorses but you have to admit that hearing those songs done the same way show after show tour after tour gets quite mundane (spelling?). I am looking for Mick and Keith to blow me away NOT just collect the cash. As far as Robert being a small act, thats HIS choice he doesnt have to be that. He could fill arena's just by tour as "ROBERT PLANT PERFORMS ZEPPELIN TOUR". However, how special where the STONES club dates.....imagine a whole tour of that. Stripped down, reworked songs.. along with a GREAT new record. Think about which would you choose if you had your way?

Date: July 21, 2005 17:54

Plus- I have seen many "Disappointing" Stones shows... but when they are on.. they are great... same with Plant. THis tour... his is tearing it up. The Zep songs sound nothing like the originals... just enough so you know the song but the feel and the arrangements are not for the ZEP faithful... but they are still very strong in a different context... extremely interesting. I mean NO QUARTER is just the band coming out ( first song )under red lights and Robert is the last to come on stage and they all have hand drums beating a sexy strong beat and then when Robert comes out with his hand drum he walks up to the mic and then they all hit the same beat and stop, lights goes out and Robert leans into the mic and sings "CLOSE THE DOOR, PUT OUT THE LIGHT... YOU KNOW THEY WONT BE HOME TONIGHT THE SNOW FALLS HARD AND DONT YOU KNOW, THE WINDS OF THOR ARE BLOWING COLD (EHOES OF COLD.. COLD COLD. ). Then they all start beating the drums again to this funky freaky beat... ITS AWSOME!!!!! That's what I am talking about... takin something old and making it new all over again.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 21, 2005 19:57

I think the last 2 Plant albums (plus the comp) kick ass but it took me awhile to get interested again, due to less impressive projects like Honeydrippers, Manic Nirvana, Walking Into Clarksdale. But right now he really is on a roll.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home