Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Could we drop all the Ron criticism?
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: July 16, 2005 22:40

I can't believe I'm spending time making this post (because I am an infrequent poster, but very frequent reader), but can we get off Ron??

I know everyone is tired of the comparative threads (MT vs RW). Can't we just enjoy the man and his accomplishments (both with and without the Stones)??

I think Ron Wood's pedigree is second to none in the music business and certainly his abilities speak for themselves. I also feel there have been moments in time (just like MT) where Ron has given the Stones some fantastic synergies. Let's hope for the best regarding his health (and his habits) and be supportive of a man who stood by the Boys through thick and thin!! A real rock that Ronnie is!

If you want to continue exploring ways on bashing one of the premier guitarmen in music history then go find a support group and please stop polluting BV's wonderful, virtual cafe meeting place for fans of the Greatest Rock n'Roll Band in the World. Thanks for all you do BV and I'll see you in Detroit - 11th row!

Re: Could we drop all the Ron criticism?
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 16, 2005 23:09

I suppose fans of the Stones want the Stones to play to the best of their abilities and try and think of ways they could improve. I think the criticism levelled at Ron is justified but it is true to say he's often made the scapegoat and it's not Ron solely to blame for the drop in standards.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 16, 2005 23:43

I also suppose that Stones fans are not going to let Keith OR RON rest on past laurels because we do deserve better. No fan paying top dollar, or for that matter paying $99, should see a suckie Stones show because they can't be professionals for 2 hours and deliver what we xpect!

Date: July 17, 2005 00:05

Ron Wood probably deserves a little bit of criticism but not as much as he gets here.What about mentioning some stuff he has done well?What about his playing on the album studio version of Saint of Me or some of his good shows?Didn't he have an excellent two or three months at the end of '02 & the beginning of '03? For example I've heard he was on fire in Denver '03.The "decline" gets blown way out of proportion around this site.I can't imagine things turning out much better than they have after Toronto 1977 (except the keyboard player getting too high into the mix because I believe the majority of the crowd wants a more studio-like sound;most of us prefer a loud guitar sound but didn't they get some bad reviews in '75?).

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 17, 2005 00:46

I'm very critical of the 'fact' that RW has not been involved more on the new album. i.e. critical of KR and MJ.

Ofcourse we want him to be on fire when playing live. But I also think it's true that he has been poor and irresponsible at many more recent shows. It's all very well being fond of the man, as many of us are.......but surely you expect the man to play well and to show he cares at a concert, (top dollar or not). So, criticism of bad performances is fair, I'd say.

No-one can criticise his commitment to keeping the R&R pot boiling when the Stones aren't working, however. And his studio solo-catalogue speaks for itself.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 17, 2005 01:18

im not a big woody fan , thought his best tour was 78 ,but as of now hes with the stones 30 yrs. & i no now they made the best choice replacing taylor back in 75..to me some of woodys best solos were with the faces,especially Stay WITH ME....ive seen the faces live back in july 72 , & they were great ,,about 3 weeks later i saw the stones..& im still buzzed up from that show..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 17, 2005 01:35

crossfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but can we get off Ron??
>

No. I will call 'em as a I see/hear 'em. Thanks.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 17, 2005 01:57

his solo on Out of Tears was Great

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 17, 2005 02:06

no

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 17, 2005 03:29

I'm sick of this crap regarding Ronnie. Just shut your freaking mouths and enjoy the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-17 03:34 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 17, 2005 04:01

you can see my mouth?

Date: July 17, 2005 04:16

Plain and simple DEB, if the ticket prices bother you (plus subpar professionalism) then don't go to the show!!! I've been a regular attendee since '81 and have yet to really experience a lack of professionalism from the Boys. The stones shows for me have always been top drawer and very professional.

Maybe I don't understand all there is to know with respect to musical showmanship while on stage, but I think there's room for improvement for all around. That's not why I go and see these guys (to see if they can improve from show to show, tour to tour). I go because I respect who they are, what they stand for and most certainly dig the shit out of being in the prescence of rn'r icons that in most regards can still put on one hell of a rock your ass concert production.

All I'm saying is lets just back off the negativity of a man who by most standards is a guitar playing legend and enjoy what most probably is the twilight of a lengendary career.

BTW, don't get the wrong impression, I hate the exorbitant ticket prices. However, I'm totally down with the concept of "paying for what you love".

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 17, 2005 09:01

Ronnie is Great and I still don't see where he is having a problem. As I have mentioned before, how does he do all he does if he is so out of it? He plays gigs more than the rest of the Stones, he paints, he does openings for his Art Shows, he goes on gobs of outings with his family, he just lost his ex-wife, so where is the time to be "out of it"? Give the man a break!

I lub you Ron, Ron!

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 17, 2005 12:34

Not really a 'guitar legend'.......but certainly he's got a very unique sound/style.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 17, 2005 13:04

Only Ronnie can drop this!!

A Personal letter to Ronnie Wood!
Posted by: jeroen starink ()
Date: July 17, 2005 13:42

I agree with some people on this thread. Lets not be too harsh on Ronnie!!! He has a hard time, i think, on dealing withe the death of his ex-wife. Still, its no reason to start drinking again. But, hes a good laugh and, i think, a lot more sympathetic than Mick jagger.
from what i read/know, Keef has been hard on him on the last tour. For gods sake, let him have fun and play good music on the new tour.

So Ronnie, if you read this: I wish you lots of strength in this, diffificult time in your life. Please keep your spirit alive, and dont let all the critiscm of the fans, and maybe Keef, let you down.

I am looking forward to see the band and You, in Holland in 2006. Thanks for the good times!! Jeroen

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: July 17, 2005 16:35

There is no doubt that Ron Wood would be a lot happier fronting the Faces with Rod Stewart than playing with the Stones. My one rock and roll wish has always been to have the Faces and Stones play a show together!

Date: July 17, 2005 16:42

Hello ShatteredVA,
I think you're mistaken about Ronnie rather to be fronting Faces and ROD (not to say that he's not buds with Rod). Historically speaking, Ronnie always stated openly about being a member of the Stones (before he joined the band). Do your research and get back to me. I think you'll find this to be true which only reinforces why Ron Wood is a rock (thru the years) for the Rolling Stones (and you can't teach loyalty!)...

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 17, 2005 23:04

I think that criticism very often is exaggerated, even unfair. Ronnie was great on the USA leg of Licks Tour. Ronnie in Europe was not always stable but even so he reraly had realy bad, disappointing standards. He is still a good guitarist and i hope will win the fight against alcohl.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 17, 2005 23:43

I really agree with Crossfire. If the Stones were not worth it to me I wouldnt go, as I dont go to other artists' shows if I dont like them anymore or if they are not interesting live. I've seen Ron obviously out of it once on the Licks tour, & he was imo excellent at the other shows I saw. (He was pretty coked up for the Bo Diddley Gunslingers show in '87, but that had its charms - its much more vital he be sober now as Chelseadrugstore says elsewhere). My life has been transformed by the Stones, and I am/was a Ron Wood fan from the Faces / Rod / Jeff Beck Group / Birds and thought he was indeed the best & obvious choice for new Stone in '75. Cant wait to see them again in August. And I dont take someone's slips as an affront, just sad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home