Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Would you mind a couple of older tunes?
Posted by: mark ()
Date: July 11, 2005 22:22

I was watching that Denzel movie "Fallen" the other night and they use Time Is On My Side as a reoccuring key to the plot throughout....got me thinking how much I liked some of the sixties songs I grew up on when they did include them live...Under My Thumb, Time Is On My Side.

The only disappointment I had with Licks tour was not including a couple of these songs to balance out the 40 years theme, I'm thinking top 40 hits here. I know not all songs translate into dynamic 'live' Stones classics but I would like to see a couple thrown in for balance and have them performed as close to the originals as possible. For me it just gives a rounded representation of their work. I realize many of the sixties sounds they were messing with are so dated, but it would be fun I think to recreate some of those glory days and sounds.

Anyone else like these types of tunes enough to include them, even as just a historical note? I would love a Ninteenth Nervious Breakdown, Get Off of MY Cloud, et.

Re: Would you mind a couple of older tunes?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 12, 2005 02:21

2000 LIGHT YEARS OR CHILD OF THE MOON WOULD BE COOL.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2005 03:06

Of course, and that era's songs definitely belong in any Stones set

I REALLY loved the version they did of "Heart of stone" on the last tour. First time it had been played in THIRTY SEVEN YEARS. Unfortunately, it was only a few appearances but it was magical. Check out the Oakland show from 12.11.02. One of my favourite shows on the entire tour and a great setlist too

My own personal wish for old songs is that they finally give a live debut to "You cant catch me". ideally on a b-stage. One of my favourite top 10 Stones records of all time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-12 03:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2005 04:55

A few days ago I saw a bluegrass band (Chatham County Line) playing a great version of 'Pain in my Heart'. That song would be nice to hear on the upcoming tour. Oh, and they also played 'Ooh la la' smiling smiley

- Koen.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 12, 2005 05:26

Heart Of Stone

Play With Fire

Lady Jane

The Spider and The Fly

Posted by: stonesfool ()
Date: July 12, 2005 08:43

if they played a "heavier" Under My Thumb, similar to what's seen on Gimme Shelter, I would be in heaven. Hell, all their songs should be played heavier. Even their famous "heavy" songs like Sympathy For the Devil and Gimme Shelter are a joke the way they play them these days.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2005 09:54

Yeah, I would like to hear how Mick could ddeal with those melodic songs from Swinging Sixties days, namely he is such a master nowadays to interpret ballads. What about "She Smiled Sweetly", "Back Street Girl".. in fact, there is a lot of interesting stuff in Between The Buttons. Not any 'one to one' versions, but new arrangements, 'adult' reading, etc. They have done some great versions from 89 on. "Ruby Tuesday", ""Factory Girl", "Play With Fire", "The Spider And The Fly", "That's How Srong My Love Is", "Heart of Stone"... (And of course, the reading of "Time is On my Side" in Still Life is a masterpiece.)

What goes for their hits from those days, I am afraid that some of the songs are not very easy to give a modern clothing: you know, "The Last Time", "Get Off Of My Cloud", "19th Nervous Breakdown"... you need young, angry, and maybe hungry guys to deliver the attitude, the shouting, the guitar riffs, etc. Maybe some Oasis could do a nice version of "Breakdown", but not our Chuck Leavell Orchestra... smiling smiley The horrible version of "Get Off Of My Cloud" in Love You Live tells quite directly that Jagger was not at all in terms with the song anymore (well, maybe not with any song in that album...)

- Doxa

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 12, 2005 18:55

I often wondered why they don't play many of their hits from the 60's and when they do its considered a surprise or an obscure song.

Mother's Little Helper
Lady Jane
As Tears Go By

These are never played, and there are so many more that just seemed to be ignored or forgotten. I wonder if they don't play pre-1968 stuff because of something to do with their record label from that period. I know there are exceptions like Satisfaction but how could they ignore or their early stuff.

They would never play stuff from albums like Flowers or Metamorphasis, with the exception of an occasional Ruby Tuesday or LSTNT.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 12, 2005 19:05

19th Nervous Breakdown
Under My Thumb
I'm a King Bee

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 13, 2005 04:54

All of you have posed great questions. I have also wondered why the Stones neglect their 60's hits during their tours. Very puzzling indeed. I have to disagree bigtime with Mark about their old tunes sounding dated. Those songs are timeless . . .

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 13, 2005 05:18

LADY JANE ...AS TEARS GO BY ,,,,,how bout it glimmer twins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1233
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home