Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

80s albums
Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:25

I'm curious what everyone considers to be the "best" Stones album from the 80s... For me its Emotional Rescue followed closely by Undercover.

Re: 80s albums
Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:27

Tattoo You no doubts for me!

Posted by: eric ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:30

they sucked... all of them. One or two good songs... but come on...the only thing worse than the Stones...was BOWIE's attempt at the pop scene. But at least Bowie admits that is was his least creative period of his career and he is ashamed of the material from the 80's. EWWWWW, terrible records. The Stones got back on path with Steel Wheels ( which WAS an 80's record but I dont count that as one...89 close enough to 90... Dirty Works... ER..... ewwwwwwww!!!!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:31

Undercover

Date: July 5, 2005 22:31

OPPPS... plus TATOO YOU was close enough to the 70's so I dont count that one either as being part of the Stone's 80's sound.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:38

If it came out in the 80's than its an 80's album. I'd say Tattoo You, then probably Dirty Work. Undercover never did it for me, despite a few songs that rock.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:39

tattoo you !! (for me)

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: July 5, 2005 22:40

Ok ok..... Tattoo You gets the vote here. Poor little record, shame to have a CLASSIC piled up in the old sh^t pile.....

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:41

Tattoo then DW

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:57

J-J-Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it came out in the 80's than its an 80's album.
>

Says you. If they released a bunch of 70's songs today, you'd call it an '05 album? I wouldn't. Tattoo You is most definitely a 70's album, IMO.

Best 80's album? Kind of an oxymoron, ain't it? If I must pick one, I'd go with UC...

Date: July 5, 2005 23:01

YEAH!!!! THATS RIGHT T&A AND I AGREE... SO I TAKE BACK MY VOTE FOR TATOO YOU AND GIVE IT TO UMMM, UMMM,HOLD ON... UMMMM, UMMMM....I DONT CARE YOU PICK IT!!!

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 5, 2005 23:07

by this point of view i take emotional rescue

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 5, 2005 23:07

I love you guys. I'm gonna give you all hugs, and then timelines so you can see when the 80s began and ended.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 5, 2005 23:22

The question was best album from the 80s and Tattoo You came out in 81. I know that the songs were from sessions from the 70s. I was just going by release dates. If you want to do it that way wouldn't Emotional Rescue be a 70's album too. Start Me up was released in 1981, most people don't know that it came from sessions in the mid-70s.

Date: July 5, 2005 23:53

Tattoo You tracks mostly pre-date recordings done for ER. ER is a borderliner, given recordings in '79 and release in '80. But, TY is not a borderliner, IMHFO, because the tracks mostly come from the mid-70's. I must insist on this point. I must. I must. I must.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 5, 2005 23:58

Ok: 80´s for me it´s Steel Wheels!

I prefer Tatoo You but as it seems to be a 70´s album....

:-)

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: July 5, 2005 23:59

all of them are really good stuff

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: July 6, 2005 00:10

For me, it's Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work and Still Life (if we include live albums) in that order.

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Date: July 6, 2005 00:13

that would be my order, too, sf37, if I could see past my own imposed rules...

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 6, 2005 00:16

Undercover and Still Life,love all Stonesalbums, but some more than others!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 6, 2005 00:53

Tattoo You is probably one of the best Rolling Stones albums ever.Its the perfect LP to take to a party:rnr on side 1 and ballads on side2.Underated and brilliant.Forget the lazy music critics and their views on Exile and crank this baby up.Who was that dog in the stilletoes anyhow?

Emotional Rescue best LP of 1980.Closely followed by Dylans Saved,released same week.Also underated.Somethings get better with time.A prime example.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 6, 2005 02:35

This is a decade that sucked zebra´s...
Therefore my votes goes to Tatto & Emotional in the very very beginning & Steel Wheels at the very end of it.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:19

of course tattoo you is an 80,s album,and it,s the best of them too.ta you can,t turn around like this,you must be joking

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:45

eric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
the only thing worse than
> ...was BOWIE's attempt at the pop scene.
> But at least Bowie admits that is was his least
> creative period of his career and he is ashamed of
> the material from the 80's.

Not completely true. Scary Monsters was released in 1980 and is one of his best records. After that he went pop with succes. On his latest tours he performs Let's Dance and China Girl. I'm positive he still likes the Let's Dance album. He should be because it is good (not the whole album though).

It's the two albums after Let's dance that suck (Tonight & Never Let Me Down), but still some great songs on there. Loving The Alien is even a song he performed on his Reality Tour.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: July 6, 2005 18:08

1. Tattoo You
2. Dirty Work
3. Undercover
4. Still Life
5. Emotional Rescue
6. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels never did it for me. Certainly Voodoo Lounge is the best of the three most recent studio efforts. Not their best period but some gems nonetheless, even if many are rejects from past projects. Listened to Emotional Rescue on the weekend and I must say I love Indian Girl even if the rest of the album is not great.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 9, 2005 07:19

steel wheels

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 9, 2005 07:49

Bowiestone I've never been into Bowie. I live with a girl who is big into him and even that didn't rub off. (And her Queen obsession at least made me realize that there was something to be seen in Ready Freddie). I like Alladin Sane allright and Lodger and Scary Monsters and Heroes are all pretty good. But the last 6 or 7 albums are all forgettable. How many are there anyway? Seem s like there's a whole bunch with one word titles. "Heathen", "Tonight", Doodah and Doothis...Are you still into him? For the last 10 years every time I notice him it seems like he's announcing the return of Ziggy.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 9, 2005 13:23

Let me tell you. The fans are all incredibly happy with his latest bunch of albums. All of them are top notch.

His last one 'Reality' is splendid stuff. The one before 'Heathen', same thing: brilliant. Only 'hours...' is a bit disapointing (but you should hear 'The Pretty Things Are Going to hell' from that one... WOW!).
The one before 'hours...' was Earthling. Great great album. 1995 he released Outside, very daring and amazing record. Black Tie White Noise is a strange album and I might be the only one liking that one.

Then there also was Tin Machine. They made a good debut but the follow up wasn't that good.

And then we have his eighties albums.

I don't even think about Ziggy when I see him or listen to his latest albums.

David Bowie is one of those artists thatsaw the light again after some poor years (mainly the second part of the eighties). Bob Dylan is another one. Also Paul McCartney.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: July 9, 2005 14:32

Emotional rescue is my favorite, but really I like most of the eighties stuff.
Undercover was an underated release,Steel Wheels a bit overated I though..good but not brilliant like some said at the time..Kieths best song 'Slipping away' was a great closer, I like Dirty work..hell I like em all.
Re; Bowie
I really agree 100% with with you Bowiestone. His latest stuff is really back into form..Im sure he realised at the time of Glass Spider/Tonight etc it was all going tits-up. Tin Machine as not as bad as people make out..Outside was great- thats when I felt he pulled it round..but mid to late eighties he really was NOT GOOD AT ALL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home