Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Olympic Games 2012
Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 5, 2005 20:54

Tomorrow we'll know which candidate city will host the 2012 Olympic Games.

Let's hope that britons and french keep on arguing about the Paris stadiums and the english food and all that so Madrid wins grinning smiley

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Re: OT: Olympic Games 2012
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: July 5, 2005 21:57

and everyone will be happy !
many times, outsiders happened to win, so...

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: July 5, 2005 22:05

2012 is the year the Stones will retire after 50 years (1962-2012).

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 6, 2005 07:22

I hope London gets it. They have a really good post Olympics plan in place from what I understand.

NYC are arguing apparently whether it will be in Queens or Manhattan. Do they plan to build an Olympic stadium in Central Park I wonder?
It would be a great place to have it but the U.S only had it in 1996.

Spain only had it in 1992 so Spain shouldn't get it either.

Moscow...well.....they apparently haven't looked after the stadiums etc that were used for the 1980 games so I don't see how they'd be a viable option.

I don't know if Paris would be ready by 2012.
Or ever for that matter.

All only my opinion of course but go the Poms!

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: July 6, 2005 08:34

The last time Paris organized the Games was in 1924 !!
This could be the last time, this could be the last time ...oh no please !

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 6, 2005 09:45

I hope Paris gets the games.
I don't understand what you mean monkey man, were are more ready today than Athens was 1 month before the opening of their games.(kidding, but still)

- Moscow, don't think so
- NYC, they don't know exactly what they want
- Madrid, well Spain already had the Olympics not so long ago
- London is way too agressive. The spirit of the Olympics is fair play, saying that being part of it is more important than winning. The Brits spent their time criticizing the french program, more than showing how good theirs is.

Wait and see

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2005 09:50

Well, I hope that Paris will not won, because French kitchen just simply sucks... smiling smiley

- Doxa

Date: July 6, 2005 09:54

I'm not knocking the French so please don't read it as such, but I don't know that France (I should say Paris) could cope with so many more tourists.

From a a tourist perspective you have enough (tourists) as it is and alot of Parisians don't seem to want to know them as it is, so I don't see how the extra tens of thousands of tourists coming into Paris would be well accommodated for.

Just trying to take a public piss in Paris is a dilema in itself.

The surrounding area of the Eifel Tower alone would need serious plumbing reorganising alone let alone the rest of the city and its outskirts.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: July 6, 2005 09:56

yes I think that what could make London lose is their anti-french "disease" ..
But Paris and London are very close so it's impossible to say now who the winner is.

Date: July 6, 2005 10:47

Well, now everybody knows what I was talking yesterday about London and Paris arguing... grinning smiley

Date: July 6, 2005 11:02

"Well, now everybody knows what I was talking yesterday about London and Paris arguing... "

hahaha.

Well I'm not arguing for England really as I'm not English, I just don't think Paris would be prepared.
And London is very organised on the whole with public facilties. Guess I'm a little bias in that (apart from its weather) I think London rocks as well.

I think however it should be just in Sydney every four years.
Why have it elsewhere once perfect?

:0)

kyle m

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 6, 2005 14:21

It's down to London and Paris now, announcement in 20 minutes!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 6, 2005 14:49

eat that froggies

yawning smiley)

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 6, 2005 14:51

It´s L O N D O N

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 6, 2005 14:53

London has got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 6, 2005 14:58

Congrats to londoners! (La próxima vez será para nosotros!)

(BTW, andy js: what does "eat that froggies" mean??)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:00

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:01

Good choice!

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:02

congrats to london

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:02

it doesn't mean anything Bruno

just a bit of fun from the roast beef boys

it seems that Chiriac might have to eat some humble pie. i just hope for his sake its not cooked in England

HAHAHAHA

that's what happens when you play dirty

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:04

Yeah, England has the next best health system compared to the third world. I think the athletes will fly in and out if they need a doctor.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:10

As long as your private.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:13

CHIRAC HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Doxa

Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: July 6, 2005 15:42

From a personal point of view, the London win is a disaster.
For normal, working class people, who live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and pay huge taxes and rates, its a nightmare.
The cost of living will rise even more - it's the likes of us who will be paying for it through tax increases- not the celebrating millionaire David Beckham, who lives in Spain.
And it will be the likes of me- the London taxpayer, who will be at the end of the queue, when it comes to handing out tickets.

If you're working class and you live in London its a huge disaster.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 6, 2005 16:13

Congratulations London!

I don't understand why people always complain about the tax money and the tax payer. The easiest way to save money is by sitting down and do nothing. Then spending all tax on elderly and sick people. But you don't generate any activity and growth that way. You need some action and some excitement to grow a people or a country or a region. We did in in Norway 1984 with the Winter Olympics. That region got a boost, and even if the tax payer complain every time, it is a fact that the infrastucture is a value to everyone in decades to follow. I am sure London and the entire UK will get a great boost with lots of excitement.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: July 6, 2005 16:16

Personally couldn't give a f$%k about the Olympics as it will be shit loads of taxpayers money thrown into an area for 2 weeks worth of games and then left to be turned into a Ghetto by the locals.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 6, 2005 16:30

Interesting comment, Bjornulf, I wonder what your personal current taxrate is, and whether you are content with the free public services (healthcare, etc...) that you and your family receive in Norway, and whether you feel that your taxes help to make norwegian society a fairer place to live in and be a part of than let's say for example USA society.

I pay about 40% tax on my yearly income, and after that pay for a private healthinsurance (as in my job you can't afford the long waiting lists), as well as for private schooling for my daughter (as "free" schooling in our area is bad).
I feel that taxmoney in Britain doesn't give you value for money, that it gets squandered on a ridiculously outdated and inefficient healthcare system, public services suck, the British couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, and on top of that EVERYTHING, from clothes, to petrol, to food, to cars is about 30% to 50% more expensive than in the rest of Europe.

So am I happy at paying so much tax.
No, I'm not.
Although I'd much rather live in a society with empathy and a social net for the young, sick and infirm than in the USA, where it's great if you're rich and awful if you're not....

So:ADRIAN L is perfectly entitled to say he resents the win and having to indirectly foot the bill for it, and I sympathise with his opinion EVEN if you're left with a legacy of nice buildings and sports stadiums...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 6, 2005 18:09

I know I don't add to the debate but I thougth that the '84 Winter Olympics were held in Sarajevo....

Me, a little bit sad that Paris lost 'cause the Olymplic Village was supposed to be very near to where I live...Was ready to endure months and months of works (traffic jams and such) but I think at the end it's worthed..

And yes, investment creats wealth.....For some at least...Anyway being a good sport CONGRATULATIONS LONDON....

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 6, 2005 18:10

I know I don't add to the debate but I thougth that the '84 Winter Olympics were held in Sarajevo....

Me, a little bit sad that Paris lost 'cause the Olymplic Village was supposed to be very near to where I live...Was ready to endure months and months of works (traffic jams and such) but I think at the end it's worthed..

And yes, investment creates wealth.....For some at least...Anyway being a good sport CONGRATULATIONS LONDON....

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 6, 2005 18:38

PS to stonefan:

Don't take any notice of TV and other journalistic crap being churned out to sell papers and create emotional hype.....
I've lived in England for 15 years now, and my personal impression is that there IS NO "anti-French-disease", quite the opposite, really. There is a very old tradition of teaching French as the first "foreign" language at schools when kids reach 13, despite the fact that French is much less practical than say Arabic, Chinese or Spanish (if we went by population sizes). There is also a tradition of visiting France, having student exchanges with french schools, buying gites in France, being a fan of french food etcetera...

I suspect that the "cliche of anti-Frenchness" stems from as long back as 1415 (Agincourt battle), when the English King Henry V defeated a much much larger french army consisting of heavily armoured knights by the simple fact that his soldiers had longbows that shot arrows so precisely and from such faraway distances that they were absolutely deadly and undefeatable. When captured, English soldiers would get their right index and middle finger bluntly cut off, and at subsequent battles it was common for English soldiers to taunt the French opponents by holding up those two fingers in a "victory sign" held back to front, sort of saying : I still have my fingers nanananana.... And, just in case anyone ever wondered why Americans lift the middle finger only, but Brits lift both to signal "&*%$ you", that's where it comes from....

Now I have to work.
To pay my taxes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home