Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Real Musicians at Live8
Posted by: tomcat ()
Date: July 3, 2005 15:15

While watching Live8 I was struck by the lack of muscial talent of many of the newer groups that performed at yesterdays concerts. The Black Eyed Peas, Jay Z, etc. all left me feeling flat and uninspired. They really have no musical talent to speak of and compensate by posing and attempting to cover other artists songs. How about "We Will Rock You" by Green Day? To me it left me totally flat and I was embarrassed when he compensated by getting the crowd to sing Day O.

On the other hand, listen to Bruce Cockburn with a single acoustic guitar and voice communicate so well. He may be one of the best guitar players you will ever hear. I've seen him live and he is simply incredible.

Pink Floyd are a fanstastic musical unit and show the value of musicianship, interplay, and creativity.

Deep Purple were fantastic.

Can we say the same for Black eyed peas??

Re: Real Musicians at Live8
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 3, 2005 15:24

Exactly Tomcat, why I remember my dad saying the same thing about the Stones and PFunk and Zepplin. He listened to Duke Ellington and Hank Williams. He thought my music was crap.

Yes, popular music is different today. You can't possibly compare the Black Eyed Peas to Pink Floyd.You don;t see people in clubs dancing to Shine on You Crazy Diamond! I don;t think the majority of kids these day analyze stuff like many of us did. I don;t think kids really care if this guy plays a great guitar solo and that one plays a very tight bass line. Things have changed.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 3, 2005 15:36

Slash still does his trick doesn't he? It was him that made G'n'R sound like G'n'R appearantly. We got thrown back fifteen years in a f*cking good way. I actually loved Velvet Revolver.
Furthermore I mostly enjoyed the Who and the Sgt. Pepper opening. Obviously dissappointed that Joss' set ended without Mick joining in.
Talking Joss Stone, that's new musical talent right?

But it's true, the much appraised Destiny's Child, I mean, how could anyone stand an hour and a half of them and their silly dances (impossibly glued because of high heels), their slightly out of tune/tone singing, their frequent play-backing (we know from Keith that when u leave the mic, you can't be heard anymore. Accept when you're called Destiny's C.), Beyonce's overdone 'coloratura'.

The BEP at least seem to be a bit original in their assembly.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 3, 2005 15:43

I like Destiny's Child.
Some of their songs are very clever compositions.

I even attended one of their concerts a couple of years ago and it was a great (although very American) show. The lead vocals are never playback. Beyonce can sing and can (co)write.

I don't care if they have succes or not, make r&b or not, look good or bad, have a lot of teenage fans or not, dance or don't dance... good music is good music, period. To me, Destiny's Child make good music... but Beyonce can do it on her own.

btw... Velvet Revolver was hilarious. A bunch of hasbeens acting like they are the biggest band around.
... Izzy was GNR, not Slash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 15:44 by BowieStone.

Date: July 3, 2005 15:52

BowieStone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't care if they have succes or not, make
> r&b or not, look good or bad, have a lot of
> teenage fans or not, dance or don't dance... good
> music is good music, period. To me, Destiny's
> Child make good music... but Beyonce can do it on
> her own.
>

Well yes the music is good, although I don't like it. But yesterday's live performance? Really amateuristic. They probably do better when everything is set up for them on tour. Come to think of it, I'm afraid that's the reason the Stones don't join in as well: because they'd be out of their 'natural habitat' winking smiley

Ok, you're right about Izzy and his credit. I forgot him while I was actually kicking Axl's role here. grinning smiley

Date: July 3, 2005 16:02

Oh, I forgot: if I where Macca, I'd refuse to end another big event with that horrible Hey Jude all-artist sing along. If I remember correctly, the Queen's Jubilee concert had something alike.
By the way: where was Brian May?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 3, 2005 16:43

tomcat

are you 105 ?

i don't go to a gig to worry about 'musicianship' i go to have fun and hear some rock n roll

great musicianship never meant shit to me. its all about the songs

the simpler the better too

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 3, 2005 18:10

"... Izzy was GNR, not Slash."

amen to that !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home