Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Need Help
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 25, 2005 18:52

I'm looking to purchase a new disc. I'm looking for something that really rocks for my drive in to work.My PC is down so I need to purchase a disc vs download.
I'm looking for something new..maybe a new band.

Thoughts?

Re: Need Help
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 25, 2005 19:59

I haven't heard it, but the new Sleater-Kinney is supposed to be very good:

[www.pitchforkmedia.com]

Karl

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 25, 2005 21:35

With all of my soul I encourage you to go out and find an album called "White Boy Blues". Seriously, amazing stuff. I have it on vinyl and havent seen it anywhere on cd. Ofcourse it might be out there, I just havent searched, and I love vinyl.

Some more suggestions:
- The Arcade Fire
- Stars (Album: Set Yourself on Fire)
- The Alexander (thealexander.com)
- The Mars Volta

I'm sure I could come up with a better list, but these are relatively new bands that I've been turning my friends onto. The four listed above are very melodic and ambient forms of rocknroll. Not the normal style. Kindof like Radiohead without the tecno vibe. Just wonderful music.

Drake

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2005 00:58

Reigning Sound - Too Much Guitar

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 26, 2005 01:08

Is White Boy Blues the same as the comp w/ that title, features 60s material like the Page/Clapton/Jagger/Wyman blues doodles, & Ron W's late '66 Santa Barbara Machine Head tracks (w/ Jon Lord - later of Deep Purple, who recycled the title...) among other items?

Date: May 26, 2005 16:43

Thanks to all.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 26, 2005 19:31

It's weird that drake metioned some of the stuff I would have said: Arcade Fire and Mars Volta,
I would add Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, Kings of Leon. Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams. And of course Nick Cave

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 26, 2005 20:28

If you want music that really rocks your drive to work, how about some ROLLING STONES!!! (not a new band, but the greatest).

Date: May 26, 2005 21:10

DGA35...I am waiting on some shows I don't own....they are in the mail! Agreed though, listened to Dirty Work outtakes yesterday, as well as Trident Mixes.

Ended up with a Johnny Lang disc and a Rick James Anthology. I look at my music collection and except for blues, soul, reggae, and the Stones, I don't own much that was released past 1986.

Sort of embarrassing

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: May 26, 2005 21:47

Try: Ladies and Gentlemen, will you please welcome Christer Knutsen! By Christer Knutsen. Find it on the internet! He's a Stones-fan, inspired by great music, and a great musician himself.

Date: May 26, 2005 21:53

Cool,thanks

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 26, 2005 21:59

[www.nrk.no]

Live videos etc with the man.

Date: May 26, 2005 22:08

...Eh, it´s a little tricky entering the link´s video feed above...
I´m listening right now, though.

You have at a certain stepo click "Ny bruker" (=New user);
and fill in a formula.

At the last step, you´ll have to go to the e-mail adress you before that have written down; copy & paste a code from ypour mailbow to this last step´s little square.

We Scandinavians sure could help you others with the language; but I think you´ll understand most of it - if not all.

Right, shidobee: This is really really great! Think I hear a cello (2?) on "Don´t Be Afraid". Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-26 22:11 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 26, 2005 22:15

Ellis Hooks - The Hand Of God

He's a soul-blues type guy. Think if Hootie would have listened to Otis redding and James Brown. It's great.

Date: May 26, 2005 22:16

Elmo, where´re you from btw?

Date: May 26, 2005 22:25

I'm from US Georgia about 3 hours south of Atlanta. How about you?

Date: May 26, 2005 22:35

Sweden 5 hours North from Stockholm.

Southern Rivers or Historic South in Tourist-talk?
[www.georgia.org]

Date: May 26, 2005 22:38

Southern Rivers, about an hour from Macon (Home of Little Richard, Otis Redding, and The Allman Brothers). I'm about 40 minutes from Chuck Leavell's place and have had a chance to visit there a couple of times. A friend works there and it's like Disneyland for a Stones fan. Lots of Ronnie's artwork, gold and platinum CD's, great pictures, etc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2005 22:43

Any beaver there? ... You know like chewin' on Chuck's trees

ROCKMAN

Date: May 26, 2005 22:44

Cool, really cool. You´re in the very frying pan of soul & r'n'r...

Date: May 26, 2005 23:06

We could export some beaver from here... My town even has the creature (not Leavell) as its symbol.
Seriously, the closest I´ve got to some Stones-related thing is some 2½ hours inwards the outback to Färila where Bill´s former wife Astrid Lundström came from... Well, Ol´ Bill used to go there before... Maybe he´ll do a little excursion there after or before he playing in Sundsvall only a little less than 2 hours to Färila.
And Anna Wohlin, Brian´s partner back in July´69 (and some months before as well), of course lives in Sweden. And some other figures.

Date: May 26, 2005 23:21

Astrid was quite a looker in her day. Are you coming to the US for any of the shows?

BTW, it about 4:30 P. M. here. How about there?

Date: May 26, 2005 23:23

I picked up Warren Zevon's Wind at lunch. It's his latest one. Listening to it now...Great purchase!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 26, 2005 23:56

Yes, White Boy Blues is a compilation, and its brilliant. The tracks with Clapton & Page are brilliant. Clapton was great at blues. Its a shame he dropped it to write lame shit like Layla. Total crap compared to anything on that collection.

BTW, mad props on Kings of Leon and all the other excellent suggestions...

Drake

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 27, 2005 11:18

If you like to rock out then try these two babies, they rock like muthafuckas, Can't help but shake your booty when this shit is blasting out the stereo!

Danko Jones - Born a Lion & We sweat Blood are both sweet albums
Beautiful Creatures - self titled debut - balls to the wall rock

Date: May 27, 2005 18:48

Cafaro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I picked up Warren Zevon's Wind at lunch. It's his
> latest one. Listening to it now...Great purchase!

Hi;

US East Coast is six hours after us, I live in CET, which is one hour before GMT.
Whatever that makes... Seven hours between Georgia & Sweden.. ?

No I can´t afford US, not with 5 hungry kids...

Date: May 27, 2005 19:32

So is it about 7:30 PM now?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home