Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie - Watt's in it for him?
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:53

At the PC Charlie said that this would be the “last” tour. Maybe he was referring to the group, maybe just to himself. I wonder what keeps Charlie interested in doing these long worldwide tours. He has grandchildren, he’s just recently recovered from a throat cancer, he certainly is no fan of the hotels and the travel, and he doesn’t IMO have the ego of Mick/Keith. Why not just kick back at the farm with his family and play a few jazz gigs here and there? My only guess is that he probably does it because his mates want him to. He’s the kind of guy who just wouldn’t let his band down. A real class act, he is.

And, as Chuck D once said “hear the drummer get wickit”

Karl

Re: Charlie - Watt's in it for him?
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:57

Or he may enjoy playing the music......I remember him grinning from ear to ear during licks

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:08

I totally agree, Charlie is a real gentleman
I don't know if the Stones tours are as boring to him as he pretends, but I think he won't leave his 40-year friends alone.
Maybe he considers touring with the Stones as a job with good friends that helps him appreciating his jazz projects, his horses and all his hobbies.

Who knows, this may really be the last tour.
I hope it's gonna be a great tour, even better than the previous one, and I wish the Stones will stop their career at a peak, and not on the decline.

As much I can admire Chuck Berry for everything he brought to music I was really disapointed by his performance in Paris a few months ago. IMO, a legend leave a good image of himself, especially if he doesen't need the money for a living.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:49

Charlie always wanted to call it a day since the Voodoo-tour. I think this time he is really serious. I don´t see him going on a year-long-tour when he is 65 or 66. For him the new tour will be last time he travels around the globe with the Stones, but he will surely enjoy doing single performances or very short tours in the future. He wouldn´t play his Jazz clubgigs if he would not still enjoy playing. But I can really understand when he is sick of world tours at his age.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:55

I havent seen the video of the pc - a friend suggested he was responding with a bit of attitude to what may have seemed like a stupid question, one they get asked every tour since '72 or so. Maybe not. If they break up in late 2006, it will still be a miraculous feat of band longevity, comparable only to the Ellington band. If they broke up in '69, or '82, or when Bill left, they'd still have a great history & body of work & nothing to prove...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:55

Charlie is factor X. If he goes = no Stones, we all know it.
I´m also afraid this is for real.
On the other hand ha has a stiff upper lipp & it could all have been a prank while he said his only word during the pc: "Yes!".
It´s probably not the first time Charlie has been the focus of this kind of speculation, after Bill´s gone, he´s the oldest.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: May 17, 2005 02:47

When they reach the final night of this tour I can picture the lights going dim and Charlie announcing "well folks, you are the last audience to see The Rolling Stones on Stage"

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 17, 2005 09:45

Charlie once said in an interview and I qoute "I play the drums for Mick and Keith, that's what I do" and in an interview from Four Flicks he said "I never wanted to play rock and roll with anyone else"

I believe we will see Charlie hanging out with the rest of the bunch till the end!

Ronnie said once "Charlie's the engine, we don't go anywhere without the engine!"
Guess that's true!

HJofSweden

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 17, 2005 14:25

Charlie answered "yes" when someone asked if this is gonna be the last tour, but it sounded to me that he wanted to express the "let's say yes just to stop as quickly as possible with this stupid issue" feeling...

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home