Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rumors are flying in Los Angeles...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2005 04:36

Just recieved a phone call from my sister ...here's what she says:

A prominent local radio station in L.A. is talking about the Stones playing the Hollywood Bowl and the Hollywood Palladium sometime in November (6th-11th ?). They say nothing is actually confirmed or etched in Stone, and they don't like to fuel the fire of the rumor mill, but the fact is thats what they're saying. You got to believe!!!

The Palladium is a small old theater, perfect. And of course the Hollywood Bowl has it's share of historical significance. The Beatles, Hendrix, The Doors, etc., have all made their mark there. I read someone complain about the Bowl, but I've been there and the place is awesome. I saw the Rod Stewart w/ special guest Ronnie Wood concert there last year, and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

I'd be in hog heaven to see them play at either of these places.

Any truth to these rumors?

Re: Rumors are flying in Los Angeles...
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2005 11:47

November 6 for the Bowl and 8th for the Palladium, according to rumours.

I would imagine LA would get a stadium show too. Those two venues surely wouldnt have a combined capacity of much more than 20,000....

Date: May 4, 2005 19:44

The demand for Stones tickets in L.A. far exceeds the capacity of those 2 venues combined by at least a million and a half. They would have to have a string of 10 nights in a row at each place to satisfy everyone. There will probably be an Arena show...(maybe Staples or Anaheim Pond)...and definitely a stadium show as well. On second thought, they might opt out of the arena here though, and cram as many people as possible into one of the gigantic stadiums we have across the southland. Pasadena Rose Bowl? Anaheim Edison Field? The old L.A. Colliseum?

And don't forget...San Diego is only a 2 hour drive south (3 for me, I'm an hour north of L.A...out of the rat race)...arenas and stadiums are everywhere!!! And then San Francisco, San Jose, Vegas, etc...Stones shows everywhere!!!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:56

Hairball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The demand for Stones tickets in L.A. far exceeds
> the capacity of those 2 venues combined by at
> least a million and a half. They would have to
> have a string of 10 nights in a row at each place
> to satisfy everyone. There will probably be an
> Arena show...(maybe Staples or Anaheim Pond)...and
> definitely a stadium show as well.

no they wouldnt. I was at Anaheim and Staples in 2002 and there were seats unsold at Anaheim behind me and some were on sale at the box office on the night of the show

It was easy to get a ticket on the street significantly below face value on the evening of the show as well.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 4, 2005 20:01

They will play the 45,000 capacity Edison Field in Anaheim on this tour, to cover the big Los Angeles market. Same venue as for LICKS. [iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-04 22:37 by bv.

Date: May 4, 2005 20:04

Maybe you're right Gazza...and maybe I exaggerated a little. I was at both of the shows mentioned as well, and there was plenty of elbow room. I guess I'm still living in the past when the Stones were really the #1 greatest band in the history of rock, and the public went nuts when tours were announced. These days in L.A., 50% of the attendees are movie stars and rich lawyers. The good tickets are snatched up by ticket agencies who inflate the price, leaving most of the real fans out in the cold.

But if they only play one show each at the Palladium and the Bowl, I guarantee they will be instant sell-outs, even if it's filled with rich lawyers and shitty actors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-04 20:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 4, 2005 21:10

They played the Palladium back in 1972 (with Mick Taylor)
great show that was, bet this one won't come close... MLC

Date: May 4, 2005 21:11

Bjornulff writes:

"They will play the 45,000 capacity Edison Field in Anaheim on this tour...
Same venues as for LICKS."

Does this include Staples Center....and the Wiltern Theater?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 4, 2005 21:52

Hollywood Bowl is a terrible place to see a rock concert as the venue is thin & long. In other words, there are few spots up close as the venues goes VERY far back. Further, from what I understand, all the close seats (boxes) are owned by people. Therefore, these seats will never go on sale to the public... The closest "seats" for sale are around row 40. However, some people do sell their seats in the boxes...AKA scalp them.

The Palladium is another terrible venue for a rock gig...but would still love to see them play in a small place again. It holds around 3-5000, has a larger upstairs area that wraps around the theatre. The place is made for ballroom dancing or something, so it has a large wood floor area (great for slipping when people spill beer...trust me). The floor is also very wide, but not THAT deep. It is a smaller venue, but not anything like the Wiltern was (in layout), nor what places like The Whiskey, The Roxy, House of Blues, The Palace (Avalon), etc. are like. They probably picked the worst "Theatre" to play in LA.

Date: May 4, 2005 22:14

Palladium? The worst? You're talking about one of the most historical venues in the L.A.area.
Are you out of your mind? I'd pay blood to see the Stones play here.

[www.hollywoodpalladium.com]

The Whiskey and Roxy have deteriorated into nothing more than stinking, rotting bars with tribute bands. The same can be said for the Palace, I've seen many shows there years ago, but lately it has been a letdown - catering mainly to young teenage dance/boy bands. The House Of Blues? That would be amazing, I have to agree with that one. Or the Pantages Theater...Dylan played their recently and the place is beautiful.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 4, 2005 22:39

Typing error... it should say "Same venue".

Bjornulf

Date: May 4, 2005 22:59

Pantages I left out (I saw Dylan too...just didn't think it mattered so I didn't mention it) b/c it has seats. You are entitled to your opinion, but the Palladium is A: big & B: a dump. My point on the Whiskey & The Roxy was that they are small and built more for a rock band. I totally disagree with you on The Palace...unless it has changed A LOT in the last 2 years. If you want Pantages, you might as well say the Wilshire (another seated venue). Actually..now that I think about it...the El Rey would be the tits. In any case, of all LA Theatre venues...Palladium is the worst. It is big, it is spread out and it is a dump.

Date: May 5, 2005 01:56

Yes, the El Rey is awesome...very small and tight.
How about the Egyptian theatre? Very small and nice!

But I wonder why they aren't they playing at the Wiltern this time around? I saw Dylan their a couple years ago right after the new renovations and a couple weeks before the Stones show there. It seemed to be the perfect place, and by all acounts from those who were there, it was perfection.

By the way, in the early '80's I saw Ozzy smiling smiley at the Palladium, in the heat of the heavy metal craze. It was perfect...what more can I say? It was out of control! I think the size of the venue is relative anyway...especially when discussing the Stones. Maybe it's bigger than the normal theatre...and a bit spread out perhaps, but that would accomodate more hungry Stones fans. Don't you think? It's a helluva lot better than sitting in the nose bleed of Edison Field with a bunch of non-Stones fans.

Date: May 5, 2005 02:17

Oops...I didn't mean the Egyptian theater in Hollywood...

There is a South American Aztec themed theater/night club on Olympic Blvd in L.A.
I saw the band Spiritualized there a couple years ago, and it was great.

The name slips my mind right now, and I can't find it under club/theatre listings. Any help with this? Maybe it's gone?

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: May 5, 2005 02:33

Hairball, I believe that the Mayan is the venue you're thinking of. I saw Spiritualized there, as well as David Byrne and Coldplay before they got as big as they are today.

I'm not wild about the Hollywood Palladium, either, sdstonesguy. It is something of a dump. But it does have historic value, and after all, Keith and the X-Pensive Winos played there.

Date: May 5, 2005 02:40

Thanks Pserchia, that's the one! I was going nuts (if I'm not already) trying to think of the name of it.

And like you said, if the Palladium is good enough for Keith and the Wino's, then it's good enough for the Stones...and good enough for me.

Posted by: Think ()
Date: May 5, 2005 06:03

DATE: 6/9/72
Venue: Hollywood Palladium
Setlist:
Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Encore:
Honky Tonk Woman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-05 06:10 by Think.

Posted by: Think ()
Date: May 5, 2005 06:08

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: May 5, 2005 14:59

well the palladium is a dump, but it's my dump!!! i have seen at the palladium

dylan
the kinks
spirit
t-rex
fleetwood mac
hot tuna
the clash
chuck berry
grateful dead
johnny otis
the who
bonzo dog band
the byrds
and there's quite a few more my limited memory capacity is omitting, the place rocks!!! r&r is something you have to work for...sitting in a reserved plush seat with bar service is all very nice but sometimes you have to put as much effort into it as possible

Date: May 5, 2005 18:42

Yep...and the Wiltern, El Rey, Palace, Whiskey, Roxy, House of Blues are all w/o seats.

I agree that it is better to see the Stones at the Palladium than say Edison...but if you are going to get a Theatre gig...get a good Theatre. Don't get me wrong, I'll do whatever I can to get in, I'm just saying I'm disappointed with the 2 LA venues...ESPECIALLY!!!! the bowl...ughhh

Date: May 5, 2005 19:00

Bill German mentioned The Fillmore (in SF) as a possible venue...see, now that would be HOT HOT HOT!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home