Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Scotland June 2006
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: April 30, 2005 15:48

According to Scottish Daily Record an "insider" has said that the band will play Hampden Park Glasgow in June 2006. Murrayfield Stadium Edinburgh will be the backup.
Apr 30 2005

Rolling Stones set for Hampden as part of rock's most profitable world tour

By John Dingwall

ROCK legends The Rolling Stones are planning a sensational stadium concert in Scotland next year.

The veteran rockers have pencilled Hampden Park in Glasgow for what promises to be a sell-out show, and possibly the last time they play north of the border.

News of the date comes as the band prepare to announce the first leg of their world tour in New York next month.

They'll reveal their American dates before adding concerts around the world in what is expected to be the most profitable tour by a band ever.

It's predicted the gigs, which start in Boston, Massachusetts, on August 21, and continue throughout most of 2006, will earn more than £50million from ticket sales, while merchandising and sponsorship will come close to doubling the band's income.

After America, Sir Mick Jagger and the boys will travel through Europe before finishing in the UK.

The Stones last played in Scotland at Glasgow's SECC in September 2003. Before that, they rocked Edinburgh's Murrayfield in 1999.

Last night, an insider said: 'The Stones are preparing for a massive world tour and Scotland is, of course, in their plans. They think the Scots are among the best fans in the world and the band's original piano player, Ian Strewart, came from Scotland.

'When he died of a heart attack in 1985, having worked as the band's tour manager, it really shook them up.

'When they come back to Scotland, it evokes fond memories of Stu and travelling up to play places like the Glasgow Odeon in their early years.

'The Stones haven't always been able to make it, but we are only too aware of how disappointed the fans would be if they were to miss out.

'The band are planning to confirm US gigs in a couple of weeks, but UK fans should keep their eyes peeled for announcements.' And the band will be hitting the road for the massive world tour with an amazing combined age of 242.

It's rumoured it will be the last chance to see Sir Mick, Keith Richards, both 61, Charlie Watts, 63, and Ronnie Wood, 57, perform in Scotland.

Charlie, the band's stalwart drummer, was recently diagnosed with throat cancer.

The Stones are also expected to perform at the new Wembley stadium in June next year before heading to Hampden, with Murrayfield pencilled in as a back-up.

But fans will have to pay dearly for the pleasure of watching the Stones in Scotland. Tickets are expected to average £100 each

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-30 15:52 by GuessWho.

Re: Stones Scotland June 2006
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: April 30, 2005 16:08

Thanks for posting the article!
News are coming in every day now, that's great - I'm really feeling the thrill now!
I heard different rumours about the press conference - but NY seems to be the right place - I'm really curious about their plans for the new tour.
If it's really the last world tour I think we can expect something new and innovative for the show, even more if they really want it to be the most profitable tour by a band ever.

And I really hope that they recognize that they can earn good money by incorporating the internet into their tour plans - I'm thinking about soundboard recordings of all the shows :-)
That has been done by other bands before, the technology and the know-how is available...

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: April 30, 2005 23:15

YES YES YES!!!!!!

See you at Hampden!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: May 1, 2005 12:16

Just in case you don`t look at page two of the threads!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home