Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which tour had the most enthusiastic audience.
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 16, 2005 00:05

Which tour, in your opinion, had the most enthusiastic crowd response? I've seen every tour from 78 on. I realize every city and or country has different levels of crowd response, but does one tour stand out as the most frenzied. I've seen photos from the legendary 72 tour and it looked very wild. I remember an article in Rolling Stone in 1975 that was describing a 75 show in Kansas City. The writer stated that only the first 15 rows showed any visible response and he kept waiting for the "old Stone's magic" to wash over the crowd. Was the 72 tour the wildest?

Re: Which tour had the most enthusiastic audience.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 16, 2005 00:31

Argentina 98

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 16, 2005 00:39

I think if one goes back and looks at some of the film of the crowds in the mid 60's, those are probably those most enthusiastic. The Irish crowds in Charlie Is My Darling, the Royal Albert Hall crowd from Have You Seen Your Mother vid, etc.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 16, 2005 00:44

Hard to compare today's listening audience to 60's screaming one.
I have seen every European tour, except -76, since ´73 and maybe the ´73-audience was the most enthusiastic.

Date: April 16, 2005 02:00

I remember an article in Rolling Stone in 1975 (1978) that was describing a 75 (78)
show in Kansas City (Forth Worth - Will Rogers Auditorium).

1972 had the wildest audiences, full stop.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 16, 2005 02:36

I dont know how anyone can seriously compare the audiences the Stones played to post-1969 to the ones they performed in front of in the early and mid 60's

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2005 04:15

Personal experience: 1981 L.A. Colliseum - my first Stones show.

Prince was booed off the stage ferociously and with a vengeance by the Stones fans, even having empty whiskey bottles hurled directly at him. He almost literally crawled off the stage with a whimper, making room for the J. Geils band and George Thoroughgood who definitely rocked the house.

Then...when the Stones hit the stage there was a hail storm of debris - beer cups, hot dogs, etc. that lasted for several minutes. It was complete chaos and definitely a sight to behold. I will never forget it, the Stones caused a complete eruption of enthusiasm.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 16, 2005 05:42

Hairball and I were at the same LA show.
I do remember the response for Prince.
Back then he played in his black underwear and a long
trench coat, not this purple nonsense.
I do remember George Thurogood peppering every song
with a reference to beer or BUdwieser.
And I do remember Bill's amp cutting out on Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 16, 2005 12:02

08-08-1964 Scheveningen, The Netherlands. The crowd DESTROYED the place!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-16 12:38 by Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: April 16, 2005 12:36

I think that the crowd in Latin-America is much more enthusiastic than the rest of the world. And maybe spain. They don`t care about their age and act like they are 20. I think that`s great and I wanna be one of them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2005 12:51

Melbourne 17th February 1973 (2nd show) .... the filthiest Rock & Roll show ever. Mick the red lipped, prancing slut along with an evil Keith, who at times glowed green under the lights, lead us all to the very edge of madness.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: salar ()
Date: April 16, 2005 14:16

i think Argentina 95 even topped the 98 shows..
I have Videos of both shows and although it is hard to compare,
the 95 crowd seems a bit more enthusiastic,

Regards
salar

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 16, 2005 21:09

Argentina '95
Argentina '98

Argentina 06?

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: April 17, 2005 02:06

all of em

john scialfa

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 17, 2005 07:07

1972. They even said it on the radio.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 18, 2005 10:36

I don't know about enthusiastic, but there was that concert in Blackpool in the 60s which culiminated in the crowd taking exception to Keith and rioting (when Keith kicked one of the punters in the face, if I recall correctly). I can't remember the year off hand.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2005 11:41

24th July 1964

A woman I used to work with happened to be in Blackpool on holiday that week, got tickets for the show and ended up in the front row,and proceeded to get caught up in the middle of the riot and had Brian land on the ground at her feet.

A week later she was at the show in Belfast that was abandoned due to a riot after only 8 minutes.

I think she probably gave up at that point!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 18, 2005 12:22

Since 1982: first night at Wembley 82 was a push and a struggle, remember becoming part of a human chain that went across the pitch jumping up and down to Brown Sugar. Santiago De Compostella was pretty wild too. Been in wilder crowds so I'm glad Stones audiences have toned down so you can enjoy the music and not try to survive (after the Pistols in 2002 I was bruised all over and had a black eye for example).

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 18, 2005 12:46

Birmingham odeon 73 two shows on the same night with billy preston as support act and he was good egnouth on his own, went to the 20.30 show as it was my first stones concert and still say it was one of the best espiecally with mick taylor.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 18, 2005 13:54

I have to say the two smaller venue shows from 78 and 81 in USA were redhot. The band, the room and the crowd. That was Palladium in NYC 78 with Patti Smith and the Fox in 81 in Atlanta. The 81 show was probably the best Stones show I have ever seen. And MAN WAS IT HOT!!! Musta been close to 110 degrees.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: April 19, 2005 22:58

Sorry I missed this one earlier

If you are talking single nights everyone will have a different opinion based on personal experience.

If you are talking tours.....1972, hands down. Rock was changing, the crouds were younger and pissed, stoned or both. In 72 you were going to a rock show to make noise.

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: April 20, 2005 00:17

MSG - 69

MSG - 72

Palladium - NYC - 78

Steel Wheels - all over the place

MSGarden - all tours

Date: April 21, 2005 04:50

Id have to say roseland, never have i felt more enegry in such a small room

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home