Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Queuing in Rome versus Astoria/ Vredenburg, etc.
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 6, 2005 19:32

With all due respect to pilgrins, I cannot help to compare - on a pure technical ground - the both queues, one to pay a last rememberance to the pope, the others to have a ticket or to be front row.

Well, it seems the flock surpass the fans in term of endurance : 24 hours waiting plus 3 millions expected to the funeral.

I admire these faithfuls, but it is a bit scaring too.

Re: Queuing in Rome versus Astoria/ Vredenburg, etc.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 7, 2005 01:41

It´s both religious: seeing the Pope and seeing the Stones. But I only want to see the Stones.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 7, 2005 10:11

If I had the choice to see the Pope or the Rolling Stones tonight, i would definetly go to ROM.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 7, 2005 12:17

Trivialising the death of the Pope to the level of getting tickets for a concert. Very sad.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 7, 2005 12:28

GR : I do not know which person you target, but my thread was not about pope's death. It concerned crowd, and capacity to stand in a line hours after hours.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 7, 2005 12:44

These people are queing to pay their last respects to their spiritual leader and you compare it to getting tickets for a concert as a technical exercise. What are you trying to say? That Stones fans show more or less devotion than the Catholic Church? Sorry but this is sad and a bit sick.

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: April 7, 2005 14:08

not sad and not sick, the man just asked a simple question about queing..

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 7, 2005 15:16

Well Joker, amigo mio, let me analyse for your benefit the situation present.

Here are some slight differences.

-With the pope, lots more people are there, yet everyone gets to the FOS section. (Who said the catholic church was inaccessible? They prove to be, at least for the moment, very open). Noone gets to shake hands though.

-I can imagine the spirit within the queue to be slightly different. To be honest, I'd love to be there right now.

-It's warhorses they come for. Tourists and believers alike. In that respect a stadium/field show is a better comparison.

-It's easier to go see the pope.

But the similarities:

-The crowd is equeally varied agewise.

-It's enduring the situation to be awarded with a one time experience (or seldom anyway).

I wonder about some things by the way:

-Are the tourists aware that they pass, when waiting in the line of the centre aysle, the preserved body of Pope John XXIII (+ 1963), who paved the way for modernisation? The late JPII had him brought up from the crypt in 2001 for the canonisation procedure and then put on public display behind glass. So they get to see two death popes in one day (actually, some more remains are on display in the St Peter, and they don't all look as good as John XXIII. Although perfectly preserved, the Vatican denied, for rational reasons, the occurance of the miracle of incorruptability.)

-Interested in catholic history as I always am, I recently stumbled across the somewhat forgotten rumours of Pope Paul VI being replaced by an imposter in the seventies. Some people appear to be convinced of this by the way, reffering to highly doubtable sources:
[www.tldm.org]

-Why can't the Dutch government/royal house bring up the decency to send someone from the royals to the funeral. All of Europe seems to do so, wheter catholic or not. Half the Dutch people are, although mostly not practising, born catholics. Even Prince Charles, head in spe of a catholic split off, is going and has moved his wedding. A disgrace. I´m far from fanatic or even true to the bible and you won´t find me in church every Sunday, but as far as I´m concerned, the Dutch queen can shove her jubilee present up her arse.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 7, 2005 15:19

Havo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I had the choice to see the Pope or the Rolling
> Stones tonight, i would definetly go to ROM.

Really? FOS is sold out. They stopped all the people from queuing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-07 15:19 by TooTough.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: April 7, 2005 16:02

Journalist Question : Dylan played with pope, now Stones play with Dylan, when the Stones will play with pope??

Keith : Kiss my ring!!!

Argentina 1998

Boys, this is just a nice topic... nobody is faulting the respect to anybody... I think so at least....

be HAPPY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home