Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Ron Wood the new Bill Wyman of the band?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 23, 2005 18:51

Reading the recent posts on Ron Wood makes wonder.

Maybe he is effectively elusive, evasive, like Bill during in his Stones time, you know what Bill said about his recording absences, "I'm not so selfish to replay something that someone has well performed before".

I mean, if it is works well like this, why bother. The Stones have been a loose band most of the time. It is part of their longevity's secret.

Re: Is Ron Wood the new Bill Wyman of the band?
Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 23, 2005 19:53

It would go against the first decade plus (1964 - 75) of his recording history, as he was a key member/writer with Birds, Creation (for 3 months!), the Beck Group, Rod's Mercury solo stuff, Faces, & Ron's solo stuff - as well as his first decade with the Stones, when he was heavily featured (including composing credits) & involved from SG thru '89. I assume the substance problems had much to do w/ his marginalization, & as with Brian the Glimmers used that to consolidate their own power bases - the preface to 'Old Gods Almost Dead' seems so true: "There is a continental divide between Mick on one side, and Keith and Ron on the other," - ok, as with BJ, Mick T, Bill, Gram, etc, Ron becomes ostracized by KR - "No one can cross that invisible line and be mates with both sides. Anyone who works for (them) and tries...doesn't get called for the next tour. You're over, baby...You havent experienced rejection until you've been rejected by the Rolling Stones." (yeah, ask Peter Rudge, Bill Graham - check his bio - Jimmy Miller, etc) The single exception? Charlie Watts.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 23, 2005 20:56

Very well put.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 23, 2005 21:07

I did not mean from the start, but maybe now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2005 23:40

The Glimmers write the songs, Charlie is the drummer and Ronnie will be called in when all is ready simple as that.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2005 01:10

well, for B2B they didn't call Ronnie, they called Waddy Wachtell.

Mathijs

Date: March 24, 2005 06:05

Well yeah they did rope in Waddy for Bridges but Ronnie also plays on nearly every track, so maybe it will be just the same for latest album.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 24, 2005 07:22

Regarding the use of Waddy on the Bridges tracks: Waddy played on "Keith" tracks and Ronnie played on all of them also. The tracks were recorded "live" and I think Waddy was used to avoid overdubs in attempt to capture the recording. Flip The Switch is a great example, play the song, catch the energy and if a mistake pops up.....so what.

The one thing I did find interesting is that KR is not credited with playing on Saint Of Me but there is one moment, just a second or two, coming out of the solo I think, where it sure sounds like Keiths touch was blended in. I think KR overdubbed a part but it just didnt fit the song, except for the few seconds.

I don't think Ron is the "new Wyman" in the band. Without a doubt he has been marginalized in the creativity department.....I think he knew that coming into the band. I read somewhere that he stated joining the Stones was easy....he didnt have to run the show, he could just play. Remember, he also was not a full fledged financial partner until the B2B Tour.

I think his health and substance addictions have caused the people around him to limit his time with and around Keith. Keith is in a perpetual alcoholic buzz, still smoking doobies and admitted last year to "opening his lab" here and there (heroin) for short peroids. KR and Ron have been mates for a long time. Ronnie played a big role in Some Girls, Undercover and was a very big stage presence up until B2B.

If there is a rift between KR and RW I think it stems from Ronnie not hanging out like he used to with KR like they have for 30years.Everyone knows how opininated KR can be. For all we know MJ & KR may just be writing songs in a fashion like they used to.......acoustic guitars, sketch out ideas (they did it that way for Steel Wheels then brought everyone in) and Charlie may be working on the promotion, design and production aspects since he is the first person to admit that he does not like to get involved with writing songs

Again....who really knows ? One thing is certain, Woody is staying busy right now and thats a good sign.

Milo, NYC
Can You Hear the music ?

Date: March 24, 2005 08:17

Yeah Milo... I'm a man of fewer words but that's basically what I meant.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2005 14:14

Milo Yammbag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding the use of Waddy on the Bridges tracks:
> Waddy played on "Keith" tracks and Ronnie played
> on all of them also. The tracks were recorded
> "live" and I think Waddy was used to avoid
> overdubs in attempt to capture the recording.
> Flip The Switch is a great example, play the song,
> catch the energy and if a mistake pops up.....so
> what.

Well, no. If i recall correctly Waddy plays on all songs except for Might as Well Get Juiced and You Don't Have to Mean It. From stories from the engineers Wood wasn't of any help delivering parts to the songs, and overdubs took ages. Therefore Waddy was called in toe help. On most songs I can only hear Waddy and no Ron. Good examples are Flip TS, Anybody Seen My Baby and Lowdown: these are all Keith and Waddy, and no Ron around, even though he si credited.

Mathijs

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 24, 2005 16:15

"Remember, he also was not a full fledged financial partner until the B2B Tour."

Ronnie actually became a financial partner or real member of the band during the Steel Wheels tour because Bill and Charlie said something to Mick. Its inthe book According to the Stones.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 24, 2005 16:23

You shock me! No Ronnie Wood on B2B??? How about 4 flicks? Did he play on the new tracks?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home