Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Continental Drift
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 28, 2009 07:25

This is a tribute to the musical spirit of Brian Jones - no more and no less.
It adds very welcome stylistic diversity to Steel Wheels and is just wonderful as a concert intro.
But it's still not my favourite song from the album.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2009 01:27

This is Jagger's surely. A touch of snobism
Anyway i like it,mainly because i associate it with Star me Up.
Excelent music for a concert intro with fire works............

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 22, 2009 02:49

The best song they've written since the 70s.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 22, 2009 05:24

I've always like this song...very haunting and etherial.

First time I heard it, was after 2 in the morning on a farm outside of Shefford England...the song always takes me back to that night...drinking beer and laughing with my friends. And then one of them put on this song from the new Stones CD...I believe it was the day it was released...I hadn't heard anything but the Mixed Emotions single up until that point...this was way before we had a CD player in the car...I had a copy of the CD I picked it up on the way to work (I was working a swing shift for the USAF)...

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 22, 2009 12:58

Brilliant song, great intro, great voice, perhapse the best one on the album.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 22, 2009 13:04

Good one for Jagger's solo album

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:23

I've got, ummm, mixed emotions about this track. On the one hand I'm really proud that they tried something so different and unusual, and I think this track effectively creates a cool, exotic, sensual mood. On the other hand, it's not as hypnotic as, say, Heaven, and I agree with liddas that the vocals are too prominent. Still, it is one of the better tracks on SW, and (as many here have pointed out) a brilliant intro for their shows on that tour.

Drew

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 11:00

I don't want to like this song, because it feels like a gimmick - even at the time it came out, they were clear about how it harkened back to Brian. However, it helped give Steel Wheels a lot more texture, and worked well as the intro music to the 89 tour, I'll never forget the chords of "Start Me Up" blaring out at the end of this, the explosion, and Mick and Keith coming out.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 12:21

It works well as an intro for concerts, but not as a song on an album. It is a filler, and one of the weakest. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Stones that I use to love and admire. Since I have the CD-version I am able to leave this one out (together with Rock And A Hard Place and the two under-par Keith-songs). Thank God for the programm function!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2015 14:04

Just listened to it....It was unfortunately just as boring as usual..thumbs down

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 13, 2015 15:36

KeithNacho

thumbs up

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 19:13

KRiffhard
KeithNacho

thumbs up

Not really. Keith was well into it too...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 13, 2015 19:38

I like that they are experimenting with different grooves and different sounds...a foray into world music with tempo changes and an interesting tapestry of sounds. Not my favorite Stones track but a pretty good example of the Stones stretching a bit which is refreshing in and of itself. Way better then them trying to write another Start Me Up and I like the message too...Love comes at the speed of light. Sweet.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 21:33

Naturalust
I like that they are experimenting with different grooves and different sounds...a foray into world music with tempo changes and an interesting tapestry of sounds. Not my favorite Stones track but a pretty good example of the Stones stretching a bit which is refreshing in and of itself. Way better then them trying to write another Start Me Up and I like the message too...Love comes at the speed of light. Sweet.

Yeh - agree with all that. Considering the time it was made - the Stones back from the brink, working together as a band and up for experimenting enough to warrant a trip to Morocco. Those days appear to be gone sadly. Maybe the track suffers a bit from an overly sheeny 80's production but I still like it and it's part of what makes Steel Wheels a really intersting Stones album. Plus it gave us the greatest intro music on ANY Stones tour (imo).

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 13, 2015 21:43

Fabulous track. It would fit on any Stones album.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 13, 2015 21:44

This is one of my favorite tracks, very atmospheric and transporting. And yes, it was really awesome hearing it on tour, cranked up loud in the darkness right before the flash and smash of the opening chords of the first song. Great memories.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: August 14, 2015 05:19

I am pretty sure Keith wrote the lyrics to Continental Drift. In 1988 I had a conversation with him about the speed of light, quantum physics, relativity theory. On the other hand Mick also is interested in such things.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 10:17

An odd winner. Tried something different, with a backwards glance, and it paid off big time. Atmospheric, moody and quite wondrous.

Did not fit on Steel Wheels at all. I would love to have more of this type of breakout song. Not an album full of them, but, more.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:38

ROLLINGSTONE
Bimmelzerbott
The Continental Drift intro on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour was the best intro on any Stones show ever.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd say Fanfare was better....much more exciting

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home