Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Their "golden era" 1968-1972
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:11

I cant understand, why always the time between 1968-1972are most mentioned as their "golden era"

Well, it was a great time, but i like their earlier stuff most. from their first Album til "Aftermath!! All their great Hit-singles like Tell me, little red rooster, its all over, now, last time, cloud, paint it black etc.. This was the time the Stones done very very good recordings. Whats your opinion?
BTW--my favourite is " Empty heart"

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-15 10:58 by bv.

Re: I cant understand, why always the time between 1968-1972are most mentioned as their "golden era"
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:35

I love 1963 - 1968/9 and I think the Mick Taylor period in particular is very overrated. It's great of course but I still prefer the earlier band.

There's a sense of naivety in those earlier years that seemed to have been severely diluted by the 70's. It happens to most bands, degrees of sophistication make them lose a lot of their original spirit.

Re: I cant understand, why always the time between 1968-1972are most mentioned as their "golden era"
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:03

The old era is 1962-2009. I just love the Stones. They are my life!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:59

in a nutshell it's because during that time all their albums were flawless and they replaced the beatles as the top rock band.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:13

In my opinion the golden era is '77 to '83, they truly were at their best both live and in the studio in my opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:20

I would also go for 77 to 83 for my favorite era.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:22

.....interesting take...and also maybe bittersweet as this is probably when the glimmers probably fractured their close friendship.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:29

I think I havo to agree with you, I also find '68-'73 period the best but must because I started in '68, but for sure they where good before that ...what about "What A Shame", I'm A kingbee, 19th nervous, It's All Over Now", 2120 South Michigan Avenue, If You Need Me, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, Heart of Stone, That's How Strong My Love Is and the whole Aftermath

Date: July 27, 2009 00:29

hmmm 1977-1983. well, i saw the stones in Anaheim in 1978--great show, missed the 1982 european tour , but Tattoo you is not Aftermath

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:32

Cuz it is quite objective that BB, LIB, Get yer ya yas out, Sticky Fingers and Exile are some of the best and most influential rock albums ever made by anyone

my favorite era is 77-79 actually but thats a matter of opinionssmiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:50

I guess it depends on your age and when you started with the Stones. The older you are the more you might dig the earlier stuff more than the more recent offerings.

I started in 1964 with Not Fade Away and for me from that time to the end of the Mick Taylor era is the best. However, I know that others will disagree, which is fine.....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:03

My older brother will be 65 next month, he only love them till '66 and the first album the most, think he even don't know to recall a song from Beggars, Bleed or Sticky

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:10

farawayeyes2
Cuz it is quite objective that BB, LIB, Get yer ya yas out, Sticky Fingers and Exile are some of the best and most influential rock albums ever made by anyone

Not to mention singles (JJF, SFM, HTW, and Brown Sugar) that are even better than the ones they released in the mid-60s.

Date: July 27, 2009 01:14

Mathijs
In my opinion the golden era is '77 to '83, they truly were at their best both live and in the studio in my opinion.

Mathijs

It's your opinion that Undercover is a better album than Exile On Main Street?

Date: July 27, 2009 01:14

yeah, I think there are thousands like him, but my brother---always a fan of the beatles, saw the stones 1998 in japan and said to me---"This was greatest show I ever seen

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:34

1968:
JUMPIN´ JACK FLASH / CHILD OF THE MOON
STREET FIGHTING MAN / NO EXPECTATIONS
"BEGGARS BANQUET"

1969:
HONKY TONK WOMEN / YOU CAN´T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
"LET IT BLEED"

1970:
"GET YER YA-YA´S OUT!"

1971:
BROWN SUGAR / BITCH / LET IT ROCK
"STICKY FINGERS"
WILD HORSES / SWAY

1972:
TUMBLING DICE / SWEET BLACK ANGEL
"EXILE ON MAIN STREET"
HAPPY / ALL DOWN THE LINE

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:42

I became a Rolling Stones fan through my father who only owned some records from the 63-66 Brian-era. For a good few years, the group stopped and started with Brian Jones. I was unaware of Ronnie Wood and had not even heard of Mick Taylor. It was a slow process learning to listen to and appreciate anything post- Jumpin' Jack Flash. I can remember taking back Let It Bleed because I thought the songs were too long!

Now, however, I appreciate and enjoy all eras of the band. If push comes to shove though, then I guess I still like those early Brian-years the best. That great run of singles from Come On - Jumpin' Jack Flash is still hard to surpass.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:59

Elmo
I guess it depends on your age and when you started with the Stones. The older you are the more you might dig the earlier stuff more than the more recent offerings.

That's right !
May be they reached their zenith at this period ?
May be the upper point of their performances on stage ??

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2009 13:15

With the benefit of hindsight that is now the period where their best loved work comes from. They became a rock band at the cutting edge of the business and were massively influential in everything they did. They also made four stupendous albums that still sound as good today as they did then.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 27, 2009 15:44

My favorite period was 1963-1968. It was by far the most creative period for the Stones, as they ventured from Chicago blues to mellotron-inspired electronica. They became huge during this time with the parade of smashing hits, from Little Red Rooster to Street Fighting Man. In my mind, 1969-1972 can't compare to the brilliance and magic of 1963-1968.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: July 27, 2009 15:51

For me Tattoo You is better than Aftermath.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 27, 2009 16:02

It's this simple - from Jumpin' Jack Flash to Brown Sugar they were a great singles band with huge selling chart topping singles with great albums too. Their first translantic #1 album was Sticky Fingers, followed by Exile (and then Soup and their last being ER).

The SONGS and the maturity of the band as far as being a blues based rock band is best represented from Beggars through Exile.

Certainly after that they started to change into something else. When they did Some Girls it seemed to be a new chapter for the band of being awake. Where as 73-77 was a chapter of haze, 78-83 was Bright.

68-72 vs 78-83? Two entirely different bands, songs and their stylings yet alone sounds. Which era is better than the other? It just depends on where you sit with it. I've always been a bigger fan of the 78-83 era because that's when I was young and getting into what they were doing then. It's fresher and more relevant to and with me. But I easily recognise that the 68-72 era is their finest movement singles, album, songwriting and performance wise period.

Date: July 27, 2009 16:02

Silver Dagger
With the benefit of hindsight that is now the period where their best loved work comes from. They became a rock band at the cutting edge of the business and were massively influential in everything they did. They also made four stupendous albums that still sound as good today as they did then.

Five stupendous albums, if you count Ya-Yas. Also, it was the events of 1969; Brian's death, Hyde Park, Altamont and the Gimme Shelter film, that forever put the word "legendary" in front of their name, as in, "The Legendary Rolling Stones".

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 27, 2009 16:06

If one looks at the various "golden eras" mentioned here with time frames like 1963-1968, 1969-1974 and 1977-1983 it becomes clear that every golden era did not last longer than app. 5-6 years after which the Stones obviously always needed some fresh blood or fresh wind to get their creative juices running again.

But wheres the fresh blood after 1983?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 27, 2009 16:18

rootsman
1968:
JUMPIN´ JACK FLASH / CHILD OF THE MOON
STREET FIGHTING MAN / NO EXPECTATIONS
"BEGGARS BANQUET"

1969:
HONKY TONK WOMEN / YOU CAN´T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
"LET IT BLEED"

1970:
"GET YER YA-YA´S OUT!"

1971:
BROWN SUGAR / BITCH / LET IT ROCK
"STICKY FINGERS"
WILD HORSES / SWAY

1972:
TUMBLING DICE / SWEET BLACK ANGEL
"EXILE ON MAIN STREET"
HAPPY / ALL DOWN THE LINE

exactly. Golden era because of great albums/singles and amazing live band.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 27, 2009 17:02

Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 28, 2009 21:39

I think Havo makes a very good point. The Stones were certainly at their peak in terms of consistency during the 1968-72 period, yet the earlier period did represent a greater diversity of sounds and influences and even if not everything worked necessarily, many of their early songs have been grossly ignored. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge seem to attract a much higher profile than Aftermath and Between The Buttons, despite the group appearing as pretty much a spent force by the 80s. I think much of this reason is due to the fact that the pre 68 material lacks sophistication.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2009 22:02

tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

It's your opinion that Undercover is a better album than Exile On Main Street?

That's a definitive no. But, Exile is Exile, an album so good it basically outranks any rock album. It set a standard that even the Stones could not match -or matched before.

But to be honest, I hardly ever play the album anymore. I crank it out loud 2 or 3 times a year, and then it reminds me again that it's the best ever rock album ever made. But I listen far, far more to the '77 to '84 period, and then not even so much the official albums. It's the Pathe Marconi outtakes from '77 to '79 and '82 to '84 that really gets me. It's the Chris Kimsey sound I just adore, and it features the band at its best musically -if you want to hear weaving listen to Wood and Richards in this period, and also at its most adventures, exploring anything between punk, rock, blues, disco and reggae. There really isn't a better live band to be found in the '77 to '83 period. The Pathe Marconi sessions are mostly recorded in a live setting.

I love the Boogie MkI sound, I love Charlie's Gretsch with China, I love Bill's grooving and walking bass, I love the coked sloppiness of Jagger.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2009 22:42

Albums aside, I still believe their greatest era singles-wise, is from 1964-1969 – basically, their Decca years.

They may have went on to release the likes of Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St, but that great run of singles that yielded such classics as The Last Time, Paint It, Black, Lets Spend The Night Together, We Love You, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, et al, is The Rolling Stones, IMO.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 28, 2009 22:52

someone posted it on another thread in simlar words:

1963-1972 best band ever. untouchable.
1973 -1983 very good band
1984 - 2009 good and still better then most of the other crap...

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home