Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Dylan out does the covers
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:17

I think the famous covers of Tambourine Man, Mighty Quinn, and All Along the Watchtower, while all strong, fall short of the Dylan's originals. Just a Thought.

Re: OT: Dylan out does the covers
Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:42

I have a hard time thinking of Hendrix's Watchtower falling short of anything, but there is always something special about an original version. Completely agree on other two songs, but also wanna give a shout out to the great Richie Havens for brilliant performing of Dylan songs.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:58

I prefer the Byrds folk-rock take on Mr Tambourine Man, as do I prefer Hendrix' rendition of All Along The Watchtower.

I don't like anyone's attempt at Mighty Quinn.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 09:09

Big Al
I prefer the Byrds folk-rock take on Mr Tambourine Man, as do I prefer Hendrix' rendition of All Along The Watchtower.

+1

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 20, 2011 22:36

Not 'Seven days' with Ronnie...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2011 22:44

Wanda Jackson - Thunder On The Mountain....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 20, 2011 22:44

Big Al
I quite liked Manfred Mann's take on it. As to Mr. Tambourine Man. William Shatner's version is definitive in my book....on second thought, not really!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 20, 2011 23:06

doubledoor
I have a hard time thinking of Hendrix's Watchtower falling short of anything, but there is always something special about an original version. Completely agree on other two songs, but also wanna give a shout out to the great Richie Havens for brilliant performing of Dylan songs.

yeah 'All Along The Watchtower' is still pretty intense to listen to, by Jimi Hendrix. I love Dylans' versions but that Hendrix take on it defined the song, for me..brought out the real power of it.

as did Johnny Johnson's version of 'Down Along The Cove'...with Duane Allman on dobro..
maybe its something about titles with 'along' in them...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 20, 2011 23:17

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as this may just be Urban Legend...

Do I remember a Bob Dylan quote when asked what HE thought of Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower" his answer was something to the effect of "That's how I'd play it if I could play it like that"?

Possibly that's just a myth that's been handed down. If not, it sounds like a pretty strong endorsement from the writer...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2011 23:18

Shott
I think the famous covers of Tambourine Man, Mighty Quinn, and All Along the Watchtower, while all strong, fall short of the Dylan's originals. Just a Thought.

Funny that you mention it..... as I was thinking about the same, the other day.

Jimi Hendrix steals the show (as he always did) for "All Along The Watchtower" . Even Dylan himself, says that his live versions of AATW is inspired by the great maestro in R&R.

When it comes to the Byrds "Mr Tambourine Man".....glad to hear that somebody enjoys it. I can't stand it myself.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2011 23:29

mr_dja
Do I remember a Bob Dylan quote when asked what HE thought of Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower" his answer was something to the effect of "That's how I'd play it if I could play it like that"?

Possibly that's just a myth that's been handed down. If not, it sounds like a pretty strong endorsement from the writer...

No myth, you are correct

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 21, 2011 00:10

Fairport Convention and Rod Stewart were great at covering Dylan's more obsure material but I wouldn't exactly say that they bettered on his renditions.Dylan has something special, something incomparable.that's why some people even find it hard to think of Hendrix's magnificent All along the watchtower as being better than the original.

Nick Drake also did a superb rendition of Tomorrow is a long time

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:50

duke richardson

as did Johnny Johnson's version of 'Down Along The Cove'...with Duane Allman on dobro..

google shows me that it was Johnny Jenkins - a pretty hot cut, thanks for mentioning it!

Date: January 21, 2011 05:02

Rockman

whoa now... is this from the new Jack White-produced album? I think this might be one to prefer over the original! Lead guitar is a bit over the top, though.

"... I don't give a dang about your dreams ..." heh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 05:03 by cc.

Date: January 21, 2011 05:07

.....And cool ta hear it changed from Alicia Keys over ta that Jerry Lee boy.....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 21, 2011 05:13

yep, she's thinkin' about Faraday but still crossing Tennessee...

Date: January 21, 2011 05:17

Wilco Johnson's From A Buick Six is a friggin' powerhouse rockin' thingo ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:35

Dylan's favorite cover of Dylan is Presley's 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time'.

George Harrison's 'If Not for You', Willie Nelson's 'What Was It You Wanted?', Manfred Mann's 'Mighty Quinn', Springsteen's 'Chimes of Freedom', and Hendrix' 'Like A Rolling Stone' are mine.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:04

ChrisM
Big Al
I quite liked Manfred Mann's take on it. As to Mr. Tambourine Man. William Shatner's version is definitive in my book....on second thought, not really!

I love Shatner's version of Mr. Tambourine Man! It's totally insane...as are his covers of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Rocket Man, etc. I love how Shatner sounds like he's having a nervous breakdown at the end of Mr. Tambourine Man.

cc
duke richardson

google shows me that it was Johnny Jenkins - a pretty hot cut, thanks for mentioning it!

I've got his cd, Ton-Ton Macoute...fan-friggin'-tastic stuff. I need to dig that one up and listen to it, its been a while. What a talent...Its a shame he never got more famous. Duane Allman's playing on that album is absolutely incredible,

cc
Rockman

whoa now... is this from the new Jack White-produced album? I think this might be one to prefer over the original! Lead guitar is a bit over the top, though.

Holy smokes, this is the first I've heard about this! I went to Amazon to order a copy, its being released next week. If this is even half as good as the album Jack White produced for Loretta Lynn, this will most likely be my favorite album for the whole year...THANKS so much for mentioning this!!!

Another Dylan song that's been covered a lot, by some major talents like Lenny Breau, Rory Gallagher,Davy Graham, Social Distortion, Doc Watson, even Elvis, is Don't Think Twice, Its ALright. I'm partial to Johnny Cash's version myself.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 07:11 by Keefan.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:31

Everything is Broken - Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Date: January 21, 2011 08:30

Reading this but still thinks Dylan out does the covers except for Seven Days with Ronnie..even Hendrix with All along... is over-rolled. Haven't heard Wanda so she can be the second that can make it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:34

24FPS
Dylan's favorite cover of Dylan is Presley's 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time'.

George Harrison's 'If Not for You', Willie Nelson's 'What Was It You Wanted?', Manfred Mann's 'Mighty Quinn', Springsteen's 'Chimes of Freedom', and Hendrix' 'Like A Rolling Stone' are mine.

Springsteen used to do a heartbreaking live version of "I Want You" in the pre-Born To Run days. I used to have it on a vinyl boot.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:55

I prefer G. Harrison's If Not For You and Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower to Bob's versions. But Mr. Tambourine Man in its original version is a cornerstone in the history of rock. The Byrds' rendition is a nice folk-rock tune, but Dylan's original is beyond any genre.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:26

in many cases dylans recordings arenĀ“t THAT workedout songs. he said that many of the covers are better than his own originals

Date: January 21, 2011 10:16

He does? Is that on tape so I can hear it?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:22

the best covers of Dylan songs are done by himself. Check out his live versions of Watchtower (2000s onwards), Down Along The Cove (2003/04), Seven Days (in 96), Tambourine Man (different versions throughout the years) etc etc etc

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 21, 2011 12:35

Now your talking

Elvis covers Dylan

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:10

cc
duke richardson

Jenkins! thanks for the correction!..its a good track.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:18

the Black Crowes do a scorching version on Crash on the Levee. Absolutely stunning. Isac Hayes does a very sultry Lay Lady Lay.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:36

Two other great cover versions are Bryan Ferry's A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall and the Faces' The Wicked Messenger. Not better than Bob's versions, but rather as good.

I think the same of Mr. Tambourine Man. The Byrds don't improve on the original but rather reinvent it in another, equally great, form.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home