Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: When did Keith become a Showman?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 20, 2009 05:07

As much I as I love Keef I must agree with this newbee

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 20, 2009 05:33

Must be his fingers man.... he can only play three notes. ANyone who has played guitar for 50 years and be regarded by some to be one of the all time greats and come up with a solo like this must be handicapped ... there is no other explanation... I hope next year when we read his penned autobiography Keef would tell us the truth, because like our frind below writes, this is not music. Rock n Roll its simple, on the surface, you dont have to be mozart to play it good, but you have to be able to play your heart and soul on your instrument... I can't hear Keith anymore, since 94'

Rory Gallagher
Hello guys, I'm a newbie, but this forum is great, thanks to all the uploaders. smileys with beer

I'm a big Keith and RS fan, but I can't stand his posings anymore. I'm a music purist too, and what Keith do now musically onstage is bad. He's often unable to play well.
Actually, I think without provocation that Rolling Stones (which is my favourite RNR band) are a parody of themselves since the end of the SW tour, and it's worse each year...

For me, they are a museum, but not a creative rock band since years, and the posings hide in my opinion an unability to play well: Keith play for photographs and cameras, not for public. OK, it's cool for the stadiums, but for music purist like me, it's very hard toaccept (and i hate music in stadiums!). So I'm very disappointed by what they do, and in particular by what Keith do.

For example, his solo on the Shine A light's version of Sympathy is really awful (but the album is globally very bad in my opinion):

Keith is out of tune, out of rhythm, he smile, but it's really one of the worst solos I ever seen or heard. Amazing. I can't even understand why they have let officially release that, or why they can tour whereas there's is a such incapacity to play: it's not correct towards the public. . It's not music, it's circus, and not Rock N Roll Circus unfortunately!

Sorry if this post hurts some fans, it's not my goal, i don't want to create polemic or bad vibes, just give my opinion! smiling smiley

All the best.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 20, 2009 06:09

That solo on SFTD is the worse EVER for any band or any artist, sadly it was released on CD, DVD and on theaters too. Embarrassing.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 20, 2009 07:12

keith should consider letting woody take over that solo in SFTD

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 20, 2009 07:25

melillo
keith should consider letting woody take over that solo in SFTD

Bingo!

A sober, yeah I know, and focused Woody playing most, or all, of the lead would have the Stones sounding good again. There's an ego in the way.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 07:43

After watching this travesty for the first time I'm glad I did not shell out the $$$ to see this on the big screen or even rent on dvd. Keith even knows his solo is shit. Mick is so busy over doing it that he is not aware of the music. Please take the time to get healthy and focused for the future so I want to go to another show in down the road.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 20, 2009 12:28

georgelicks
That solo on SFTD is the worse EVER for any band or any artist, sadly it was released on CD, DVD and on theaters too. Embarrassing.

Well, I think the whole performance is the probably the saddest representation of the Vegas Stones in their worst ever released form. Just to see Mick coming theatretically from the side, moving his ass idiotically - and if one finds that 'sexy' I advice to see the doctor - to front Chuck Leavell orchestra light show is just... so goddamn embarrasing. Keef's totally out of tune, handicaped "guitar solo" just ices the cake... "The greatest rock&roll band of the world"? Oh yeah...

There should be a law to prevent the Stones to "perform" this (with "Gimme Shelter") probably the most darkest, cleverest, nastiest rock&roll classic of all-time... It is just totally out of their rank these days. Leave Walt Disney the kid's stuff, for god's sake.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 12:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 20, 2009 12:41

That rendition of Sympathy For The Devil is truely horrible.

Keiths pathetic effort at a solo saddens me greatly.

Posted by: Rory Gallagher ()
Date: July 20, 2009 15:50

Doxa
georgelicks

Well, I think the whole performance is the probably the saddest representation of the Vegas Stones in their worst ever released form. Just to see Mick coming theatretically from the side, moving his ass idiotically - and if one finds that 'sexy' I advice to see the doctor - to front Chuck Leavell orchestra light show is just... so goddamn embarrasing. Keef's totally out of tune, handicaped "guitar solo" just ices the cake... "The greatest rock&roll band of the world"? Oh yeah...

There should be a law to prevent the Stones to "perform" this (with "Gimme Shelter") probably the most darkest, cleverest, nastiest rock&roll classic of all-time... It is just totally out of their rank these days. Leave Walt Disney the kid's stuff, for god's sake.

- Doxa
Absolutely agree with you and with the last posts. WHatever,I'm affraid the majority of the public is going to watch the Stones for a long time rather than listen to them...

Personnally, I'm not interested by their music since the 1981/1982 tour (and even since 1976 and even the Mick Taylor's era!), even if there's sometimes good stuffs. I listen each time to the new album, but once or twice only, then they are put on the shelves or (the most often) in a second hand shop.

Actually, I'm not even disappointed now, I don't wait for nothing from my favourite Rock band, which is problematic! I'm even sometimes angry because I find they don't respect the public: tickets are expensive, especially for "stadium music", and when we listen to the boots of the last tour, it's frankly not good, it's just show, but not music, in my opinion of course.

And about Keith, whom I love though, I'm angry because of course he has the right to have health troubles etc. But by respect, I think he should stop a bit, stop the posings and the publicity for Vuitton and work again the guitar and the compositions: a musician has always something to prove, if not, it's a death musician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 15:53 by Rory Gallagher.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 20, 2009 16:29

R u French ,Rory ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 20, 2009 16:45

SwayStones
R u French ,Rory ?
Absolument! cool smiley

I know, my english is really bad! grinning smiley

Date: July 20, 2009 16:46

melillo
81-82 tour IMO

I wouldn't say 81.He wasn't in the glam showman stuff .
And Keith doesn't make a lot of faces. I don't like the guitarists who make faces like they are doing something spectacular.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 20, 2009 16:54

Rory Gallagher
SwayStones
R u French ,Rory ?
Absolument! cool smiley

I wouldn't allow myself to say that ,Rory .winking smileyI just reckon French people- including myself - have the same way most of the time to translate word for word ...

It's not up to me to judge cool smiley.
Do I know you ?(so many usernames on boards....)

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 17:06

i think has alwasy been a mover. I've seen early footage and he's shaking his head, bending down, wild arms when he played... nothing new. if anything he has slowed down a bit.

Date: July 20, 2009 17:12

SwayStones
Rory Gallagher
SwayStones
R u French ,Rory ?
Absolument! cool smiley

I wouldn't allow myself to say that ,Rory .winking smileyI just reckon French people- including myself - have the same way most of the time to translate word for word ...

It's not up to me to judge cool smiley.
Do I know you ?(so many usernames on boards....)
Je te parlerai bien en français, mais ça ne serait pas poli pour les autres!

I don't think you know me, but maybe! I'm not member of a lot of forums: cocnerning Rolling Stones, IORR is the only which interest me, because I find Stones' fans are not here ayatollahs, telling "all the Stones do is wonderful etc.), you know what I mean?

I'm on some Hendrix & Rory Gallagher's forums too.

And I'm absolutely not a Stones' expert like some members here (I collect a bit the 63-76 period, and especially the Stones' music of the Mick Taylor's era that I love) so I learn a lot of stuffs reading this forum.winking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2009 17:22

The footage from Stones At The Max is crap because he was miming to the music to the point of looking like a total dork - he couldn't even fake playing correctly, missing cues and whatever, plus all the hopping around. That movie - Start Me Up is the only good thing about it. Otherwise it's total crap, except for the actual music.

You go from that to Bridges and there's a big difference - he's actually playing.

The Bang tour shouldn't be counted. That tour needs an asterisk by it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 20, 2009 18:10

harlito1969
i think has alwasy been a mover. I've seen early footage and he's shaking his head, bending down, wild arms when he played... nothing new. if anything he has slowed down a bit.

Actually Keith was the only Stone to move like a Beatle in the very early days - both Mick and Brian created their own personal style of movements, and Bill, well...

Keith cooled down in 1969 American Tour where he seemed really concentrating on playing - he just seemed to move naturally according to the rhythmn - and I think this was the style he had through the seventies. Very cool - not too much posing and gestures. LADYS AND GENTS movie is a great testimony of what I call his 'natural' movement. Or AUX ABATTOIRS. Even when stands still, he has somewhat energetic, moving, reflective presence - he and his body language is never 'boring' like, say, Mick Taylor. The change seemed to happen in 1981 tour when the posing really started, and perhaps partly affect into his guitar delivery. And it's been that way since that, only going more theatretical yaer by year (less music, more show).

But he is still special. Due his incredible charisma, he seems to get away from any limbos - like the "Sympathy" solo in SHINE A LIGHT. Sometimes even pro musicians are STILL impressed of his stage delivery - he seems to go beyond traditional quality standards, or that people are blinded by his presence (I have some stories to tell about this, but I save the people from them now). It's goddamn 'easy' to be Keith Richards...I think ANYONE else would be laughed out of court for playing so badly he sometimes does...

I think the matter is that Keith STILL is a really strong performer - and delivering music, or playing decent guitar, is just a part of it. Well, there is that interview from the early/mid-70's where Keith seems to struggle with the question if he sees himself first as a musician or as a performer, and he seems not to accept the distinction...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 18:17 by Doxa.

Date: July 20, 2009 18:20

Strong performer - yes.

Date: July 20, 2009 18:47

Doxa

Actually Keith was the only Stone to move like a Beatle in the very early days - both Mick and Brian created their own personal style of movements, and Bill, well...

Keith cooled down in 1969 American Tour where he seemed really concentrating on playing - he just seemed to move naturally according to the rhythmn - and I think this was the style he had through the seventies. Very cool - not too much posing and gestures. LADYS AND GENTS movie is a great testimony of what I call his 'natural' movement. Or AUX ABATTOIRS. Even when stands still, he has somewhat energetic, moving, reflective presence - he and his body language is never 'boring' like, say, Mick Taylor. The change seemed to happen in 1981 tour when the posing really started, and perhaps partly affect into his guitar delivery. And it's been that way since that, only going more theatretical yaer by year (less music, more show).

But he is still special. Due his incredible charisma, he seems to get away from any limbos - like the "Sympathy" solo in SHINE A LIGHT. Sometimes even pro musicians are STILL impressed of his stage delivery - he seems to go beyond traditional quality standards, or that people are blinded by his presence (I have some stories to tell about this, but I save the people from them now). It's goddamn 'easy' to be Keith Richards...I think ANYONE else would be laughed out of court for playing so badly he sometimes does...

I think the matter is that Keith STILL is a really strong performer - and delivering music, or playing decent guitar, is just a part of it. Well, there is that interview from the early/mid-70's where Keith seems to struggle with the question if he sees himself first as a musician or as a performer, and he seems not to accept the distinction...

- Doxa

Well ,it's very well said,Doxa.
But talking about the 1976 European Tour ,don't forget how much Keith was on dope ,so may be that's why he was so cool .I remember him as it was yesterday on the stage on June the 9th ,no moves,eyes like two black holes ,most often closed ,I called him "mon clochard magnifique "-my magnificent beggar - and he had to front the death o his child too.

Date: July 20, 2009 18:51

Rory Gallagher
.Je te parlerai bien en français, mais ça ne serait pas poli pour les autres!

I don't think you know me, but maybe! I'm not member of a lot of forums: cocnerning Rolling Stones, IORR is the only which interest me, because I find Stones' fans are not here ayatollahs, telling "all the Stones do is wonderful etc.), you know what I mean?

I'm on some Hendrix & Rory Gallagher's forums too.

And I'm absolutely not a Stones' expert like some members here (I collect a bit the 63-76 period, and especially the Stones' music of the Mick Taylor's era that I love) so I learn a lot of stuffs reading this forum.winking smiley

Saw Gallagher on stage many years ago.I liked it a lot ,remember his fingers on the guitar .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 20, 2009 19:07

from the very first second under the bright glare of the stage lights .because he was born a STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 20:11

I think the posing and showmanship went up a couple notches between '76 and '78. Then in '81/'82, he jacked it up again. When you compare Keith in '81 to Keith in the early to mid '70's, he's quite different. I think this was the beginning of the showmanship that we see from Keith today. I think he still played well in '81/'82 and even on the Steel Wheels tour, he was playing some excellent stuff. Some of his best playing, at least on a technical level, came in '89/'90, IMO. But as he's gotten older and his abilities have degenerated, the posing has gotten worse.

BTW, that solo in "Sympathy For The Devil" was pretty damn bad. I didn't hear him get out of key very badly (for Keith) anyway. I mean the biggest part of it was in E pentatonic. It was just bad because it was so repetitive. He played a variation on that first lick for just about the entire solo, almost to the end. I really would have thought that they would have overdubbed that one.

Date: July 20, 2009 20:22

Ronnie was playing very nice licks, etc... in that SFTD from SAL. He even throws in some licks that he did that appear on Love You Live. Ah well. And I thought I had some bad things to say about Keith! Damn, y'all are a tough lot.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 21, 2009 01:44

From the worlds greatest rock n roll band to the best garage band in town...I love em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-21 01:45 by ohcarol.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1295
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home