Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Exile Re-release
Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 12:07

Erik Snow
Why not release a "live-Exile-sampler" instead of a DVD.....they could include Rocks Off from LIVE LICKS.
What the HELL???? Are you insane? There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Why would you want more of the weak-assed, C-Grade musicianship the band has constantly offered since '81? Why aren't we ripping the band's collective arms off for the Holy Grail that is '72/'73 pro shot footage? A re package of Live Licks/Stripped? Jesus.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 12:17

Lorenz
I'd like them just to make it more louder overall. Add some compression, please. That would do the trick!

I agree - I'm usually against any tinkering with classic albums but as long as the original mix is freely available, why not try something different with the reissue?

Iggy and the Stooges "Raw Power" album got a total remix, and it was interesting to hear the album with a) a conventional mix, and b) some of the extended jams and previously cut solos. For me its the ideal halfway house between the Beatles Anthology and just repackaging the same album again, ad gives a great insight into the creative process.

Just dont follow the Heendrix Estate's model.....

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 31, 2009 13:25

Tricky76
Erik Snow
Why not release a "live-Exile-sampler" instead of a DVD.....they could include Rocks Off from LIVE LICKS.
What the HELL???? Are you insane? There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Why would you want more of the weak-assed, C-Grade musicianship the band has constantly offered since '81? Why aren't we ripping the band's collective arms off for the Holy Grail that is '72/'73 pro shot footage? A re package of Live Licks/Stripped? Jesus.
I'm sure he was sarcastic.

Date: May 31, 2009 13:26

astsu
Just heard a rumour that it will NOT be the Ladies And Gentlemen DVD, because of unclear copyright issues.

Heard that they will put together a DVD from the same filmed shows but with until now unreleased material. Extras may come from the filmed Dallas Rehearsals on June 22, 1972.
Where did you hear this? Just curious.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 31, 2009 13:35

LieB
Tricky76
Erik Snow

Thanks, LieB...I thought it was TOO obvious that I was being sarcastic there
It would be the disappointment of the century, releasing such a product. They might as well glued the CD to a stick at the same time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-31 13:38 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:25

Exile sounds muddy like Monet looks fuzzy.

I don't care if they sharpen up a few Monets but please don't "fix" anything with Exile.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:43

now this sounds promising indeed, and the dvd is better off not being L&G because we all have it anyway

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:55

camper88
Exile sounds muddy like Monet looks fuzzy.

I don't care if they sharpen up a few Monets but please don't "fix" anything with Exile.

good one...I just listened to EOMS in its entirety on vinyl yesterday....I dont find ANYTHING that needs fixing. ITS FREAKING BRILLIANT.

Buy a used vinyl copy, instead of this digital junk...

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-02 19:04 by stone-relics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2009 18:16

Let's assume they got a two hour video from the basement...that will be funn or more funn is a two our video of Anita's private swimming pool. (just kidding)

Still think the release of Exile must be something special

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 31, 2009 19:52

stone-relics

Buy a used vinyl copy, instead of this digital junk...

JR

What he said.
Exile in particular is meant to be listened to on vinyl IMO. I have never touched the CDs again after I got my vinyl copy.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 20:54

So the rumor is that we get another "version" of Ladies and Gentlemen in a sense? Not the original version but basically another version of the movie featuring different performances filmed at the same four shows in Texas? If this is true it's great news. I just hope it's true.

I wish they'd filmed Philadelphia or Charlotte or Akron or the holy grail of New York 7/26/72.

One good thing about this, if it is indeed true, maybe if they make a DVD from the left over Texas tracks, there won't be any overdubbing this time.

Posted by: kleenex ()
Date: June 1, 2009 02:26

skipstone
No man, they can't use that version of Rocks Off from Live Licks unless they unedit it.

Shine A Light from Stripped, not the stinkin' movie. Version on Stripped is a million times better.

The rest of it, yeah...and throw in Sweet Virginia from Stripped as well.

which in turn could be a good bridge into a DE Luxe repackaged set of 11 DVD set of the highlights of Stones DVD material released between 2003 and 2008. Would comprise FF(4) plus ABB(4) plus SAL(2) plus BONUS DVD of the making of this repackaged set ie interviews with the designer of the DVD case, exclusive footage of inside the pressing plant, "on the road footage" of the DVD's being dispatched from the warehouse.

This would be a big seller

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 05:22

No chance in HELL they release a video with Wyman and Taylor on it. Won't happen. It will be an Exile double cd with some bullshit dvd interview disc that will bore us to sleep.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 1, 2009 05:24

well if they ever plan to open the vaults they are going to have to include wyman and taylor at some point,or the vaults can never be opened right?

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: June 1, 2009 10:57

I don't want a new mix of Exile to replace the original either,because I love that album just the way it is, but if the record company (Stones themselves?) want to give us something more, worth calling a de luxe edition, and something that would be worth buying and not only just a rerelease f the same album for 5th time it would be lovely to hear a new mix and a couple of outtakes from the Exile sessions as well.
Mats

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 1, 2009 21:56

I hope this rumor of a live '72 era DVD is true...if so, I'll be buying this!!

Date: June 1, 2009 22:32

If it really is true that they will give us live material from '72 plus Exile outtakes, that's a major breakthrough. It will show that Jagger and the boys aren't just "fine" with releasing old stuff -- they actually care to do it for real.

But unfortunately, with their recent releases such as Rarities and the edited Rocks Off on Live Licks, I am still afraid that we will have to cope with more carelessness. It would also be the ultimate in disrespect if they try to minimize Taylor's and Wyman's roles in Exile, the '72 tour and any related material.

If I may whine a little bit more ... I also think that every Stones album that Universal now handles (except possibly ABB ) easily deserves this same treatment. Yes, Exile is their most classic record, but a live DVD and/or outtakes would without any doubt work well with all the other records as well. Imagine a Some Girls package with a live DVD from '78 and a selection of the best studio outtakes (they wouldn't even have to care about Mick Taylor with that one). I don't really wanna complain before we even know what they will give us, but if all these deluxe Exile rumours are true, there are still seven opportunities wasted (counting only the albums up to Tattoo You).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-01 22:32 by LieB.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 2, 2009 02:25

A dvd release with the exile re-issue? wot are the chances it's "xcocksucker blues"? i know the legend is great and the film's a snooze but wouldn't that be an ultimate "setlist shocker" for these re-issues?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 2, 2009 03:41

Wyman and Taylor have already been paid. No no big deal. Release away.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 2, 2009 12:16

Who needs LADIES AND GENTLEMEN when the bootleg DVD is a 9.75 out of 10.... I'll take a DVD with a ton of new, rare stuff on it...

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: June 2, 2009 12:24

How much of MSG was really filmed when Cavett's crew was there? We've seen the beginning and end, perhaps the rest is in the can somewhere?

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 2, 2009 16:14

LieB
Tricky76
Erik Snow

Ya think?

Date: June 2, 2009 18:03

Steven
How much of MSG was really filmed when Cavett's crew was there? We've seen the beginning and end, perhaps the rest is in the can somewhere?
I've also been wondering the same thing, but I think if the Stones release some '72 live stuff, it will probably be their own more professionally recorded material.

Regardless, those Dick Cavett clips -- officially available in pristine quality on the "Dick Cavett's Rock Legends" triple-DVD -- are amazingly good. I remember someone over at the Shidoobee forum contacted the Dick Cavett publisher (?) and asked if they actually had the rest of the show on film. I don't remember the exact response (as reported on Shidoobee), but they didn't wanna reveal if they had any or not. Sort of like "yes, but we don't wanna tell ya anything about it". Probably contractual restrictions on it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 2, 2009 18:26

There is nothing. We know nothing.

Posted by: martin1978 ()
Date: June 3, 2009 12:36

Which Concerts was filmed or broadcast for TV around the time for the Exile release???

Date: June 3, 2009 13:11

Maybe this one will be released on DVD

730217A 17th February: Melbourne, Australia, Kooyong Tennis Courts (1st show)
(Brown Sugar/Bitch/Rocks Off/Gimme Shelter/Happy/Tumbling Dice/
Love In Vain/Sweet Virginia/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/
Honky Tonk Women/All Down The Line/Midnight Rambler/Band
introduction/Bye Bye Johnny/Jumping Jack Flash/Street Fighting Man)
Note: The show was partly filmed by Australian ABC TV.

Date: June 3, 2009 13:12

or this one on DVD

740301A 1st March: Preview screening of the movie ‘Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones’.
Directors: Rollin’ Binzer & Stephen Gebhardt. Incl.
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Bitch (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Dead Flowers (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Happy (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Sweet Virginia (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- All Down The Line (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Band introduction -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Rip This Joint (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 3, 2009 13:38

^Those would be great but I doubt it...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 3, 2009 15:32

why would anyone want to remix a CLASSIC album ?

it'd be nothing short of heresy

its a classic because of what it already is

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 3, 2009 17:08

andy js
why would anyone want to remix a CLASSIC album ?

it'd be nothing short of heresy

its a classic because of what it already is

They did it to LAYLA. The result was a vast improvement however. I don't think the same c/be accomplished w/ Exile.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home