Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1978 Tour
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 5, 2009 09:37

The Sicilian
AKA the disappointment tour.

From the crappy opener "Let It Rock" to the string of Some Girls tunes that never seemed to end, to Mick's guitar playin experiment, and the short haircuts, and the afternoon shows that ruined the atmosphere of the concert.

I think that a good start.

I disagree. Let It Rock, IMO, is the best opener the band has ever done,
The Some Girls tunes was a pretty bold experiment to do at the time
(you could do it back then, not nowadays what with ticket prices and such).
Jagger's guitar playing was pretty much a prop for that tour and I thought
it worked great. After that, he looked really awkward with a guitar He had more of an attitude in '78. Short haircuts? Well, there's no crime in that. And most outdoor shows in the 70s were afternoon gigs. I seem to remember very few that were nighttime shows. All of the ones my friends and I attended back then were in the daytime. That's why they were all in the summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 09:37 by tomk.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 5, 2009 09:59

What bothering me in the 78's videos (and that's why I asked for your concerts testimonies which are sounds really interesting to my ears ) is that it's SO different from 1975 AND 1981 .And in both of these years they were using drugs but Mick's voice sounded really bad in 1978.
But the feedback is of course not the same if you saw them live.

Posted by: SirTweakAlot ()
Date: May 5, 2009 11:52

I saw the Anaheim show and remember "Love In Vain" with Rainbow sandals raining down on the stage....so many tossed by the audience,not that they were pissed.It was just a fun thing to do.

I was glad they played lots of Some Girls.That album to me when it was new was one of the last true "event" lp releases.It was on the radio and on every turntable of any party where I'd be no matter if they were punks,disco dweebs or rock dudes.

That's how concerts used to be.Pushing to be current and vital and not just delving back into the catalog.Yeah, it was rag tag at times.But man it was a spectacle.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 5, 2009 16:04

I read a story about the fourth of July and fans were drunk and rowdy, when the Rolling Stones refused to do an encore, the angry fans again trashed the red tongue stadium stage.
Where was it ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 5, 2009 16:37

Their best tour ever in my opinion. Pure rock and roll. Promoting Some Girls proudly
No back ground vocals shit, just Ronnie/Keith Two great guitar players instead of today clowns and rock and roll pianists with McL and Stewart.
The shit started from the Steel Wheels on and it become only worse

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:20

Sorry Scottkeef but I agree with Sicilian!! I was at that notorious Philly show when it was damp, Mick was sick with the flu, the crowd was horrific, totally manic, and I was never in love with " Some Girls". As a collection of tunes, I find it forgettable. I almost got killed at that show to boot! Not a fun day, and as Sicilian said, huge afternoon shows just don't cut it. No atmosphere. Plus, it was only 90 minutes!! I know I am speaking about one show but I also just never cared for the set lists from this tour, as a whole.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:43

Out of all the tours I hated this one the most. They played all that crap from Some Girls. Lousy stage. Lousy sound.
Mick as his lowest a a singer and preformer. I shutter when i think of it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:46

SwayStones
I read a story about the fourth of July and fans were drunk and rowdy, when the Rolling Stones refused to do an encore, the angry fans again trashed the red tongue stadium stage.
Where was it ?

Nope never happened. The show was at Rich Stadium outside of Buffalo. I was there and nothing like that ever happened. Another made up sory.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:55

78 may be the most polarizing of all tours. people either love it or hate it. I think its great. there are a lot of mixed attitudes towards 75 and 81 but not to such opposite extremes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 03:00 by ryanpow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:57

well 81-82 was pure rock n roll also, and we all know what happened afterwards, hello tom jones and elvis and welcome to vegas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 03:05 by melillo.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 6, 2009 03:27

The mention of the 78 tour having daytime stadium concerts got me to thinking that (unless I'm mistaken) the majority of the 81 stadium concerts were also daytime performances(I know both Dallas shows were). And talk about a huge dose of Jagger guitar-the 81-82 shows probably rank as the highest. While I appreciated alot of the older songs that were played on this tour that we hadnt heard in a long time, the 81-82 shows didnt rock like 78. Come to think of it-
most stadium gigs (at least in Tx) during 70s-mid 80s WERE daytime shows. It brings to mind all those "Texas Jams". And all done w/o the benefit of the "big screen"! Does anyone know what percentage of 75 stadium shows were daytime? I know Dallas(Cotton Bowl) was.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home