Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Marianne on Letterman tonight
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 5, 2009 04:24

I can take or leave some of her recent stuff, but I thought that Letterman appearance was really good. Terrific song too.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 5, 2009 06:39

I'm not familiar with her work but thought it was a good performance and a good s show. Dave continues to be on a roll by having a wide range of Interesting guests having Bill O Riely on the show that night also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-05 06:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 5, 2009 09:39

StonesTod
good band (is that Ribot on guitar?)...her vox are as good as they can be expected at this point. but a tuneless, nothing of a song....

Yes that was Marc Ribot doing a great job and a good tune imho (with nick cave doing harmonies on the record)

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 5, 2009 23:28

Well Dave made fast work of Marianne.

Enjoyed the majority of the above posts...giggling away as I read them.

Nice band but I found MF hard going. It as as though she has decided to try and achieve a sort of Bob Dylan crossed with Lotte Lenya sound...approach...whatever One could never call this evolved voice of hers "melodious."

I found myself wanting to listen to Shirley Bassey sing "Goldfinger" at top volume to get that MF stuff out of my ears. Unfortunately, Shirley is not in my CD collection. And you may be interested to know that Ms. Bassey was and assume still is one of Keith Richard's favorite singers.

Too bad. Don't you think a quality manager or producer that she would LISTEN to might be helpful?

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 6, 2009 01:06

it sounds like she may have had a stroke- its the only explanation.

OLDKR

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 6, 2009 05:48

Missed the Letterman spot; haven't heard an awful lot of her stuff, or the new album, but listened to Broken English the other day, and the title track, "Witches Song", "Ballad of Lucy Jordan", and her version of "Working Class Hero" still move me in a very visceral way. Great album, and still a fascinating musician, she is.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 27, 2011 17:20

mickschix
Great band, nice arrangement, terrible vocals!! I could only understand every third word! She looked pretty good though!

+1

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 27, 2011 19:23

mitchflorida
mickschix
Great band, nice arrangement, terrible vocals!! I could only understand every third word! She looked pretty good though!

+1
You waited a year and a half to say that?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 27, 2011 20:17

sweetcharmedlife
mitchflorida
mickschix

+1
You waited a year and a half to say that?

I have been stewing about this for quite a while and finally decided to publicly give my opinion on her performance.

Loved the group (more than the current Stones) but wow, she is battling with Yoko Ono in terms of singing performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-27 20:18 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 29, 2011 20:45

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 29, 2011 22:49

I just love that song Marianne played at Dave Letterman. I've played it like
5 times in a row. It's so f ucking beautiful.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 30, 2011 10:12

Lovely pic above.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 30, 2011 12:02

oldkr
talentless wheezing old windbag.

I'm glad she appears to be finally exhibitng the fact that shes a fraud founded on a fling and some smart marketing nearly half a century old.

OLDKR

Giggle smiling smiley thumbs up Yep I'm pretty much there with ya. God this woman is tiresome, and the voice ............ ugh !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home