Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Marianne's new album: "Keith helped me on my album out of guilt"
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 7, 2009 04:36

Memo From Tina Turner
I love Marianne but she has acted like a victim for the last 40 years. Time to get over it, Marianne.

Spot on, mate. She's been trading off that Redlands for far longer than any other talented artist would have done. I mean, Dangerous Acquaintances was the last powerhouse record. The rest is cabaret chanteuse stuf that's been done for years. Marlene kicked the sh(t ouf of it and Elaine Strick is still doing it.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 7, 2009 08:01

Heiloobaas, wasn't Marianne tagging along on the 1792 tour?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 7, 2009 09:50

scottkeef
Makes ya wonder about Mick going after Anita on the set of Performance later too!
Or does Mick just do that? Didnt he go after Gram Parsons wife in France(read that she shot him down quik!) I also remember something about a model on the 75 tour that was doing Ron and then went after Keith(or the other way around) and got dumped?Another girl on the tour warned her the band didnt like that?

And he nicked Jerry Hall off his then mate Bryan Ferry, and later Carla Bruni off his then mate Eric Clapton.

Date: March 7, 2009 10:15

Wild Slivovitz
Didn't Mick show up when the news about her illness spread up?

No that was Marsha Hnt

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2009 11:42

Maybe in retrospect she resents the fact that in the late 70's/early 80's the songwriting credits for SM enabled her to buy as much smack as she could inject (that almost killed her).
Maybe she's just a plain b!tch winking smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 7, 2009 12:02

Life isnt easy for anyone. Shit happens. Only thing is that when people are associated with the Stones or any other celebrities, they can capitalize on this shit for the rest of their lives because everyone listens.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 7, 2009 12:16

Stones NEVER do ANYTHING wrong!? DON´T YOU EVER say that! Oh my god...amen... fanatics...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 7, 2009 17:53

Faithful uses the Stones in every interview to get public attention! So I do not find it plausible if she feels mistreated.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 7, 2009 19:22

Only because that's all most brain-dead journalists ask about in interviews. In fact she sometimes refuses point-blank to talk about Mick.

"Dangerous Acquaintances was the last powerhouse record. The rest is cabaret chanteuse stuf that's been done for years." - Actually her last album was her best since Broken English & far better than most Stones albums of the last 25 years

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: March 7, 2009 22:30

shes a talentless windbag- has been for 40 years. If Mick hadn't dated her and she hadnt milked that fact she'd be on the streets (again)

OLDKR

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 7, 2009 22:43

Marianne Faithful should just know she was lucky to be pretty, and lucky to be connected to the Stones, and what has she done that is truly of her own (Mars bar possible exception), a bit of songwriting, and a bit of singing, but enough to make Keith feel guilty?? I doubt it. This is a classic example of riding coattails, like Bianca who.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 7, 2009 22:59

oldkr
shes a talentless windbag- has been for 40 years. If Mick hadn't dated her and she hadnt milked that fact she'd be on the streets (again)

OLDKR

OUCH!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 7, 2009 23:41

Bjorn
Stones NEVER do ANYTHING wrong!? DON´T YOU EVER say that! Oh my god...amen... fanatics...

Stones do wrong just like any other people do wrong in their lives. Shit happens. Only thing is that because the Stones are celebrities, everybody listens and every shit is blown way outta any proportions.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 8, 2009 15:53

I like MARIANNE. If you check out her CV she has had a very varied career - theatre, film, music, concerts, writings....how many Rock Gods have done that.
She upset Mick in the early 70's when she was interviewed for the Anthony Scaduto bio on Mick.
Scaduto had written a very creditible bio on Dylan (part approved by Bob), but his book on Mick was a disappointment.
Marinane was probably pretty stoned much of the time and its difficult to know how much of her ramblings were factually corect. Mick and Brian fighting (with knives) by the moat at Redlands etc.
She will have got paid though and she clearly had no money at the time.
But Mick was not impressed.
She's turned out o.k. Given up on drugs etc. In fact now sees the futility of the drug scene (and alcohol abuse). No spiritual awakenings or artisitic achievements ever came from that scene.....took a long time for the penny to drop though.

And if she's a bit self obsessed, flighty etc. Well, aren't they all. They live a cocooned life, surrounded by yes people, hardly suprising that (like politicians and Royalty) they seem at times to live on another planet.
At least celebrities can't wreck the world economies.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 8, 2009 16:27

Marianne needs to move on

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 8, 2009 16:30

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 8, 2009 18:38

slew
Marianne needs to move on

Blimey, thats the phrase people say to me when i mention this site!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 8, 2009 18:52

"Marianne needs to move on"

08/11/07 Tenco Prize Songwriter award

01/12/07 Nominee for Best European Actress ('Irina Palm')

General critical acclaim for recent albums, often exploring unfamiliar styles with edgy uncompromising singer/songwriters & musicians like P.J. Harvey & Nick Cave...

Just a brief snapshot which suggests she moved on long ago but some people here haven't in terms of their perceptions of her.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 9, 2009 17:54

If not for her association with Mick and the Stones, she would have remained a zero for the most part for the majority of her life. I agree with Lady Jayne; and I never even liked her voice at all. It was a whisper at best, now maybe a growl. Instead of being grateful for the FAME she received because of sleeping with 3/4 of the band, she bitches about Mick publicly. I have no use for her and resent the attention that she STILL gets! If she didn't have long blonde hair in the 60's, Mick and the Stones would never have bothered with her at all....talk about dumb luck and great timing!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 9, 2009 18:52

Quotes like this will probably guarantee that its the last time he helps her out by phoning in a simple overdub from his home studio to help her get a contract and sell some extra copies to diehard Stones fans.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 9, 2009 19:13

Good point, Rocky, as well it should be the last bit of help our boys give to the thankless witch!

Date: March 11, 2009 01:03

Rocky Dijon
Quotes like this will probably guarantee that its the last time he helps her out by phoning in a simple overdub from his home studio to help her get a contract and sell some extra copies to diehard Stones fans.

I don't think so.
Keith seems to be on at least talking terms with even Andrew Oldham, despite what that scoundrel did to the Stones all those years ago.
And, Marianne often quotes that Keith was a wonderful lover etc.
Now, what man could resist that comment?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 11, 2009 10:33

I respect her greatly as a great person, a great artist of her own and a survivor, but I need to say that she has "milked out" her Stones connection little bit too much along the decades. There is no Marianne article or interview where Mick Jagger is not mentioned - and she always seem to have something to say about the issue. It sounds like that she never got over the 60's. Perhaps she "lost" way too much... she was the hottest of the hottest then, Jagger's muse, and every top musician from Dylan and Hendrix to Pete Townshead
fancing her... Perhaps it all was over sooner she realized, and she somehow tried to explain the loss by blaming the over-hyped Redlands scandal with Mars bars, and Jagger in person for that. Surely she had her impact on Jagger - like the muses do - but I don't go too far in stressing that. For example, giving one a great book to read, and thereby - probably - making one to compose one of the greatest songs of the decade is not actually SUCH a big contribution. It tells more of Miick's artistic nose to pick up an intersting theme after reading a book. From wher he got the book is quite secondary and contingent. And what goes for Marianne actual contribution, the role of "Sister Morphine" in the Stones catalog is not such a huge one, either. Much bigger is the role of "As Tears Go By" in Marianne's career.

Like noticed in this thread, Marianne's recollections of certain "Stones moments" do change along the years. This is true especually when actual music making is concerned. For example, she changes quite essentially the story of the origin of "Ruby Tuesday" between her two biographies. In the first one she attributes the song totally to Brian Jones, but changes this radically in the second one. This IS important because many people who think "Brian wrote "Ruby Tuesday"" do base their belief on Marianne's (first) story. She is the only "witness", so to say, to give any evidence to the belief.

In her first bio (FAITHFULL or FAITHLESS is it called?) she also gives some other quite hazy stories of how Mick wrote many of the Stones classic songs for her/about her/to impress her, etc. For example, Mick wrote "Let's Spend The Night Together" after his first night with her... the problem is that someone named Keith Richards claims for making the song... "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was about Marianne, and so on... (Jagger wrote this or some other gem to beg her to not leave him, etc.). I think there is a bit too much "romanticism" involved in these stories to really base any firm beliefs of the creation of the song. At least in her first bio - I haven't read the second one fully - there is too much "artistic freedom" used there to write an exciting story of the mythical and lovely person called Marianne Faithfull. It is a nice, well written story, though.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 10:47 by Doxa.

Date: March 11, 2009 10:46

In regard to Scaduto (1973?) book of Jagger where Marianne is the "key witness" it is interesting how upset not just Mick, but Keith Richards was about the book. Keith overtly complained why, of all persons, HE was not asked anything about Mick. Keith seemingly was not very impressed of the evidential base of the book, and if my my memory serves me right, he also questioned Marianne's testimony.

This was still the time when Mick and Keith probably still had some kind of brotherhood blood between them, even though the scenes were getting ugly. Perhaps these days Keith would be a great source to hear Marianne-like stories of Jagger if asked for a new Scaduto-like book...

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2009 13:39

Ahhhhh one has ta survive the best way one can ... Good luck to her
Hell when ya look at it Curly & Moe have always lived off the genius of Larry ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2009 15:40

Doxa: Some good points.
Lets not forget though, that reporters/interviewers/editors are very selective about what they summarise in the finished article. In a TV interview the interviewer is in the driving seat (unless questions agreed beforehand).
So Marinanne has to deal with the Stones related questions when she'd probably rather talk about life in Paris, the recording of her new album, product or whatever.
It must be as tedious for her -as the viewers, but then she isin plugging mode, so fair game I guess.
Check interviews with Keith in the past: How many drone on about his "druggie" past, the busts etc. Tabloid stuff really.

By the way, Ruby Tuesday - written by Keith for Linda Keith I thought?
Although he has said it was about a groupie (which Linda wasn't, well, not really)

Date: March 11, 2009 18:14

jlowe
Doxa: Some good points.
Lets not forget though, that reporters/interviewers/editors are very selective about what they summarise in the finished article. In a TV interview the interviewer is in the driving seat (unless questions agreed beforehand).
So Marinanne has to deal with the Stones related questions when she'd probably rather talk about life in Paris, the recording of her new album, product or whatever.
It must be as tedious for her -as the viewers, but then she isin plugging mode, so fair game I guess.
Check interviews with Keith in the past: How many drone on about his "druggie" past, the busts etc. Tabloid stuff really.

By the way, Ruby Tuesday - written by Keith for Linda Keith I thought?
Although he has said it was about a groupie (which Linda wasn't, well, not really)

Yeah, that's true of being limited of the interviewer's interest and edition decisions.. the same thing hold, maybe even stronger, with the case of Bill Wyman - it looks like the interviewer has said to him, "okay I interview you and tell about your latest intrests if you but promise to mock some Stones" (or Bill knows this beforehand)... And very true what you said of Keith - but Keith also seem to know it and knows how to entertain the press... I think all these people know very well how to deal with the press, and don't really care what it is claimed there. At least it looks to me that they don't take very personally at all what they say of each other in the media (expect Elton John...grinning smiley) Maybe they did some thirty years ago, but not any longer. One could, for example, think that what Wyman has said of the current Stones might do something to the relationship between Bill and the rest today, but seemingly they are all good friends still (that's the impression I have got, anyway). They know the name of the game how to get your photo in teh paper and sell some of your latest products, etc.

(of "Ruby Tuesday" - I believe Keith on this matter. Maybe Brian helped him with the melody to shape it together or something like that - they, Brian and Keith were hanging quite a lot at the time - but that is goddamn far from the (ridiculous) claims by Marianne told in her first book! Being it about Linda Keith or some groupie is quite secondary - the point is Keith talks about a song made by him.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 18:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: March 11, 2009 19:17

Coattail rider!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: March 11, 2009 19:25

The situation i ridculous.
How many of the guys here pay attention to gilr friends from the teenage years some 10-20-30-40 years ago - I guess nobody.
Most of us don't even remember it too well.
So, Marianne's claims are nonsens, but a good trick to get attention in her late years - making people connecting her with Stones and sell some records.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 11, 2009 23:02

Rock, you made me laugh. Again! Larry never got the credit he deserved.
The least Marianne can do is mention him on her next album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1256
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home