Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
O.T- Michael Jackson's residency at the O2 Arena
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 4, 2009 17:13

How times have changed: Only a handful of fans wait to see Michael Jackson as he plans to announce London gigs

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

London shows: Michael Jackson will perform at the 02 arena for two months this summer in a £100million deal

In his heyday, Michael Jackson's arrival to London would have commanded hoards of screaming fans desperate to catch a glimpse of him.

But after touching down in the capital yesterday ahead of announcing a UK comeback, just a handful of people lined the streets outside his hotel today hoping to see the fallen popstar.

The U.S singer will take over London’s O2 arena for two months this summer after signing a deal worth more than £100 million, it has been revealed.

The 50-year-old star, who will formally announce the concerts at the venue tomorrow, will earn the extraordinary amount for the residency scheduled for June and July.

The deal, which a source said could go 'up to 50 nights', was hammered out this week following months of negotiations between the singer’s representatives and AEG, operators of the 20,000 seater-venue.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith also played a key role.

They will be the only concerts Jackson performs in the world this year and tickets will be priced from £75 upwards.
They are his first major performance since his acquittal on child abuse charges in 2005.

It will be the longest run of shows by any one act since the venue beneath the former Millennium Dome opened in 2007.

It is the type of deal which until now had only been seen in Las Vegas, where both Elton John and Celine Dion have had long-running residencies which were established by Frank Sinatra.
A source is quoted as telling London's Evening Standard that Jackson negotiations have involved a series of ‘creative commercial opportunities’ connected to the residency, which could include a new album being given away free to fans, a share in merchandise sales and an official DVD of the shows.

The ‘King of Pop’ is said to be finally putting the finishing touches on his first new album since 2001, and has collaborated with songwriters Kanye West, Will.I.Am and Ne-Yo.

Waiting game: Photographers, and the odd fan, outside the Lanesborough Hotel, Hyde Park, today hoping to catch a glimpse of former king of pop

The source continued: 'Michael Jackson will not be playing anywhere else in the world so there will be huge demand for tickets.

'The exact number of dates are not finalised yet but could go up to 50. He will have no problem selling out that many shows.'
Jackson performs on stage during the 2006 World Music Awards in London in November 2006

AEG are thought to have received reassurances about Jackson’s health after he was photographed in Las Vegas just before his fiftieth birthday last August, dressed in pyjama trousers and looking gaunt.
When Jackson last appeared in London at the World Music Awards in 2006 he looked frail and was only able only to mime to a few bars of We Are The World before leaving the stage.

The source added: 'Performing live is what Michael Jackson does best and he is a professional entertainer.

'He wouldn’t be going in to this if he wasn’t feeling 100 per cent up to it.'

The lucrative tour will be a welcome boost to the singer who is reportedly over £100 million in debt.

He is also clearing out his Neverland Ranch in an auction next month.

Over 2000 items - including the property’s gates - will go under the hammer during the five-day sale in Beverley Hills.

Amongst the items being sold are the sequined glove he wore in the 'Billie Jean' video, a customised Harley Davidson and a Rolls Royce limousine.
In 2007, Prince performed a 21-night stint of sell out shows at the 20,000 seater-venue and gave away his new album free to fans - a promotions which proved to be a great success given the decline in music sales.
The Outside Organisation, the agency which represents Jackson declined to comment.

AEG declined to comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-04 17:14 by Adrian-L.

Re: O.T- Michael Jackson's residency at the O2 Arena
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 4, 2009 17:43

Whilst Off The Wall and Thriller are both excellent and groundbreaking, I would only see Michael Jackson out of curiosity. What he could offer 25+ years ago, he can surely no longer do. Just what would a 21st centuary performance be like? In his current state and poor health, can anyone really see him dancining and singing on stage? Would his body not fall to pieces? This could be interesting...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 4, 2009 17:47

good luck to anyone involved in this train wreck

Date: March 4, 2009 17:54

wildly optimistic, to suggest he'll do 50 shows.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 4, 2009 18:08

How many people would literally move to London if the Stones would take up residency at the O2.

Date: March 4, 2009 18:11

Michael Jackson picking his nose

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 4, 2009 19:24

drbryant
How many people would literally move to London if the Stones would take up residency at the O2.

...at the prices the Stones charge, they'd have to sell their homes first.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2009 19:48

drbryant

the way property prices are plummeting, a Stones ticket may end up being more expensive than the value of the house

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2009 19:54

Big Al
Whilst Off The Wall and Thriller are both excellent and groundbreaking, I would only see Michael Jackson out of curiosity. What he could offer 25+ years ago, he can surely no longer do. Just what would a 21st centuary performance be like? In his current state and poor health, can anyone really see him dancining and singing on stage? Would his body not fall to pieces? This could be interesting...

Maybe he's hoping to be the first artist in history to perform at various parts of the same arena at the same time.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: March 4, 2009 20:44

The freek show returns to london.
Handy for anyone in london that needs a babysitterwinking smiley

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 4, 2009 21:54

I went to see him at Wembley once. He never turned up. Not that I cared.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2009 22:54

Bloody hell. Years ago I made the deal with my lady to get her to her first Stones concert (which turned out to be Twickenham, by the way) that if Michael Jackson will ever perform again in Europe we will go to see him. He used to be her big idol back in the 80's.

It looks like London calling soon. Damn...

- Doxa

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 4, 2009 23:20

I think there's an announcement of some sort scheduled for 4:00 pm local time tomorrow Thursday 5th, I thought I heard on the radio that it was gonna be made at the O2 itself ...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2009 23:41

Didn't we already have a thread about this?...One was bad enough,do we really need twosad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: March 4, 2009 23:59

50 shows? I think NOT

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 5, 2009 00:15

It will be a surprise if he does do that many......

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 5, 2009 00:59

I think its 1 show, 50 kids.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 5, 2009 01:14

Doxa
Bloody hell. Years ago I made the deal with my lady to get her to her first Stones concert (which turned out to be Twickenham, by the way) that if Michael Jackson will ever perform again in Europe we will go to see him. He used to be her big idol back in the 80's.

It looks like London calling soon. Damn...

- Doxa

That´s gonna be a tough year for you,Doxa.
Tina,Jacko,...,what else did you promise your lady ? eye rolling smiley

Oh no,just reminds me mine talking some years ago about the wish to
see a U2 show...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 5, 2009 06:14

OK, this came up without me even looking for it. I saw this thread and now I'm seeing stuff:

[www.foxnews.com]

'Jackson’s first shows will be on July 9th and 10th at the O2 Arena. R&B superstar NeYo has already booked July 11th, so Jackson will skip that date. But after that, the rest of July is free on the O2 calendar. The first round of Jackson shows calls for 10—as this column has reported exclusively several times. The next eight shows will be scattered through the month.

Sources inside AEG Live assure me that the tickets will be priced within reach. Of course, there will be VIP packages, and all sorts of things that could make individual tickets cost as much as $1,000. But those deals would include private sessions with Bubbles the Chimp, that sort of thing.'

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2009 09:39

shortfatfanny

see a U2 show...

Yes, a tough year - even though I spoke myself out of Tina with valid arguments (the ones I shared here, too...).

But you know the saddest part of the story: all this is done to get few more tickets to be sold to to help Jagger & co over the rainy days... In fact, isn't this Jacko thing the most strongest evidence of my loyalty to the Stones... Ready to do anything...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-05 09:42 by Doxa.

Date: March 5, 2009 11:19

Michael Jackson: Health fears over O2 arena concerts

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Michael Jackson was made to take a 50-part health test to ensure he will be fit for his series of comeback concerts.

The 50-year-old has announced he will play a string of dates at the O2 Arena (formerly the Millennium Dome) throughout the summer.

But there are growing fears that the Thriller singer will be unable to complete the shows after pictures emerged showing him looking increasingly frail.

His insurers apparently ordered the health tests following concerns that they could be left short-changed if he fails to finish the concerts.

A source told the Daily Mirror: "Every physical test under the sun was done to ensure all bases were covered.

"They are confident his health is good enough to perform."

The US singer will perform as many as 30 shows back to back - his first major shows since he was acquitted of child abuse charges in 2005.

Tickets are expected to cost from £75 upwards and it is estimated that he could net around £1.5million per show - going some way to helping him clear his reported debts of £100million.

Jackson is currently staying in the £5,000-a-night Royal Suite at London's Knightsbridge Hotel.

Jackson has kept a low profile since his acquittal in 2005 of child sex abuse charges, but is thought to be in dire need of funds.

The singer has been forced to close his Neverland ranch and recently announced an online auction of more than 2,000 of his possessions.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 5, 2009 15:29

Walking with Dinosaurs
Cliff Richard and the Shadows
Michael Jackson.....
..surely there is a slot for Mick and his gang at O2?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2009 15:45

Waiting game: Photographers, and the odd fan, outside the Lanesborough Hotel, Hyde Park, today hoping to catch a glimpse of former king of pop

Imagine standing around all day hoping to catch a glimpse of the former king of pop. "Odd" fan indeed.

Date: March 5, 2009 16:13

Fox news sucks.

Date: March 5, 2009 16:51

[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

Michael Jackson is expected to announce a string of London comeback concerts today, but there are doubts as to whether he can draw big enough audiences to sustain the run.

The onetime King of Pop is to appear at London’s 02 Arena this afternoon to make a “special announcement”, widely thought to be a summer residency at the 20,000-capacity venue.

But Jackson’s crowd pulling power is now in doubt after his arrival in London on Tuesday failed to whip fans into the type of frenzy once synonymous with his presence.

Although word spread quickly that he was staying at the luxury Lanesborough Hotel, yesterday there were only around 100 fans, and an eager Jackson impersonator, milling about outside, hoping for a glimpse of the singer.

Before a child molestation trial, money woes, and a series of exposes on his odd lifestyle sent his career into freefall, the child performer turned Eighties and Nineties superstar was consistently swamped by admirers.

With VIP ticket prices for his 02 concerts expected to cost up to £1000, fans will have to put their faith and finances in a man who has a series of disastrous comeback attempts behind him.

He suffered stage fright at the 2006 World Music Awards, held in London, and was unable to perform his smash hit Thriller. Another singer had to step in before Jackson shuffled on stage and got through just one verse and one chorus of We Are The World.

Last year, he attempted a recording comeback, collaborating with Black Eyed Peas star Will.i.am, but the track drew little interest.

Jackson is believed to be keen to take a long residency at the 02, which could fetch him up to £50 million, because of dire financial problems.

Last year, the singer lost possession of his famous American ranch Neverland and yesterday filed a law suit against an auction house charged with selling the belongings recovered from the property.

He has also faced a legal fight with Bahrain’s Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad al-Khalifa, who accused him of reneging on an agreement. The pair settled out of court.

Jackson faces a further law suit from Thriller director John Landis who claims he hasn’t received his share of the famous video’s profits for four years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-05 16:52 by Adrian-L.

Date: March 5, 2009 16:56

Ha ha. An old poster. What's that on his arm, gauze?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 5, 2009 17:24

Doxa
shortfatfanny

see a U2 show...

Yes, a tough year - even though I spoke myself out of Tina with valid arguments (the ones I shared here, too...).

But you know the saddest part of the story: all this is done to get few more tickets to be sold to to help Jagger & co over the rainy days... In fact, isn't this Jacko thing the most strongest evidence of my loyalty to the Stones... Ready to do anything...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Indeed,Doxa,you´re right.
That´s really "on top" concerning Stones loyalty.
But it also reveals obviously your deep love to your lady.
You could ´ve easily found enough arguments against that Jacko Happening -
but ,no : you keep your promise.

She must be really proud of you,good for you both,I suppose.smiling smiley

Date: March 5, 2009 17:29

Posters have started appearing in London. Hard to say at this stage whether these shows will turn out to be THRILLERS or just plan BAD.....
Press conference in half an hour, all will be revealed!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:44

Manofwealthandtaste

Posters have started appearing in London. Hard to say at this stage whether these shows will turn out to be THRILLERS or just plan BAD.....
Press conference in half an hour, all will be revealed!

You gotta see the man really, dontcha ? I'll give him a whirl if I'm around - for sure. Gotta see what all the hoopla's about. I can't imagine he'd actually put himself through this if there was any doubt (at least in his mind) that he'd actually be able to deliver. This is supposed to his "comeback" after all, not a "let me fall flat on my face in front of hundreds of thousands of people" series of spectacles !!

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: March 5, 2009 18:50

Odds already posted 5-1 against that he will show up for the first show

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home