Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: The Decline of the Stones: Mick's singin' or Keith's playin' ?
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 9, 2009 12:34

"hush-hush around The Rolling Stones: that no-one - the band, the fans - do not really want to face the fact"

Eh, have you read this board lately? You'd think the end was nigh. Doom, gloom! The stones are a rock n roll band still achieving arguably more than any other band of there genre. Appreciate it whilst it last cause it won't be around forever.

Yeah the act is not what it once was but then is anyone?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2009 12:49

NickB
Oh well we'll agree to disagree and agree that the Stones are still a mighty fine band even when they're not on form.

That is true. There is so much charisma and musical personalities - not to forget the song history - invested in that band that in a sense they always make a difference. I think that is the only true positive learning of SAL movie: to feel how the plain charisma moves the music forward, even though technically the are suffering all the way through, and Jagger's soulless athletism will bore out even the last of his true fans.

I remember watching the movie and there was this couple behind of me, not any big Stones fans seemingly. after the movie the girl (in her twenties I think) say to the guy that "That Keith Richards is such a magnetic character, but Jagger leaves me cold. He is so energetic and all, but I don't know. He doesn't touch me in any way." I can agree with her. I think the work-out athletism, that takes the idea every bit of creative energy is directed to worked out movements and cliches, has really all dried out all the excitement and true vitality of Jagger's performance, or to use the word not much used lately to describe Jagger's presence: 'sex'.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-09 12:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 9, 2009 13:17

I always laugh when people say mick is saving/conserving his voice. For what? He barely sang a note in "Shine A Light" which is surely going to be used as a document to what the Stones were about in their latter career. Is he saving it for an album he'll sing on every five years? Mick has perhaps taken so many singing lessons that he has trained every inch of character and edginess out of it.

Date: February 9, 2009 14:36

Wasn't he ill just before hand?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 9, 2009 14:42

ablett
Wasn't he ill just before hand?

feigned illness,skipping gig(s) with ticket paying customers, more like.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: February 9, 2009 16:09

I only speak the truth - not here to cause trouble. Keith cannot play anymore plus they have 100 people on stage with them.

Again, can they do what The Who do? If so, do it!

Date: February 9, 2009 16:18

I can't be arsed, your a plank!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: February 9, 2009 16:22

I believe many would be less critical of the band if they charged cheaper tickets AND put some real effort in to their shows. For £150 per ticket i just don't expect to be able to SEE them, i expect the performance of a life time. The simple fact is of late this just has not happened.

And for all those who go on about the 'Stones bashing'... people are highlighting problems because they care deeply about what happens to the band (and its legacy).

Date: February 9, 2009 16:43

LastStop hit the nail on the head (Hope he did not offend ablett - wouldn't want to see that happen as it is a different opinion)

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: February 9, 2009 16:58

The decline has a name: aging. Keith cant`play anymore so he just pose. Mick is in very good shape but he is no longer spontaneous on stage.

For me the decline is evident after 1990, altought they delivered good songs and concerts since there. Keith was in good shape in 89/90. Listen to the SFTD solo.

The decline is also more evident because the Stones want to do what they ever did. Big stage gigs, with Mick running all over the stage. That is not possible anymore.

The phisical decline is a normal thing but they could maintain their creativity.

The most important thing for me is that the Stones will always be on their peak. You just have to listen some boot from 72/73 or play Hampton 81 on dvd to be astonished with their performance.The Stones are immmortal.

Date: February 9, 2009 17:23

LastStop hit the nail on the head cause he didn't post total tosh.....

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:40

A combination of various factors:

1) Commercial reasoning obviously drives any of their moves, resulting - among other things - in a live show concept (setlists, line-up, arrangements) that is tailored towards the tourists. Routine and boredom have drowned out any spontaneity, creativity and joy; SFTD is the best example of this, they obviously hate it themselves but the masses are supposed to expect it from them. Who is to blame? I blame Mick for his greed and his conservatism, but much more do I blame Keith for his bigotry in enjoying both the wealth and the outlaw image and for taking a convenient back seat.

2) Keith's lost playing ability, maybe due to mental damage rather than to arthritis (to me, his self-indulgent posing on stage indicates there is something wrong with his perception of reality in general or at least with his ears, otherwise he would notice the embarrassment and hide away rather than expose himself; let alone the repetitive rubbish he talks in interviews..)

3) Mick's drifting into the "nasal" singing mode for most of the time that makes his vocal performances often unlistenable

4) The lack of a functioning rhythm section. Blondie Chaplin more or less compensates for Keith's absence, but Charlie Watts does not form a unit with Darryl Jones like he did with Bill Wyman. Thus, the sound is not coherent anymore.

Date: February 9, 2009 17:42

great, you (ablett) with me. take care

Date: February 9, 2009 17:44

You've only managed 19 posts in 3 days and all of them negative. Strange for someone so new. Or......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:48

LastStopThisTown
I believe many would be less critical of the band if they charged cheaper tickets AND put some real effort in to their shows. For £150 per ticket i just don't expect to be able to SEE them, i expect the performance of a life time. The simple fact is of late this just has not happened.

This is quite correct. It's a two-way street. If you're going to hike up ticket prices, then you're effectively making some kind of statement of intent about the standard of the show you're going to present.

In doing so, you're raising the level of the ticket buyer's expectations.

And in terms of the 'tourists' coming to these shows, you're effectively handing over the control of what songs you choose to play to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-09 18:26 by Gazza.

Date: February 9, 2009 17:59

i agreed with LastStop.

and you cannot deny that Keith does more posing than playing - not a negative but an honest appraisal.

PS-Thanks for looking up how many"posts" I made

Date: February 9, 2009 18:02

Keith.

Date: February 9, 2009 18:04

"and you cannot deny that Keith does more posing than playing - not a negative but an honest appraisal."

Look what a bit of effort can do! Well done.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:08

Once more:Mick should go karaoke,the cheapest solution for all Stones fans in these difficult times.smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2009 18:11

5,143 posts. so cool abbie

Date: February 9, 2009 18:21

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:24

Tantekäthe

1) Commercial reasoning obviously drives any of their moves, resulting - among other things - in a live show concept (setlists, line-up, arrangements) that is tailored towards the tourists. Routine and boredom have drowned out any spontaneity, creativity and joy; SFTD is the best example of this, they obviously hate it themselves but the masses are supposed to expect it from them. Who is to blame? I blame Mick for his greed and his conservatism, but much more do I blame Keith for his bigotry in enjoying both the wealth and the outlaw image and for taking a convenient back seat.

I dont think SFTD is that bad, but unfortunately I cant disagree with any of the rest of this statement. It's a great disappointment that Keith - so long the heart, soul and driving force of the band - has abdicated responsibility for it's direction (both onstage and in terms of creativity) and demoted himself to a role below that of Jagger and Cohl in influence.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:41

Turd On The Run

Is it Mick? Is it Keith? It is both, in a sense. (And on some nights Ronnie was the fulcrum of deterioration...)

Keith is the most obvious culprit in the Stone's decline. He was once the musical soul, the muse, the engine, and the engineer. At times of late he seems content to be a passenger. On stage his physical condition will vary wildly - one night there are flashes of the greatest rock and roll rhythm guitarist ever, other nights he will mostly noodle and rip out a few chords here and there...and pose a lot...he will have embarrassing lapses and his playing some nights is simply humiliatingly amateurish.

Mick's decline is more evident in his judgment...his insistence in embalming the Stones into a Globe-Trotting-Greatest-Hits-Juke-Box-version of a once intriguingly unpredictable and supple band and presenting a lowest-common-denominator show for the hundreds of thousands of fans and tourists...his insistence on replicated, repetitive spectacle over the once organic (and at time shambolic) flow of a supremely instinctual ensemble has robbed the Stones of much of their power to surprise. His stage presence is still nothing short of staggering, though...and his command of the stage dominates all aspects of the show.

His live singing often degenerates into a distractingly rote, nasal-y and thin shadow of his glory years...some of this is down to the natural aging process - in order to be able to continue on 18 month Global Tours he has to save the instrument and husband his strength. Yet when Jagger wants to...when the moment moves him...he still can kill a song dead. (Want proof? The execrable Streets of Love was transformed by Jagger into a highlight in concert by his committed and beautiful readings...he was engaged...he was trying...he single-handedly turned a clunker into a gem...that's a singer...)

And this leads to the reason why - to the long-time fan - the Stones seem to have hit a wall...the biggest reason, aside from the obvious physical decline in Keith, is that the Stones no longer play to their strengths. Their (Jagger's?) insistence on playing basically the same set they played three and a half decades ago needlessly exposes their weaknesses and puts them into a nostalgia-act straitjacket. The set they insist on presenting ad-infinitum not only willfully trivializes their more current output and robs them and their music of any relevance, but it betrays their age and musical shortcomings for the world to see...and reduces the band to mediocrity through sheer boredom and miscalculation.

A perfect example of this is Sympathy for the Devil - featured on Shine A Light and a centerpiece on all post-1989 tours. There is no legitimate reason anymore for this song to still be in the set - Mick sings it as caricature and Keith exposes himself to ridicule with his nightly discombobulation of a once-stunning and set-defining guitar solo...now degenerated into self-indulgent posing and mangled, cringe-inducing cacophony. What was once a generational touchstone has become painful parody. It's Only Rock and Roll - once (in 1975-76) a riproarin' firecracker - has all the bite of a rubber chicken. The Stones simply are not capable of pulling off these (and many others like All Down the Line, Sway, YCAGWYW) songs anymore. And they should not even try.

Why not play to their current strengths and artistic integrity instead? If the Stones concentrated more on material they are suited to play at this stage of their career - material that is excellent and reflects their current output - they would be a far better band. Songs like Out of Control, Laugh, I nearly Died, Saint of Me, Dangerous Beauty, Back of My Hand, Love is Strong, Low Down, Too Tight, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Rain Fall Down, and Back Of My Hand could be interspersed with Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man and When the Whip comes down as well as some covers like Imagination and 'Aint Too Proud To Beg and Little Red Rooster to make a sparkling set - it would inspire and stimulate the band to reach for challenging musical spaces, recapture their mastery of the Blues, and simultaneously give relevance to their late-career work. I've noticed how energized Jagger is when he sings newer (and non-warhorse) material like Saint of Me, Out of Control, and Streets of Love. He is a completely different singer than the going-through-the-motions marionette talk-singing Brown Sugar or Miss You for the 148,996th time. (The crowd is energized too...no one walks out because the Stones are playing Out of Control instead of YCAGWYW...no one.) I've also seen Jagger detonate songs like That's How Strong My Love Is...literally smash them with brilliance.

Keith's deterioration as a guitarist is lamentable, but if the Stones were to pare down their set to songs they are suited to play at this age and stage of their careers, if they would honor more of their late-career material, and if they would leave the Stadiums for less gargantuan arenas (they can make a 15,000 seat arena seem intimate - I have witnessed this) not only would they be a happier, more vital and engaged band, but their fans would be thrilled to see them functioning at this level again. Most importantly, they would discard some of the crass cloak of corporate avarice that they have wrapped around themselves the last 2 decades and regain their relevance as artists.

Apologies for the length of my rant...and thanks for a superb thread.

No apologies necessary. I agree with every word, in particular your comments about Sympathy. It works OK as a spectacle at a stadium show - especially for first timers - but take away the lights and the flames and it's a travesty of a once compelling song. On SAL, for example, it is,in my opinion, both unwatchable and unlistenable.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:44

ablett
Thaks for your support.cool smiley

Date: February 9, 2009 18:44

Great post, Turd. Agreed on all fronts.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 9, 2009 19:48

rebelrebel, just to note, this last world-wide tour was almost three years, not planned that way, including the breaks.

ablett, yes, Mick was sick during the Beacon filming, postponing the second show for a day, thus canceling another taping just for
extras. He is following a pattern on not singing on consecutive nights of late, without coming down with voice problems.

I think one reason Mick seems a parody to some in Shine a Light is that he is not really performing for the camera close-ups, but mainly
giving a concert for the whole house. For those of us in the balconies, Mick came off as anything but a parody. On the other hand the
show before the warhorses was much superior than the show that followed them. I do agree that newer material seems to bring out the best
in him, and that I hope Keith will play more in the future.

Date: February 9, 2009 19:50

Top post angee

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 9, 2009 19:57

Thank for being honest... you are right on the money

Tantekäthe

2) Keith's lost playing ability, maybe due to mental damage rather than to arthritis (to me, his self-indulgent posing on stage indicates there is something wrong with his perception of reality in general or at least with his ears, otherwise he would notice the embarrassment and hide away rather than expose himself; let alone the repetitive rubbish he talks in interviews..)

3) Mick's drifting into the "nasal" singing mode for most of the time that makes his vocal performances often unlistenable

4) The lack of a functioning rhythm section. Blondie Chaplin more or less compensates for Keith's absence, but Charlie Watts does not form a unit with Darryl Jones like he did with Bill Wyman. Thus, the sound is not coherent anymore.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 9, 2009 20:07

You really nail it there...thank you for your honesty.

Turd On The Run
There have been intermittent intimations of the Rolling Stone's "decline" since 1966 - I remember in my early youth reading a magazine claiming "their clothes don't fit them like they used to..." or some such similar piffle, mainly because they were in the middle of an astonishing run of Top Ten pop-rock singles and had seemingly turned their back on the blues (this is pre-Beggars Banquet, mind you). All throughout the 1970's the subject of the Stones "decline" was prevalent - most especially in the 1973-1977 period. Nevertheless, the decline is now inarguable. Some of the shows I witnessed during the last tour - especially the European legs in 2006/07 - Frankfurt, Cologne, Nijmegen - were painful to watch for a person who has seen them numerous times in the last 35 years. The decline was dismaying.

Is it Mick? Is it Keith? It is both, in a sense. (And on some nights Ronnie was the fulcrum of deterioration...)

Keith is the most obvious culprit in the Stone's decline. He was once the musical soul, the muse, the engine, and the engineer. At times of late he seems content to be a passenger. On stage his physical condition will vary wildly - one night there are flashes of the greatest rock and roll rhythm guitarist ever, other nights he will mostly noodle and rip out a few chords here and there...and pose a lot...he will have embarrassing lapses and his playing some nights is simply humiliatingly amateurish.

Mick's decline is more evident in his judgment...his insistence in embalming the Stones into a Globe-Trotting-Greatest-Hits-Juke-Box-version of a once intriguingly unpredictable and supple band and presenting a lowest-common-denominator show for the hundreds of thousands of fans and tourists...his insistence on replicated, repetitive spectacle over the once organic (and at time shambolic) flow of a supremely instinctual ensemble has robbed the Stones of much of their power to surprise. His stage presence is still nothing short of staggering, though...and his command of the stage dominates all aspects of the show.

His live singing often degenerates into a distractingly rote, nasal-y and thin shadow of his glory years...some of this is down to the natural aging process - in order to be able to continue on 18 month Global Tours he has to save the instrument and husband his strength. Yet when Jagger wants to...when the moment moves him...he still can kill a song dead. (Want proof? The execrable Streets of Love was transformed by Jagger into a highlight in concert by his committed and beautiful readings...he was engaged...he was trying...he single-handedly turned a clunker into a gem...that's a singer...)

And this leads to the reason why - to the long-time fan - the Stones seem to have hit a wall...the biggest reason, aside from the obvious physical decline in Keith, is that the Stones no longer play to their strengths. Their (Jagger's?) insistence on playing basically the same set they played three and a half decades ago needlessly exposes their weaknesses and puts them into a nostalgia-act straitjacket. The set they insist on presenting ad-infinitum not only willfully trivializes their more current output and robs them and their music of any relevance, but it betrays their age and musical shortcomings for the world to see...and reduces the band to mediocrity through sheer boredom and miscalculation.

A perfect example of this is Sympathy for the Devil - featured on Shine A Light and a centerpiece on all post-1989 tours. There is no legitimate reason anymore for this song to still be in the set - Mick sings it as caricature and Keith exposes himself to ridicule with his nightly discombobulation of a once-stunning and set-defining guitar solo...now degenerated into self-indulgent posing and mangled, cringe-inducing cacophony. What was once a generational touchstone has become painful parody. It's Only Rock and Roll - once (in 1975-76) a riproarin' firecracker - has all the bite of a rubber chicken. The Stones simply are not capable of pulling off these (and many others like All Down the Line, Sway, YCAGWYW) songs anymore. And they should not even try.

Why not play to their current strengths and artistic integrity instead? If the Stones concentrated more on material they are suited to play at this stage of their career - material that is excellent and reflects their current output - they would be a far better band. Songs like Out of Control, Laugh, I nearly Died, Saint of Me, Dangerous Beauty, Love is Strong, Low Down, Too Tight, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Rain Fall Down, and Back Of My Hand could be interspersed with Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man and When the Whip comes down as well as some covers like Imagination and 'Aint Too Proud To Beg and Little Red Rooster to make a sparkling set - it would inspire and stimulate the band to reach for challenging musical spaces, recapture their mastery of the Blues, and simultaneously give relevance to their late-career work. I've noticed how energized Jagger is when he sings newer (and non-warhorse) material like Saint of Me, Out of Control, and Streets of Love. He is a completely different singer than the going-through-the-motions marionette talk-singing Brown Sugar or Miss You for the 148,996th time. (The crowd is energized too...no one walks out because the Stones are playing Out of Control instead of YCAGWYW...no one.) I've also seen Jagger detonate songs like That's How Strong My Love Is...literally smash them with brilliance.

Keith's deterioration as a guitarist is lamentable, but if the Stones were to pare down their set to songs they are suited to play at this age and stage of their careers, if they would honor more of their late-career material, and if they would leave the Stadiums for less gargantuan arenas (they can make a 15,000 seat arena seem intimate - I have witnessed this) not only would they be a happier, more vital and engaged band, but their fans would be thrilled to see them functioning at this level again. Most importantly, they would discard some of the crass cloak of corporate avarice that they have wrapped around themselves the last 2 decades and regain their relevance as artists.

Apologies for the length of my rant...and thanks for a superb thread.

Date: February 9, 2009 20:11

Isn't it a shame that the top 5 threads on this board, 3 are negative towards the stones.....

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home