Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Broken ´56 LP junior
Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: February 4, 2009 01:48

My Life sucks!
My loved mother in law has just died,
and today while rehearsing with my band
I droped my ´56 junior and broked the headstock.
Life can´t be worse!
Give me a drink or fiften!!!!
Tommy

Re: Broken ´56 LP junior
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 4, 2009 11:02

You have my sympathy. The comfort is, after all, that the broken headstock is repairable, even if you afterwards will own a '56 junior with a fixed headstock. But the guitar will be as good as it was if fixed by a professional.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 4, 2009 15:01

send it to the gibson custom shop and they should fix it up real good for ya

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 4, 2009 20:32

Sorry to hear about the loss of mother-in-law Cosmo. The guitar at least can be fixed. The Gibson Custom Shop will be expensive. You can go to the Les Paul Forum (www.lespaulforum.com) and go to the Vintage Les Paul section for advice on good luthiers in your area. Good luck and God bless.

Date: February 4, 2009 21:04

as for my advice in using the gibson custom shop for repairs,#1 you have a valuable vintage gibson that's worth a good deal of money #2 the old saying of you pay for what you get (buy cheap pay TWICE).so if that's me with a valuable vintage gibson ,i am going directly to the best gibson itself .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 4, 2009 21:17

The Greek
as for my advice in using the gibson custom shop for repairs,#1 you have a valuable vintage gibson that's worth a good deal of money #2 the old saying of you pay for what you get (buy cheap pay TWICE).so if that's me with a valuable vintage gibson ,i am going directly to the best gibson itself .

The CS shop is very good in creating instruments but they aren't particularly experienced in repairing damaged instruments. There's some very, very good luthiers with years of experience in repairing damaged vintage instruments.

Mathijs

Date: February 4, 2009 21:22

Mathijs, you are dead wrong .i speak from first hand expierence .you go thru a authorised gibson dealer to first make the arrangments ,and then your instrument is shipped out to the gibson custom shop and then the magic happens.now the fender custom shop is not big on doing this kinds work unless you are a high profile client like a billy gibbons or keith or ronnie himself .with fender custom shop if you are a average guy it's like go away ,with gibson it's all about money and believe it or not gibson prices are very resonable .that in it self was very surprising.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 4, 2009 21:36

I had a 72 Black Beauty with a crack where the headstock and neck meet. It played fine after the repair. Where are you located, maybe I can recomend someone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2009 21:54

"with Gibson it's all about money"

and how much exactly... 5000$? Less?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 4, 2009 22:30

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. my condolences.

...about the LP Junior - that surly sucks, but it can be repaired.
If you have the nerve and skill, you could even fix it yourself.
Ok for a '56 Junior, I don't really recommend that - better find an experienced luthier.
just to give you an idea of whats gonna happen and that these guys also use plain water to cook:
[www.projectguitar.com]

as the guitar is now rendered useless, you can easiely dispose it by sending it to me. I'll even pay for shipping...just kiddin'

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2009 22:33

Open-g your link's scary. This guitar could now be sold as " in very nice condition" on E-scam pardon Ebay... Brrrr...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 4, 2009 23:20

The Greek
Mathijs, you are dead wrong .i speak from first hand expierence .you go thru a authorised gibson dealer to first make the arrangments ,and then your instrument is shipped out to the gibson custom shop and then the magic happens.now the fender custom shop is not big on doing this kinds work unless you are a high profile client like a billy gibbons or keith or ronnie himself .with fender custom shop if you are a average guy it's like go away ,with gibson it's all about money and believe it or not gibson prices are very resonable .that in it self was very surprising.

Well, each their own. In the Gibson CS about 50 employees build all guitars under the auspicien of just a few head luthiers. They only get the occasional repair job to do.

My personal preference would be to send a vintage guitar to a luthier whom has spent 30 years working on repairing vintage guitars over a custom shop with a employees and luthiers focussed on building new guitars (and are very skilled at it).

To spray paint a new guitar is a complete different art then repairing 50 yeard dryed out nitro finish.

Not many (if none) of rock royalty like Clapton, Townsend, Wood and Richards send their guitars to any CS shop for repair. They all have different luthiers for those jobs.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-05 00:46 by Mathijs.

Date: February 5, 2009 00:56

My point wasn't to scrimp on repairing the guitar Greek, only to say their are very capable luthiers who don't work for Gibson who could do the repair as well if not better. Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto recently restored a '59 Sunburst Les Paulto perfection and routinely restore vintage Martins.

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: February 7, 2009 22:48

Thank You,

This is not the first time it happens to me!
Twenty years or so ago, same thing happend
to my ´69 Gold Top and I got it perfecly
repaired and it´s stil a damn good guitar.
But I was so frustrated when same thing
happened again, the first time the Cross Lock
lost it´s grip, and now the screw holding the
Cross lock ! I´m cooler now and I now it will be
nicely repaired. It´s one of my main guitars
and I will never sell her so I really don´t mind
the money loss.

Thank You Everybody Out There

Tommy

Date: February 7, 2009 23:04

Gibsons are fragile guitars Tommy as you have discovered. Have you considered Fenders? I've dropped both my Tele and Strat and they barely were nicked. Pete Townsend could destroy a Gibson in one fell swoop but it took him a few whacks to break a Strat in a scene from "The Kids are Alright" if memory serves!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 8, 2009 00:05

sorry to hear!
for the guitar: i broke the neck on my les paul twice and my sg 3 (three!) times.
if you find a good guitarstore with pros fixing it, it's no problem.
you wont hear and see anything....believe me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home