Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Tina Turner turn off
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 2, 2009 06:29

Tina put on a hell of a show here not too long ago. It's a bit over-produced at times, but when you talk about ticket prices, you can see where a lot of the money goes. The stage is elaborate - the only set-up I've seen that rivals the Stones in size and complexity - and it's not a small crew. She works her butt off, gives an incredible performance and can still deliver. And I agree with some of the above comments too - who knows who is making the decision about prices? She's a bloody legend, and this is her 50th Anniversary tour - I'm inclined to enjoy the damn show and give her a big hand!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 2, 2009 09:41

SomeTorontoGirl
Tina put on a hell of a show here not too long ago. It's a bit over-produced at times, but when you talk about ticket prices, you can see where a lot of the money goes. The stage is elaborate - the only set-up I've seen that rivals the Stones in size and complexity - and it's not a small crew. She works her butt off, gives an incredible performance and can still deliver. And I agree with some of the above comments too - who knows who is making the decision about prices? She's a bloody legend, and this is her 50th Anniversary tour - I'm inclined to enjoy the damn show and give her a big hand!

Agree. Beast and BRQ and I and Mrs PW have just snapped up front centre block 7th row tix for her O2 show on 11th March, not too bad I thought ... the tix work out at 188 UK Pounds each. Bear in mind, these have a face value of just over 100 I think it is, so considering we're getting them from a re-seller, not too bad. I don't think Tina's over-charging at all, I think the face value prices of her tickets are within reason.

Date: February 2, 2009 10:14

In terms of ticket pricing the Stones are among the worst.In 2007 £70 got you a ticket right at the back of the O2. This year £70 gets you a seat virtually by the stage for Eric Clapton at the RAH.

Anyway Tina deserves aevery penny she can get for puting up with that arsehole Ike for so long.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 2, 2009 10:47

stoned in washington dc
Palace Revolution 2000
I am with Doxa on this one. (and yeah I'll go @#$%& myself too)
What does that mean "a performer of her stature"? And that is a license to gouge tix prices? The only right or license anyone has is to be righteous. I see major acts who try to do right by their fans no matter how big they get.

Like who? Even Tom Petty was charging 150 for the best seats this summer!

You guys want to sit and bitch about ticket prices go ahead but they're all charging those kinds of prices...Stones, Who, Macca, Tina, Eagles

There are only two exceptions really: Bruce and ACDC.

To single out Tina is crazy and to call her a greedy bitch nonsenssical.

I don't know anything about the prices in United States of America - I am barely referring to the market here and to the very place she happen to perform in April. There has never been a music event in Finland I have paid more than 100 Euros. For reason or other she decided to hitch the prices to a new level. I love Tina and her music but I don't consider her twice as worthy as Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young or John Fogerty. There is also a moral point: I don't want to be a part of idiotic mechanism that helps the business going to unhealty, stupid direction. In fact - taking the economical situation it is, I see the Turner concert as a symbolic middle finger statement. I personally hope the show is an economical fiasco - to show that there are some limits in greedy as well. In worst scenario, it will be sold out, and the next time some big name plays there, the ticket prices will have the Tina pushing effect. I am sad that this happening to Tina Turner - a performer I have loved for decades - but it would be a double standard from my side to "forgive" her. Business is business - both directions.

To put some context: Metallica is going to play two concerts in the same venue next summer. The band ordered the price limits to suit their fan base, but the promotor said they could have easily sold out the concerts at double prices. I know they could have; they are huge in Finland.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 2, 2009 11:03

Doxa,calling her "greedy bitch" wasn´t necessary at all.
And maybe it´s one more "idiot-term-thing",it remains unnecessary !

I remember a short vacation in 1984 in the ardennes in Belgium.
I´ve forgotten the village´s name and I´m glad I did.
I saw some advertisement (poster) at the busstation,telling she´s going
to perform in some kind of a tent for let´s say 500 people for some lousy francs...
(Even T&A wouldn´t call her "tent show queen"...)

So why shouldn´t she be entitled now to call up such ticket prices others do
as well ?
If she fails,and the show gets cancelled,bad luck,so what ?

Date: February 2, 2009 11:11

stoned in washington dc

really doxa... if people want to pay the money and enjoy themselves who are you to say anything?

Of course I cannot help people giving huge sums to, say, "the Church of the Sacred Bleeding Heart of Jesus Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California", if they are willing to do. All I can hope that people come to their senses, and vote with their feet.

What goes for "saying anything", were I come from we have this funny thing called liberty of speech - you know, like expressing one's opinions. The scope of this freedom is determined by BV here.

- Doxa

Date: February 2, 2009 11:24

shortfatfanny
Doxa,calling her "greedy bitch" wasn´t necessary at all.
And maybe it´s one more "idiot-term-thing",it remains unnecessary !

I remember a short vacation in 1984 in the ardennes in Belgium.
I´ve forgotten the village´s name and I´m glad I did.
I saw some advertisement (poster) at the busstation,telling she´s going
to perform in some kind of a tent for let´s say 500 people for some lousy francs...
(Even T&A wouldn´t call her "tent show queen"...)

So why shouldn´t she be entitled now to call up such ticket prices others do
as well ?
If she fails,and the show gets cancelled,bad luck,so what ?

Yeah, sorry my language - I will censor myself. Listened too much The Rolling Stones that seemed to affect my voacabulary...

Like I said above - business is business - and the Stones have been played in tents as well - and I will not pay for twice as much I do for, say, Dylan because she had a lousy marriage with Ike. I don't go to Dylan show because I feel so sad that Sarah dumped him decades ago.

So my point is I will not tolerete Tina's ticket policy because she is Tina. You know, there is a litte Robin Hood in myself that is fighting in a "dream world of objective and fair and common sensic rock show ticket prices"... Tina stepped over the line of my feeling of solidarity into that world. But I am afraid what will happen when the Stones come to town...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 11:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 2, 2009 11:29

Well,I´m the last to justify that damned ticket prices,I agree with you.
Honourable to admit a "miss-take",hats off to you,Doxa.

But hey,the Stones played at Circus Krone in Munich 2003 for some lousy Euros.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: February 2, 2009 12:02

Doxa
The Stones
Doxa
That greedy bitch is taking 109 to 139 Euros for her rip off tour

smile: Please don't forget that the Rolling Stones charged up to 150 UK Pounds plus fees at the O2 shows in London 2007, i.e 170 Euros plus fees.

I think it is general knowledge in this board that the Stones are the worst greedy bastards out there. It is sad that the others have got the same disease as well. A bloody music show is not a worth of that money. I hope the people will come to their senses some day.

- Doxa

Te Stones are THE BEST greedy bastartds out there.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 2, 2009 12:56

You could always go down to your local pub to see a band free Doxa!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-02 12:56 by pgarof.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home